Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #481
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
I haven't read the rest of this thread, but should I buy the new album or not?
Just a simple yes/no will do.
thanks.



Amy,





__________________

__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #482
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 02:00 AM
How to Dismantle an Atomic Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post
No my logic is, if you have only negative things to say, and to say them repeatedly, in different threads, then why bother saying them at all...
Exactly. "Repeatedly" is the operative word. We're all critical at various points here...it's called "debate" and "discussion." Sarcasm and humour are often a great part of the mix, but there's a line, you know? For example, there's a huge difference between calling the lead singer of a band you dislike a "twat" and (repeatedly) calling him a "piece of shit." That definition should maybe be reserved for certain political leaders, or people who shoot squirrels for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
...If it reminds people of Streets, it reminds people of Streets. You can't disprove that. And the bottom line is that if there are a significant number of people who believe it, then Coldplay is doing something wrong (or right, depending on how you want to look at it).
Kind of like how you remind me of Rob, and that a significant number of people may believe that? You might be doing something wrong (or right, depending on how you want to look at it).

The only U2-like quality I hear is the vocal part at the end...the "OH-Ohhh-Ohhh! part. U2 certainly don't own the copyright to that. Check out anything by The Arcade Fire. The rest of the song? It's like a fusion of Sigur Rós, Radiohead...and perhaps even Coldplay, themselves? It's just a beautiful instrumental that works wonders while hiking with your mp3 player. What more do you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
I haven't read the rest of this thread, but should I buy the new album or not?
Just a simple yes/no will do.
thanks.
Yes. (It's also the title of my favourite song on the album.)
__________________

__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #483
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,804
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelordevil View Post
U2 certainly don't own the copyright to that.
Does that matter? It reminds them of U2. Let it remind them of U2 and leave it at that.

It actually reminds me of some instrumentals from David Bowie's Low.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #484
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,960
Local Time: 11:30 PM
U2 reminds me of Television, as that's who they blatantly ripped off, so by association should we all be saying Coldplay ripped off Television?

Thread over. Shut the fuck up, everyone.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #485
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Does that matter? It reminds them of U2. Let it remind them of U2 and leave it at that.
I did say the ending reminded me of U2.

This is my point: There's a massive difference between a person using "reminds," and saying "the piece of shit copied," and then someone else referencing 14 different album reviews because they can't utilize their own thoughts to form an opinion. That attitude bothers me, GREATLY, obviously. I wish I could "leave it at that," but I'm obviously very anal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It actually reminds me of some instrumentals from David Bowie's Low.
I'm blaming Brian Eno for all of this.
__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #486
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 07:30 AM
Bottomline, whether they copied other artists or not, the album is fucking good! It's aural pleasure and meant to be experienced on good speakers. Sure, I hear Radiohead, Arcade Fire and U2 influences but nothing sounds blatant to me.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #487
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Bottomline, whether they copied other artists or not, the album is fucking good! It's aural pleasure and meant to be experienced on good speakers. Sure, I hear Radiohead, Arcade Fire and U2 influences but nothing sounds blatant to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Bottomline, whether they copied other artists or not, the album is fucking good! It's aural pleasure and meant to be experienced on good speakers. Sure, I hear Radiohead, Arcade Fire and U2 influences but nothing sounds blatant to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Bottomline, whether they copied other artists or not, the album is fucking good! It's aural pleasure and meant to be experienced on good speakers. Sure, I hear Radiohead, Arcade Fire and U2 influences but nothing sounds blatant to me.
I think you nailed it.
__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #488
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,718
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
I haven't read the rest of this thread, but should I buy the new album or not?
Just a simple yes/no will do.
thanks.
Yes.

__________________
corianderstem is online now  
Old 06-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #489
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,279
Local Time: 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
I haven't read the rest of this thread, but should I buy the new album or not?
Just a simple yes/no will do.
thanks.
No.
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is online now  
Old 06-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #490
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,804
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
I haven't read the rest of this thread, but should I buy the new album or not?
Just a simple yes/no will do.
thanks.



Amy,
Listen first, then decide.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #491
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
no no you have it all wrong...I stand by everything I have said up until the post before last...the only thing that was proved was that "Life..." and Streets do not have similar chord progressions...and that's not even what I was trying to say in my original post, but yes, it sure looks like that's what I was saying. In my original post, I was simply commenting on the fact that certain chord progressions like the one heard in "Lovers In Japan/Reign of Love" and certain song structures, etc. aren't really debatable. Those are definitive aspects of music that "are what they are." I didn't mean to connect that statement to the question of whether or not Streets and "Life..." had the same chord progression or not, but the way I constructed that original post made it seem like that was in fact what I was doing. I am knowledgeable enough musically to know that Streets and Life In Technicolor do not have the same chord progression...even someone without muchmusical training could see that. Pfan, nothing was proved wrong except the idea that Streets doesn't have the same chord progression as "Life...," and that wasn't even what I was trying to prove...I just misspoke...if you think I'm trying to cover my ass I really don't know what to tell you, except to just not get too worked up over it, and don't let it keep you up at night...and...besides...what do you mean, "trying to cover your ass" - why would I even try to do that? You aren't making sense

Coldplay is still nothing more than a U2 ripoff band...a dumbed down, pathetic, sugary version of a rock and roll band...you can deny it all you want, but it's really not a far-fetched idea. So Pfan, "He copies U2 ... wait, that was disproved ..." - NO, you're wrong, that wasn't disproved...GG proved that "Streets" doesn't have the same chord progression as "Life..." - that's it...you get that? Or do you need this spoon fed to you?
Rob, you blatantly said that Life in Technicolor and Where the Streets Have No Name have the same chord progression:

Quote:
how can you say that "Life In Technicolor" isn't a rip of Streets/COBL?!?! Chord progressions, song structure, etc. cannot be argued based on interpretation...it is what it is...
You're literally saying: "You cannot argue that Life in Technicolor is not a rip-off of Streets/COBL because chord progressions and song structure cannot be argued." And now are saying you never said that, and that we are "misinterpreting" your post because you "phrased it incorrectly."

And you're trying to make me believe you, and it's not working. How am I supposed to take anything you say seriously after that? You're telling me one thing when another thing happened. You're trying to make me into a fool, and I'm not having it. And you cannot expect me to take anything you say seriously while you sit here, and yes, cover your own ass. You're trying to cover your blatantly incorrect statement as a misinterpretation to try to be taken seriously. That's covering your ass.

So, I really hope no one engages you any longer unless you stop trying to bullshit us. I find it insulting that you are trying to fool me like this, like I'm not smart enough to notice your mistakes.

The equivalent of what you are doing is if I were to start saying right now and from now on in this thread that I did not accuse you of trying to cover your own ass. I've said it multiple times, but now I'm going to say it never happened and you only believe that because of some poor phrasing. That's the stupidity of what you are trying to do right now.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #492
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
What?! I don't understand how you do not understand what I'm saying....are you sure you read my last post carefully? Not sure what you're talking about- In my original post, the one GG posted, I said some things "are what they are," and that idea was separate from the Streets/Life.. statement...but if I remember correctly, I mention all this in one small paragraph in back-to-back sentences so it comes off as if I'm saying Streets and "Life In..." have the same chord progression. In my last post, I wasn't saying that I misspoke regarding my original statement that some things in music are definitive like chord progressions, etc. and "are what they are"...What I said was that the "are what they are" statement was misinterpreted by GG and I'm sure others, and thought to be connected to the Streets/Life in.. comment, and as a result, GG thought that I meant that the chord progressions in Street and Life In... were clearly the same (are what they are) so she posted the chord progressions for us to prove that they were in fact different. And what do you mean not wanting to admit my original post was incorrect? It wasn't incorrect, that's what I'm trying to tell you!!! My original post, the one GG found, was simply poorly written and misleading- I'm not trying to "cover my ass" or whatever the hell you guys think I'm doing....
It's very understandable why he doesn't get your post: he's giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming your correction is genuine. Only problem is, to make that assumption is to read something that doesn't make sense. Because that's the case: your current posts make no sense. You're continually denying something GG quoted. Something we all saw, something we all know happened: you said Streets and LIT have the same chord progression. It wasn't poor phrasing: you said that. It happened.

What you're trying to do is say you didn't mean to say that. But you did, and you were proven wrong, and now you're trying to look like you know what you're talking about still by saying you weren't wrong.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #493
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
There's no point in getting technical about the mechanics of it, because all that proves is that Coldplay didn't try to carbon copy anything, which has never been the real argument. If it reminds people of Streets, it reminds people of Streets. You can't disprove that. And the bottom line is that if there are a significant number of people who believe it, then Coldplay is doing something wrong (or right, depending on how you want to look at it).
You cannot prove it or disprove it. I've not even listened to the song, but it's just a person-by-person thing, plain and simple.

Screwy thinks HMTMKMKM sounds like Panic in Detroit. God only knows why, but he does. Should this same point hold true in that case?
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #494
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 01:30 AM
pfan...
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #495
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,804
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
You cannot prove it or disprove it. I've not even listened to the song, but it's just a person-by-person thing, plain and simple.

Screwy thinks HMTMKMKM sounds like Panic in Detroit. God only knows why, but he does. Should this same point hold true in that case?
It all depends on the phrasing, my good man. If you believe something sounds like something else, that's just fine, but once you start using words/phrases like "stolen", "carbon copy", and "Chris Martin is a piece of shit who steals from Bono at every turn", things become more objective.

Screwy used "stolen", Rob used...all of those in form. Therefore, I'm with you 100%.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com