Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #436
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,542
Local Time: 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyahern View Post
I'm almost afraid to ask, but did anyone get tickets for the tour yet?
Yes!
The two concerts here in the Netherlands sold out in 10 minutes or so, but I was one of the lucky ones with tix. I'm going to see them on 2 October.
__________________

__________________
Popmartijn is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #437
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Saracene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
Posts: 6,325
Local Time: 12:11 PM
I enjoy a bit of Keane and Travis, although they both fall into the category of the bands I can't be bothered to keep up with apart from the one album that I've got. I really like Fran Healy's voice though; on some of their early songs it's got the kind of aggressive edge (well, -relatively- aggressive of course, we're not talking Metallica or anything) that I wish Chris Martin had in him.
__________________

__________________
Saracene is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #438
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGirl View Post
That's incredibly different to saying something like "OMG COLDPLAY RIPPED OFF U2! OMG! THE CHORD PROGRESSIONS ON LIFE IN TECHNICOLOR ARE THE SAME AS STREETS!" ala Rob33.

Jesus, you people are boring! Why do you put so much energy into something you hate?
alright I've been gone the past 2 and a half days and I'm just skimming through some of this thread...it really took off....anyway, I just have to address this, because GibsonGirl keeps making this misunderstanding over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again....and then she does it again.....and again.............................................................and then one more time...



GibsonGirl....I didn't directly compare chord progressions, etc. in "Life In Technicolor" to the chord progressions, etc. in Streets...You are the one that went so far as to tab out the chord progressions for some reason...I was a bit shocked at the time, but you obviously misunderstood me. I simply brought up exactly what some of the reviewers are apparently saying. I said don't think for one second that Coldplay/Chris Martin was not thinking Streets from the beginning to start start off the album...In that same post of mine, I mentioned how some of the chord progressions in Coldplay's songs remind me much of U2's...and are VERRRY close ala "Lover's In Japan/Reign of Love" around the 4 minute mark...that chord progression...that fucking melody, that OUTRO...I garauntee you when they broke the song down and started with an outro, that stupid piece of shit Chris Martin was thinking WOWY...you could even argue they even use that melody in the same way U2 did for WOWY in terms of song structure...it's so blatent!!

Anyway, back to the point- GibsonGirl...Are you even reading my posts when I tell you that you misunderstood my original post about "Life..." and Streets? I keep telling you this yet you keep going back to this chord progression thing you tabbed out and how what I said was wrong. Again, I wasn't comparing chord progressions etc. in "Life..." to Streets....it's like you wanted an excuse to show us all your beautiful chord progression diagrams or something...

__________________
Rob33 is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #439
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
alright I've been gone the past 2 and a half days and I'm just skimming through some of this thread...it really took off....anyway, I just have to address this, because GibsonGirl keeps making this misunderstanding over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again....and then she does it again.....and again.............................................................and then one more time...



GibsonGirl....I didn't directly compare chord progressions, etc. in "Life In Technicolor" to the chord progressions, etc. in Streets...You are the one that went so far as to tab out the chord progressions for some reason...I was a bit shocked at the time, but you obviously misunderstood me. I simply brought up exactly what some of the reviewers are apparently saying. I said don't think for one second that Coldplay/Chris Martin was not thinking Streets from the beginning to start start off the album...In that same post of mine, I mentioned how some of the chord progressions in Coldplay's songs remind me much of U2's...and are VERRRY close ala "Lover's In Japan/Reign of Love" around the 4 minute mark...that chord progression...that fucking melody, that OUTRO...I garauntee you when they broke the song down and started with an outro, that stupid piece of shit Chris Martin was thinking WOWY...you could even argue they even use that melody in the same way U2 did for WOWY in terms of song structure...it's so blatent!!

Anyway, back to the point- GibsonGirl...Are you even reading my posts when I tell you that you misunderstood my original post about "Life..." and Streets? I keep telling you this yet you keep going back to this chord progression thing you tabbed out and how what I said was wrong. Again, I wasn't comparing chord progressions etc. in "Life..." to Streets....it's like you wanted an excuse to show us all your beautiful chord progression diagrams or something...

I think she's just showing the differences in chord progressions between the songs to prove that they lack the similarities you think they have. It's like using statistics to back up any type of argument, but hey, that's just what I think.

Why I keep returning to this black hole of a thread, I'll never know.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #440
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
I think she's just showing the differences in chord progressions between the songs to prove that they lack the similarities you think they have. It's like using statistics to back up any type of argument, but hey, that's just what I think.

Why I keep returning to this black hole of a thread, I'll never know.
but see, that's exactly what I'm saying....I don't think they have the similarities that she was trying to prove through her evidence. If I was arguing over the topic of her evidence, I would understand, but I wasn't. This is no big deal...but she keeps bringing me and that comparison up and it is incorrect....anyway, enough....this thread is tiring...
__________________
Rob33 is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #441
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
hardyharhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Out Californy-way
Posts: 8,403
Local Time: 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Yes!
The two concerts here in the Netherlands sold out in 10 minutes or so, but I was one of the lucky ones with tix. I'm going to see them on 2 October.
Have fun, Popmartijn

Did anyone get tix for the free show at MSG?
__________________
hardyharhar is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #442
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 08:11 AM
^nope but I tried..


going to see them on Aug 3 here in DC.
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #443
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
it's like you wanted an excuse to show us all your beautiful chord progression diagrams or something...
I don't think you should even give him the satisfaction of a reply to this, GG.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #444
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
but see, that's exactly what I'm saying....I don't think they have the similarities that she was trying to prove through her evidence. If I was arguing over the topic of her evidence, I would understand, but I wasn't. This is no big deal...but she keeps bringing me and that comparison up and it is incorrect....anyway, enough....this thread is tiring...
Quote:
I agree music is very subjective...but you can't argue with some things in music. Sure there is such a thing as different interpretations, but how can you say that "Life In Technicolor" isn't a rip of Streets/COBL?!?! Chord progressions, song structure, etc. cannot be argued based on interpretation...it is what it is...
Quote:
Uh...no. Did you even bother to pick up an instrument before writing that? Aside from the fade-in, "Life In Technicolor" and "Where The Streets Have No Name" have virtually nothing in common. They're not even in the same key!

Let's compare intros, shall we? LIT fades in to a synthesiser riff. I have tabbed it out for guitar and included the notes below it:

Code:

e|-12------------------9-----------11-------|
b|-------12---10---------9-----12-----------|
g|----13----------11------------------------|
d|------------------------------------------|
a|------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------|
E G# B A F# C# G# B D#

That repeats a couple of times. Now, some people might argue that this is very similar to Streets, which also features a fade in, some synth, and a repetitive riff. Alas...U2 did not invent this musical idea. It has been around for quite some time. Check out some 70s prog bands, you'll have a blast! Anyway, here is the riff (guitar, not synthesiser) that is repeated in Streets:

Code:

e|-10-----------------------|
b|----10-------------10-----|
g|-------12-11-12p11--------|
d|--------------------------|
a|--------------------------|
E|--------------------------|

D A G F# G F# A

LIT also features a second riff in its intro before it builds up into the full band section of the song. It goes something like this:

Code:

e|-----------0----------2-2-0-----|
b|---0---2----------0---------0---|
g|-2---2---2---2--2---2-----------|
d|--------------------------------|
a|--------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------|

e|-----------0----------4-4-0-----|
b|---0---2----------0-------------|
g|-2---2---2---2--2---2-----------|
d|--------------------------------|
a|--------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------|

Well, gosh, there's nothing like that in Streets!

Moving on to chord progressions...LIT is written in the key of A. An acoustic guitar starts playing during the second riff. The basic progression followed is this:

A D A
A D A
F#m D A
E A

The chords then change (during the vocal bit) to this progression:

F#m D C#m
F#m D C#m
F#m D A
E

The song then ends on A.


Streets, on the other hand, is written in the key of D. Four chords are played during each verse and chorus of the song:

D G Bm A

And that's it. Streets ends by going back into the intro riff - something that doesn't happen in LIT. There is also no change in progression midway through the song, like there is in LIT.

In summation: different song structures + different keys + different chord progressions = different songs. I don't know how you came up with the idea that LIT was a rip-off of Streets. I haven't compared the song to COBL, but I can guarantee you that I would reach the same conclusion if I did. You're basically grasping at straws here.
I'm sorry, you were saying?

If "Life in Technicolor" sounds like anything, it's late '70s-era Bowie, who worked with, you guessed it, Brian Eno. Hardly rocket science.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #445
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I don't think you should even give him the satisfaction of a reply to this, GG.
Oh, but I will. This is what Rob said in the original thread:

Quote:
I agree music is very subjective...but you can't argue with some things in music. Sure there is such a thing as different interpretations, but how can you say that "Life In Technicolor" isn't a rip of Streets/COBL?!?! Chord progressions, song structure, etc. cannot be argued based on interpretation...it is what it is...

U2 Feedback - View Single Post - Im Sorry If This Is In The Wrong Thread But ColdPlay Wants To Be U2


You need to learn to express yourself better, Rob. What else are we to assume you were trying to say? From that post, you are indeed implying that LIT is a rip-off of Streets or COBL, and that this is based on chord progression and song structure. "It is what it is."

True, you did clarify what you "actually" meant at a later point - but only after I had completely disproved your implication that the song was a direct musical rip-off.

EDIT: Heh, the little bastard got there before I did.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 11:35 PM   #446
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:11 AM
You know I got your back, GG.

This is a great album:



Listen to it.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #447
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGirl View Post
Oh, but I will. This is what Rob said in the original thread:





You need to learn to express yourself better, Rob. What else are we to assume you were trying to say? From that post, you are indeed implying that LIT is a rip-off of Streets or COBL, and that this is based on chord progression and song structure. "It is what it is."

True, you did clarify what you "actually" meant at a later point - but only after I had completely disproved your implication that the song was a direct musical rip-off.

EDIT: Heh, the little bastard got there before I did.
But GG, all you are doing is showing off your pretty chord progressions. No one's impressed.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #448
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
This is a great album:



Listen to it.
Rob's always crashing in the same car.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #449
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:11 AM
"(Speed Of) Life in Technicolor" is the best song off of Viva la Vida Loca.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #450
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 07:11 AM
I've not heard Viva La Vida yet, by the way. I find it amazing that I can fully participate in this thread without that and sound knowledgable, but it happened.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com