Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #211
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Wait a sec....are YOU Chris Martin?

/thread. I can't take the rest of this seriously anymore.
Chris Martin isn't that eloquent. And he clearly doesn't try to be.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #212
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Wait a sec....are YOU Chris Martin?

/thread. I can't take the rest of this seriously anymore.
You know you love the romanticism.
__________________

__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #213
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,000
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Screwtape, exactly how many colored band-aids do you have on your fingers?

FOR REELZ.



__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #214
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,061
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Fine, don't answer the question. Or do you like U2 despite Bono's writing over the years? I don't get what you're trying to prove.
I was being sarcastic because of how you use Bono against Chris Martin.

I admire what Bono went through as much as the next person, and those life experiences have had a deep impact on his music. Music that I love.

So Chris Martin didn't go through the same thing. That makes him and his music less significant? Bullshit. Music comes at us in different ways through different stories. Just because not everyone goes through what Bono did, or because they get married to a wife who just happens to be a famous actress, doesn't make them any less of a person, or their music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
And I didn't make disparaging comments about New England, just New York City. Perhaps you missed the part where I said I lived in Boston for 5 years?
Oh no, I didn't miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I lived in Boston for 5 years, and I know they have an inferiority complex as well.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #215
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,665
Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
The proof is in the pudding! If he's got demons, it's certainly not present in the tone of the music or the lyrics.

So he's a whitebread musician who only SEEMS bland on the surface, whereas in reality he's tormented, but doesn't put it into his work.

Interesting theory.
I never said that he actually has demons. I mean that he COULD have, even though he's married to a movie star, privileged etc...
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #216
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,061
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Screwtape, exactly how many colored band-aids do you have on your fingers?

FOR REELZ.



Oh please, should we break out pictures of U2 in their ZOOTV outfits?
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #217
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
The proof is in the pudding! If he's got demons, it's certainly not present in the tone of the music or the lyrics.

So he's a whitebread musician who only SEEMS bland on the surface, whereas in reality he's tormented, but doesn't put it into his work.

Interesting theory.
So songs like Politik with its tragic tone aren't a sign that there is a man with demons like the rest of us down there?
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #218
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,061
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
So songs like Politik with its tragic tone aren't a sign that there is a man with demons like the rest of us down there?
Who gives a shit if a man has demons? Is that required to write good music?

I am having way too much fun in this thread.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #219
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
So songs like Politik with its tragic tone aren't a sign that there is a man with demons like the rest of us down there?
I think that song's great due more to the music than the lyrics/delivery, as is the case with most of their material, but that's just me. One of their better songs though.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #220
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Thank you.

Yeah, but if you try and ignore that and take it as it is, it's a fairly good album. I still enjoy it.
Yeah, maybe it'll take a few more listens to get past that, but for now, all I can do is play the "who the hell does that sound like?" game. One of your later posts mentions taking bits and pieces from various sources, and I agree, that for parts of a song, it'll sound like one influence, and then in the next part, the switch to another, and so on. I agree with all the influences you listed, and in addition, the other day I also heard a snippet that reminded me of Genesis. It's distracting me from enjoying the songs on their own merits.

I also agree that overall, I like (note: not love) Coldplay, they're decent. They just need to find their own groove, which, IMO, they were closest to with ROBTTH.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #221
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Screwtape, exactly how many colored band-aids do you have on your fingers?

FOR REELZ.



You don't call retarded people retards. It's in bad taste. You call your friends retarded when they act retarded. I consider Laz a friend.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #222
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 12:21 PM
When the frontman of a band publicly states that they tried to make this album their 'Unforgettable Fire', you can't blame anyone here for saying Coldplay lacks originality.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Who gives a shit if a man has demons? Is that required to write good music?

I am having way too much fun in this thread.
We actually are in agreement. I'm just saying there is some sign that Chris Everett is human beneath the exterior.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #224
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Yeah, maybe it'll take a few more listens to get past that, but for now, all I can do is play the "who the hell does that sound like?" game. One of your later posts mentions taking bits and pieces from various sources, and I agree, that for parts of a song, it'll sound like one influence, and then in the next part, the switch to another, and so on. I agree with all the influences you listed, and in addition, the other day I also heard a snippet that reminded me of Genesis. It's distracting me from enjoying the songs on their own merits.

I also agree that overall, I like (note: not love) Coldplay, they're decent. They just need to find their own groove, which, IMO, they were closest to with ROBTTH.
Yeah, when they can do that, they can be something truly special, in my opinion of course.

Rush of Blood has turned out to be my favorite album of theirs, after loving Parachutes for a longer time, but how many melancholic albums full of 5-minute semi-rock anthems can you do? A great album, but lightning in a bottle at this point, it seems.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #225
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,061
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
When the frontman of a band publicly states that they tried to make this album their 'Unforgettable Fire', you can't blame anyone here for saying Coldplay lacks originality.
Oh, I'll be the first to admit that he makes some stupid comments. Doesn't mean the music sucks more because of it. The first two Oasis albums are classics, but we could certainly dig up all of their comments when they mouthed off about The Beatles. Doesn't make me like the music any less.
__________________

__________________
phanan is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com