Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #346
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
You don't know a whole lot of artists and are just now starting to get introduced to better musicians and lyricists. That's all I am saying.
Didn't the Three Musketeers help introduce you to Bowie? And Springsteen, for that matter?

Leave Pfan to his opinion. It may not be as "informed" as yours, but it's still valid.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #347
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I was wrong.

Goodnight, ladies and gentlemen!
__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #348
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 04:56 AM
5 stars!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #349
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 09:56 PM
Since we are talking about The Wall I have to say my favorite line ever is by Bono. "He said he was an artist but he really painted billboards." Walk To The Water.

But I absolutely love Roger Water's line from Goodbye Blue Sky that goes "Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky." I don't know if it is possible not to love that line.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #350
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I mean I feel they are similar. I just said they stole the riff because they sound exactly alike. I am not a musician so yeah I was wrong. Just to throw that out there.
Fair enough. I'd suggest, though, that using loaded phrases like "stole the riff" and "rip-off" are inappropriate when talking about music, unless it is crystal clear that the same notes or chords are being used.

Here is a true rip-off: YouTube - Red Hot Chili Peppers Controversy
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #351
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
But I absolutely love Roger Water's line from Goodbye Blue Sky that goes "Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky." I don't know if it is possible not to love that line.
The delivery there is amazing too!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #352
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGirl View Post
Speaking of which, I will concede that Chris Martin is a better lyricist than Anthony Kiedis.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #353
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Didn't the Three Musketeers help introduce you to Bowie? And Springsteen, for that matter?

Leave Pfan to his opinion. It may not be as "informed" as yours, but it's still valid.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Not Bowie. Phanan introduced me to Born To Run and I listened to another of his albums.

I'm not questioning Pfan's opinion. I'm just saying he has a lot to see and hear in terms of music and lyrics. If he thinks Bono is such an amazing lyricist than he is going to get a little surprise.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #354
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Not Bowie. Phanan introduced me to Born To Run and I listened to another of his albums.

I'm not questioning Pfan's opinion. I'm just saying he has a lot to see and hear in terms of music and lyrics. If he thinks Bono is such an amazing lyricist than he is going to get a little surprise.
How about this. Am I lacking in musical knowledge/experience because I generally find Bono's lyrics more appealing than Tori Amos'? Because I do. She's fine if you examine the lyrics 60 times to find out what the hell she's talking about, but Bono's best work is just so much more moving to me.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #355
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Speaking of which, I will concede that Chris Martin is a better lyricist than Anthony Kiedis.
Come on!

I got stopped by a lady cop in mah automobiiiiiiile
She said get out and spread your legs
And then she tried to cop a feel!

That's pure poetry, that is!
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #356
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Speaking of which, I will concede that Chris Martin is a better lyricist than Anthony Kiedis.


RHCP is all about the bass and guitar!

Btw guys, listening to Rush of Blood right now and there aren't many songs released this decade that are prettier than God Put A Smile..., The Scientist and Warning Sign.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #357
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
5 stars!
5 something!
__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #358
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGirl View Post
Fair enough. I'd suggest, though, that using loaded phrases like "stole the riff" and "rip-off" are inappropriate when talking about music, unless it is crystal clear that the same notes or chords are being used.

Here is a true rip-off: YouTube - Red Hot Chili Peppers Controversy
You are right of course. I need to choose my words more wisely.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #359
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGirl View Post
Come on!

I got stopped by a lady cop in mah automobiiiiiiile
She said get out and spread your legs
And then she tried to cop a feel!

That's pure poetry, that is!
You know I'm a sucker for a good pun
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #360
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGirl View Post
Come on!

I got stopped by a lady cop in mah automobiiiiiiile
She said get out and spread your legs
And then she tried to cop a feel!

That's pure poetry, that is!
__________________

__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com