Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #286
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Heavy as a drug FTW!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #287
Blue Crack Supplier

Let's all give Coldplay a break! They're getting better and better with every album!

I tried. lol.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #288
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGirl View Post
I stand by what I said. Musically speaking, the songs simply don't match up. There are vague similarities - a synth fade in plus uplifting chord phrasings - but not enough to pass it off as a rip off.
So WHAT about "musically speaking"?! Most people aren't musicians. If it conjures up the feeling where the listener thinks "damn, this reminds me of Streets", then it doesn't matter! Rip-off, appropriation, homage, whatever you want to call it, it's sloppy and unoriginal, ESPECIALLY when you've already been accused of aping the band in question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I do agree with whoever made the statement about "heavy as a truck," though. Awkward. I initially thought he was saying "heavy as a church," and I totally got that, sometimes churches can seem oppressive, and it fit well within the context of the song. I like mine better, dammit.
Can we not talk about Electrical Storm, please? It makes my head hurt.

They should have given that one to Coldplay as a gift.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #289
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Heavy as a drug FTW!
lol, anything but truck!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #290
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
So WHAT about "musically speaking"?! Most people aren't musicians. If it conjures up the feeling where the listener thinks "damn, this reminds me of Streets", then it doesn't matter! Rip-off, appropriation, homage, whatever you want to call it, it's sloppy and unoriginal, ESPECIALLY when you've already been accused of aping the band in question!
Holy shit, Lazarus, are you always this angry?

"Rip-off" is a strong phrase if you're a musician. Unless large portions of the music/vocal delivery are plagiarised, you CANNOT use that term. Was Life In Technicolor inspired by Streets? Probably. Is it a rip-off of Streets? Not at all.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #291
ONE
love, blood, life

Ok, I take the point about posting lyrics that were further along in Bono's career than Martin is in his. Setting 2000 as Coldplay's startpoint, Martin is in his ninth year.

Setting 1980 as Bono's startpoint, 1988 was his ninth year. In 1988, All I Want Is You was released. Martin has yet to release anything even close to as lyrically substantial as that.

"you say you'll give me/eyes in a moon of blindness/a river in a time of dryness/a harbour in the tempest/but all the promises we make/from the cradle to the grave/when all I want is you"

Just thought I'd say that.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #292
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
This struck me as funny because a U2 example comes to mind. HMTMKMKM sounds an awful lot like David Bowie's Panic In Detriot. Bono and the band idolized and wanted to sound like Bowie. I'm just saying.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #293
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Oh no you're not locking this thread yet! It's still too much fun!

I didn't say I was locking it. I'd actually rather have it all in one thread vs. various threads scattered throughout EYKIW.

And as long as everyone is debating in a respectable manner, enjoy your fun.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #294
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Ok, I take the point about posting lyrics that were further along in Bono's career than Martin is in his. Setting 2000 as Coldplay's startpoint, Martin is in his ninth year.

Setting 1980 as Bono's startpoint, 1988 was his ninth year. In 1988, All I Want Is You was released. Martin has yet to release anything even close to as lyrically substantial as that.

"you say you'll give me/eyes in a moon of blindness/a river in a time of dryness/a harbour in the tempest/but all the promises we make/from the cradle to the grave/when all I want is you"

Just thought I'd say that.
Agreed! Boy thru R&H is good enough to be a band's entire discography IMO!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #295
Blue Crack Supplier

And let's face it, guys... Coldplay's strength is in melodies, not lyrics!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #296
The Male

Honestly, the Chris Martin/Bono comparisons are absolutely ridiculous, and this conversation really should be put to rest.

You say that Chrissy has only been writing for 8 years (11, actually, since Coldplay was formed in 1997), and that he should be given time to develop. Fair enough. If we're comparing the two, however, it's also fair to only use Bono's first 8 years of work, 1980-1987 as the only example. Unfortunately for Chrissy, in those 8 years, Bono wrote:
  • I Will Follow
  • Rejoice
  • Tomorrow
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday
  • New Year's Day
  • A Sort Of Homecoming
  • Pride (In The Name Of Love)
  • Bad
  • Where The Streets Have No Name
  • I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  • With Or Without You
  • Running To Stand Still
  • One Tree Hill

What the fuck has Chris Martin done that even comes close to matching that in his first 8 years? Furthermore, what has Chris Martin done that even matches a modern classic like Beautiful Day, a song supposedly written after Bono's peak as a lyricist? Come on. He's not that good. Don't compare the two.

Now.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #297
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Holy shit, Lazarus, are you always this angry?

"Rip-off" is a strong phrase if you're a musician. Unless large portions of the music/vocal delivery are plagiarised, you CANNOT use that term. Was Life In Technicolor inspired by Streets? Probably. Is it a rip-off of Streets? Not at all.
This isn't a legal proceeding. They aren't being sued. It's just lame to be considered a U2-lite, then you hire their frequent collaborator and open your album with a track that brings STRONG recollections of another famous Track 1.

Call it what you want. C-Play aren't very original, so to me they've made a career of ripping them off, in one way or another.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #298
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
This struck me as funny because a U2 example comes to mind. HMTMKMKM sounds an awful lot like David Bowie's Panic In Detriot. Bono and the band idolized and wanted to sound like Bowie. I'm just saying.
I don't hear that. I mean, there's a slight resemblance in the riff in PID's chorus, and I suppose they're somewhat stylistically similar, but I don't see where they sound 'an awful lot' alike.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #299
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Quote:
Jesus, you people are boring! Why do you put so much energy into something you hate?
Quote:
Jesus, you people are boring! Why do you put so much energy into something you hate?
Quote:

lazarus, why do you insist on posting so many reviews for ammunition? Unlike you, GG never relies on the words of others to validate her opinions.

I feel like I'm exceeding my carbon footprint by adding anything else, but here goes! This album is like a sandwich from a store I was never really fond of before. Only this time, they’ve added a few new things to finally make a sandwich that's worth eating. There are ingredients that are found in other things I like: A bit of Arcade Fire meat, Bunnymen mustard, early U2 atmospheric sesame seeds. The overall impression is that it's tasty, and that it's at least a sincere, heartfelt effort to create something good. I appreciate that. The sandwich maker will probably never have his/her own cooking show, or crack the Sandwich Hall of Fame. We both know this, but it's okay.

Liking said sandwich, and the way it goes down, is a personal choice.

If you stand in front of the sandwich display, and mumble about why you don’t like the one I just bought, I’ll probably think that you need some help.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #300
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Okay Bono is a better lyricist than Chris Martin. Chris Martin isn't the best lyricist when you compare him to Bono. But keep in mind that when comparing Bono to other lyricists he is sort of the Chris Martin of the group.

He isn't in the same ballpark as Kate Bush, Roger Waters, Sting, Tori Amos, Peter Gabriel and the list goes on and on.

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida