Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every Wednesday, I take part in the team trivia game at this sports bar I love. Last night we had a "Name That Tune" round where you'd here a tiny snippet of a song. One of these was the first ten seconds or so of "Speed of Sound."

Most teams put "Clocks." One put "City of Blinding Lights."

High comedy.

Every Wednesday, I take part in the team trivia game at this sports bar I love. Last night we had a "Name That Tune" round where you'd here a tiny snippet of a song. One of these was the first ten seconds or so of "Speed of Sound."

Most teams put "Clocks." One put "City of Blinding Lights."

High comedy.

COBL! :laugh:

For me, the stand out tracks are...

Life In Technicolor
Cemetaries Of London
Lost!
Lovers In Japan
Yes
Viva La Vida
Violet Hill
Strawberry Swing
Death And All His Friends

Haha I'm pretty much serious too! The only ones I might remove from that list are LiT and Violet Hill maaaybe. But those are awesome too!

COBL! :laugh:

For me, the stand out tracks are...

Life In Technicolor
Cemetaries Of London
Lost!
Lovers In Japan
Yes
Viva La Vida
Violet Hill
Strawberry Swing
Death And All His Friends

I notice you have no love for Reign Of Love, Chinese Sleep Chant and The Escapist.
:sad:

I really like all of the tracks except 42, not a big fan, and if you count Reign of Love separately.

Nothing like starting a beautiful sunny saturday morning brewing a cup of coffee and blasting Viva La Vinyl thru the speakers!

My vinyl copy skipped a little bit during one song and I definitely heard some crackles and pops here and there. I'm a vinyl newb so somebody educate me. Do brand new records do this too? :huh: Maybe it is the little bit of dust on the surface? I don't know what to clean it with.

Brian Eno story about coldplay on coldplaying.com

One fine day' — there's a funny story about that," Brian Eno says with a smile, referring to one of the 11 songs on Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, the new, gleaming art-pop album the British producer and occasional solo artist has made with his friend, ex-Talking Heads singer-guitarist David Byrne.

Sitting at a table across from Byrne in the latter's Lower Manhattan office, Eno says that at a point early in the record's extended birth, he played a piece of instrumental music in his London studio for Coldplay's Chris Martin: "Chris said, 'Wow, I'd love to work on that.' I'd given it to David a few months before and hadn't heard anything back. So I gave it to Chris."

Also I hear from that site that:

Coldplay sews for fun, and 'are worse than they were yesterday', reports CinemaBlend, in an article posted earlier today.

If it’s possible, Coldplay got even dreamier, more artsy and more pseudo-bohemian than ever, when AOL News reported Wednesday that the band enjoys spending their free time sewing and modifying their clothes. My man-crush on them is now complete.

“Making clothes together in our studio makes us feel complete,” Chris Martin said, philosophically stroking his stubbled chin and batting his long eyelashes. “We probably sound like a group of grannies in a knitting circle, but it's the truth, and it gives us some control over our visual identity.” He continued, “When you are a big band and everyone is taking shots at you [pause for emphasis], the more things you can do together the better. And if you're wearing uniforms made by your own hands it helps achieve that.” Bring on the high-school girls.

If it’s possible, Coldplay got even dreamier, more artsy and more pseudo-bohemian than ever, when AOL News reported Wednesday that the band enjoys spending their free time sewing and modifying their clothes. My man-crush on them is now complete.

“Making clothes together in our studio makes us feel complete,” Chris Martin said, philosophically stroking his stubbled chin and batting his long eyelashes. “We probably sound like a group of grannies in a knitting circle, but it's the truth, and it gives us some control over our visual identity.” He continued, “When you are a big band and everyone is taking shots at you [pause for emphasis], the more things you can do together the better. And if you're wearing uniforms made by your own hands it helps achieve that.” Bring on the high-school girls.

:barf:

I don't think you need me to tell you that ain't rock and roll, but I will anyway.

This is them showing proof that somebody won an autographed copy of the album:

cpdisc.jpg

What's up with the guy on the right? lol.

Chris looks less lame with a shaved head.

No poodles, no problem.

That's because they do. It blows my mind how insecure U2 fans are about Coldplay. (similar to how Radiohead fans used to be with Muse, which seems to have died off a bit) It's odd to me that U2 fans of all people would dislike someone for liking, talking about, and being influenced by U2. Pathetic. They're a good band who presently get far more press and attention than one of the many bands they cite as an influence, get over it.

HEY-O!!!

Hello, hello... old time interference user here who likes to show up every, oh... I don't know... 6 months? 2 years? 3 years? or so.... hello! :wave:

Just for context, I've been a die hard U2 fan since I was 12 (right at the height of the Zoo TV tour)... and strangely, while I was never head-over-heels in love with Coldplay, I really liked A Rush of Blood to the Head to the point where I look at it as one of my favourite albums that defines the year 2003 for me. But never had I ever really listened to Coldplay and thought they were ripping off U2. Sure, there were influences, but never a full-on rip off. Yet, I've been aware that others have constantly compared the two bands. I was never a part of that.

Now, July 2008 comes around and I decided to go to the Pemberton Festival in the middle of the Coast Mountain ranges, where Coldplay and Jay-Z were headlining on the final night of the 3 day festival. With exception to seeing Coldplay perform on Jon Stewart (and being bombarded with Viva La Viva on the radio), it was my first introduction to the new album.

With Viva La Viva stuck in my head, and being introduced to the song Lost! live in concert, I went out and bought the new album. And holy!! Now, there's an album that summons the spirit of the atmopsheric experimental U2 that I crave and miss.

You know... Bad, The Unforgettable Fire (song), A Sort of Homecoming, Love Comes Tumbling, Night & Day, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, etc.

But in this case, I don't even know if it's a coincidence... it's not just "the spirit of U2", but full on replications of exact sounds.

Usually when I hear a song and I hear an immediate and uncanny likeness to U2, I'll call up my sister and we'll chat and gawk about this, as it seems that only we can stomach these kinds of U2-music-geek conversations without anybody rolling their eyes. ;)

Ex: The Coldplay song Low from X&Y. Listen to that and don't tell me you don't hear War-era U2 in that song.

So... with all this chat about Viva la Vida, surely I am not the only U2 fan who hears this:

Cemeteries of London - They took The 4th of July (from the Unforgettable Fire) and added lyrics. Thanks Edge for that touching solo. I can almost envision you (at 1:43) performing on the heart shaped catwalks... and the vocals that immediately follow... Bono? Is that you? Edge, is that you singing the la la la's? And at 2:58 why do I hear an uncanny resemblance to the end of Until the End of the World? or the end of The First Time? (And what's with that Elbow piano track?)

(See, only true U2 geeks can appreciate this level of detail, everyone else just thinks I'm nuts!) ;)

Lost! - Okay, they've harnessed Peter Gabriel for this one. Next!

42 - How long, to sing this.... oh wait! This doesn't sound like U2 - it's a traditional-sounding Coldplay song. At least they didn't put this as the final track of their Unforgettable Fire album!

Lovers in Japan - The melting audio tracks... the reverb... Edge's guitar from the Joshua Tree. This is certainly the long lost track from the Joshua Tree... even the vocal style. The whole way this song is structured is just... well, I absolutely LOVE it. But I love it because it takes me back to a nostalgic period in U2's past... and kudos to Coldplay for managing to find that space and bring it to 2008. If you're going to compare Coldplay to U2, then this song should be the reason.

Reign of Love There's a U2-esque lullaby akin to MLK... but I can't quite put my finger on it. Kind of like The First Time, but not quite.

Yes/Chinese Sleep Chant Not very U2-ish in my eyes, at least not immediately. Somehow it reminds me of the Dandy Warhols for the first part, and the second part should have been a Kevin Shields outtake for the Lost in Translation soundtrack!

Anyhow... I had to get that off my chest, and I figured this was a good a forum as any, seeming as I'm sure I'm not alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom