Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 04:53 AM   #466
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:28 AM
Rob, you're an idiot.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #467
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
no no you have it all wrong...I stand by everything I have said up until the post before last...the only thing that was proved was that "Life..." and Streets do not have similar chord progressions...and that's not even what I was trying to say in my original post, but yes, it sure looks like that's what I was saying. In my original post, I was simply commenting on the fact that certain chord progressions like the one heard in "Lovers In Japan/Reign of Love" and certain song structures, etc. aren't really debatable. Those are definitive aspects of music that "are what they are." I didn't mean to connect that statement to the question of whether or not Streets and "Life..." had the same chord progression or not, but the way I constructed that original post made it seem like that was in fact what I was doing. I am knowledgeable enough musically to know that Streets and Life In Technicolor do not have the same chord progression...even someone without much musical training could see that. Pfan, nothing was proved wrong except the idea that Streets doesn't have the same chord progression as "Life...," and that wasn't even what I was trying to prove...I just misspoke...if you think I'm trying to cover my ass I really don't know what to tell you, except to just not get too worked up over it, and don't let it keep you up at night...and...besides...what do you mean, "trying to cover your ass" - why would I even try to do that? You aren't making sense

So what are you now trying to say? You said something in your original post that you were not trying to say, but you wanted to say that some definitive things in music aren't debatable but "are what they are". Which is kinda what your original post said.
I don't get it. It seems an awful lot that you're really trying to cover your ass, not wanting to admit that your original post was incorrect.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #468
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Rob, you're an idiot.
oh you're cool.....real cool...nice little interjection there.....hey coolian, we don't need your input...thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post

So what are you now trying to say? You said something in your original post that you were not trying to say, but you wanted to say that some definitive things in music aren't debatable but "are what they are". Which is kinda what your original post said.
I don't get it. It seems an awful lot that you're really trying to cover your ass, not wanting to admit that your original post was incorrect.
What?! I don't understand how you do not understand what I'm saying....are you sure you read my last post carefully? Not sure what you're talking about- In my original post, the one GG posted, I said some things "are what they are," and that idea was separate from the Streets/Life.. statement...but if I remember correctly, I mention all this in one small paragraph in back-to-back sentences so it comes off as if I'm saying Streets and "Life In..." have the same chord progression. In my last post, I wasn't saying that I misspoke regarding my original statement that some things in music are definitive like chord progressions, etc. and "are what they are"...What I said was that the "are what they are" statement was misinterpreted by GG and I'm sure others, and thought to be connected to the Streets/Life in.. comment, and as a result, GG thought that I meant that the chord progressions in Street and Life In... were clearly the same (are what they are) so she posted the chord progressions for us to prove that they were in fact different. And what do you mean not wanting to admit my original post was incorrect? It wasn't incorrect, that's what I'm trying to tell you!!! My original post, the one GG found, was simply poorly written and misleading- I'm not trying to "cover my ass" or whatever the hell you guys think I'm doing....
Old 06-28-2008, 06:05 AM   #469
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Did he kill your puppy or something? Why so much anger for a simple rock singer?
Nuh, it's cos Chris is shagging Gwyneth. It's clearly getting on Rob's tits.

And talking about getting on one's tits, seriously Rob, if you dislike Coldplay so much, why do you participate in all the Coldplay threads? Do you not have a life? Do you like other bands? Talk about them. Geez, there's an election going on, we the rest of the world would like you Yanks to spend some quality time and consider well and elect someone useful!!!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 06:22 AM   #470
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
oh you're cool.....real cool...nice little interjection there.....hey coolian, we don't need your input...thanks.
Why? It seems as though my input is equally as valuable as yours.

Furthermore i haven't heard the album yet, but i'm willing to give it a fair chance, which you aren't, thus the thread has more value to me.

Plus my postcount is bigger. So there.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:30 AM   #471
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post

And talking about getting on one's tits, seriously Rob, if you dislike Coldplay so much, why do you participate in all the Coldplay threads? Do you not have a life? Do you like other bands? Talk about them. Geez, there's an election going on, we the rest of the world would like you Yanks to spend some quality time and consider well and elect someone useful!!!!!
I owe you 1x drink
Old 06-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #472
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'm about to head out to the pub. I'll shout you while I'm there....
Old 06-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #473
Refugee

Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Artist View Post
I got a ticket for Hartford a couple of weeks back (there were still loads, including excellent singles) for what I thought would be a show this coming Thursday, but the day after I bought it they reshuffled the schedule so now it's August 2nd. Still works though since it's a Saturday - I'm hopping a 12:30AM bus back after the show, won't be back home until about 3:30AM-ish. First time seeing a show in Hartford (surprisingly, since I have been to just about every other Northeast city for U2 ), anybody know how the XL Center is?
I just got tickets this a.m. for Coldplay's show at The Palace of Auburn Hills (also rescheduled from July to November.) I was surprised by two things: first, I got great seats, exactly where I like to sit (on the side, at about a 45 degree angle to the stage, across from one of the platforms where the band will wander) and second, the fees were extraordinary! I paid $25 per ticket in FEES, so that a $97 ticket was $122.

I paid $82 for Springsteen ($78 plus $4 in booking fees) for basically the same seats. I do not consider Coldplay to be bigger than Bruce, and while I am interested in seeing Coldplay, if I hadn't been buying tickets for a friend, I probably would have skipped it.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #474
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Artist View Post
I got a ticket for Hartford a couple of weeks back (there were still loads, including excellent singles) for what I thought would be a show this coming Thursday, but the day after I bought it they reshuffled the schedule so now it's August 2nd. Still works though since it's a Saturday - I'm hopping a 12:30AM bus back after the show, won't be back home until about 3:30AM-ish. First time seeing a show in Hartford (surprisingly, since I have been to just about every other Northeast city for U2 ), anybody know how the XL Center is?
3:30 a.m.

Still, better than flying - being at an airport late at night sucks.

I just got tickets for November 7th in Orlando.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #475
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:28 AM
Quote:
no no you have it all wrong...I stand by everything I have said up until the post before last...the only thing that was proved was that "Life..." and Streets do not have similar chord progressions...and that's not even what I was trying to say in my original post, but yes, it sure looks like that's what I was saying. In my original post, I was simply commenting on the fact that certain chord progressions like the one heard in "Lovers In Japan/Reign of Love" and certain song structures, etc. aren't really debatable. Those are definitive aspects of music that "are what they are." I didn't mean to connect that statement to the question of whether or not Streets and "Life..." had the same chord progression or not, but the way I constructed that original post made it seem like that was in fact what I was doing. I am knowledgeable enough musically to know that Streets and Life In Technicolor do not have the same chord progression...even someone without much musical training could see that. Pfan, nothing was proved wrong except the idea that Streets doesn't have the same chord progression as "Life...," and that wasn't even what I was trying to prove...I just misspoke...if you think I'm trying to cover my ass I really don't know what to tell you, except to just not get too worked up over it, and don't let it keep you up at night...and...besides...what do you mean, "trying to cover your ass" - why would I even try to do that? You aren't making sense

Coldplay is still nothing more than a U2 ripoff band...a dumbed down, pathetic, sugary version of a rock and roll band...you can deny it all you want, but it's really not a far-fetched idea. So Pfan, "He copies U2 ... wait, that was disproved ..." - NO, you're wrong, that wasn't disproved...GG proved that "Streets" doesn't have the same chord progression as "Life..." - that's it...you get that? Or do you need this spoon fed to you?
Rob, here's a place to go if you'd like to continue on your level of intelligent conversation:

PLEBA - U2 Feedback
Old 06-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #476
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post

so your logic is if you dislike something, don't participate? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense....

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Why? It seems as though my input is equally as valuable as yours.

Furthermore i haven't heard the album yet, but i'm willing to give it a fair chance, which you aren't, thus the thread has more value to me.

Plus my postcount is bigger. So there.

ok....I absolutely don't give a shit about your post count, or post count in general...so NOTHING....

and I've listened to the album 12 times now...I'd hardly say that I didn't give it a chance...and I never even said I didn't like it...I was actually rather positive on this particular album overall...so what the fuck are you even talking about anyway? Once again, if you don't know what's going on, or you've been too lazy to read the thread at all, you might as well just take your sarcastic bullshit somewhere else...
Old 06-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #477
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

No my logic is, if you have only negative things to say, and to say them repeatedly, in different threads, then why bother saying them at all.

You have obviously got an issue wiht Coldplay and Chris Martin in particular and have voiced it in I don't know how many threads. Yeah Ok we get it. And now I don't particularly care. Your problem with Coldplay has no influence on my opinion of Coldplay. If you like other bands, good, then voice your positive opinions of them. If you like U2, good, talk about them. Just shut the fuck up about Coldplay, and I'm wasting good drunk posting time here.....
Old 06-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #478
Blue Crack Addict

Old 06-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #479
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:28 AM
I haven't read the rest of this thread, but should I buy the new album or not?
Just a simple yes/no will do.
thanks.

Amy,
Old 06-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #480
Blue Crack Supplier

While everyone's busy piling on Rob, it should be restated that several Interference members found similarities between LIT and Streets, and it was mentioned in a couple mainstream media reviews. I've only read about 4, so who knows how many others there are.

There's no point in getting technical about the mechanics of it, because all that proves is that Coldplay didn't try to carbon copy anything, which has never been the real argument. If it reminds people of Streets, it reminds people of Streets. You can't disprove that. And the bottom line is that if there are a significant number of people who believe it, then Coldplay is doing something wrong (or right, depending on how you want to look at it).

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida