Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about this. Am I lacking in musical knowledge/experience because I generally find Bono's lyrics more appealing than Tori Amos'? Because I do. She's fine if you examine the lyrics 60 times to find out what the hell she's talking about, but Bono's best work is just so much more moving to me.

Bono might be more moving at times but on paper Tori is much better. Everyone needs more musical knowledge and experience. With liking Bono more than Tori is subjective. I think you do have to realize their are much better lyricists out there than Bono even if we disagree on who specifically is.

Bono might be more moving at times but on paper Tori is much better. Everyone needs more musical knowledge and experience. With liking Bono more than Tori is subjective. I think you do have to realize their are much better lyricists out there than Bono even if we disagree on who specifically is.

I'm more into the cynically humorous types. Ray Davies, Donald Fagen, Randy Newman at his 70's peak, etc. But Bono is awesome.

I'm more into the cynically humorous types. Ray Davies, Donald Fagen, Randy Newman at his 70's peak, etc. But Bono is awesome.

I'm more into the lyricists that sort of become someone else or go to a place like Tori Amos, Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush. I like Bono too by the way. Walk To The Water is my favorite song lyric.

It's all subjective, Screwtape, including your opinions on LM's tastes.

Viva la subjectivity.

Um...I didn't say anything about LemonMelon's taste. In fact we like a lot of the same things musically.

:yes: We disagree often, but have our moments.

Like, for instance, I agree on the lyrical brilliance of The Wall. It's the main thing I like about it.

Reading your eopinions blogs I realize I have to go listen to some Moody Blues albums ASAP. :drool:

I'm totally writing up To Our Children's Children's Children next. :drool: I'm rather new to the band, but I would rate the ones I've heard like so:

Days Of Future Passed: A+
To Our Children's Children's Children: A
In Search Of The Lost Chord: B+
On The Threshold Of A Dream: B

"Floating" is on my next DI list.

You can have what many consider to be the greatest lyrics ever like Bob Dylan but if the music is not what you are into it wont sound good. Coldplay certainly doesnt have the lyrics down yet but they are getting good results with the music and to me that is the most important part. On the majority of The Beatles catalogue they had very poor lyrics infact but the music was good so people loved them. There are a few notable standouts of course.

U2 once said that Joshua Tree was their best work lyrically, but Achtung Baby was their best work musically, and I would agree with that, I also think U2 themselves thinks Achtung Baby is their best record, of which I would also agree.

I'm totally writing up To Our Children's Children's Children next. :drool: I'm rather new to the band, but I would rate the ones I've heard like so:

Days Of Future Passed: A+
To Our Children's Children's Children: A
In Search Of The Lost Chord: B+
On The Threshold Of A Dream: B

"Floating" is on my next DI list.

My favorite Moody Blues record is Long Distance Voyager. I'll admit it isn't as good as their other albums but I just love it.

You can have what many consider to be the greatest lyrics ever like Bob Dylan but if the music is not what you are into it wont sound good. Coldplay certainly doesnt have the lyrics down yet but they are getting good results with the music and to me that is the most important part. On the majority of The Beatles catalogue they had very poor lyrics infact but the music was good so people loved them. There are a few notable standouts of course.

U2 once said that Joshua Tree was their best work lyrically, but Achtung Baby was their best work musically, and I would agree with that, I also think U2 themselves thinks Achtung Baby is their best record, of which I would also agree.

Music definitely trumps lyrics for me, any day!

Yeah it is more of a preference thing. Both have one weak lyrical track. JT has Trip Through Your Wires and AB has TTTYAATW.

For one reason or another, I really wanted to dislike this new album, but I'm unable to find a great deal of fault in it. There's really only a couple songs I could live without (not that I even find them distasteful)--one of which is Viva La Vida. The songs that stand out for me include Lost, Lovers in Japan, Yes and Strawberry Swing. Lyrically, yeah, the album is very simplistic, but I don't necessarily think that's always a negative thing or a sign of unintelligent or lazy songwriting... it seems to work well here.

I have found the image that defines this thread, folks.

ChasingItsTail.jpeg

I've been reading this at work trying to figure out how it got from 2 to 26 pages overnight and yep, I have to agree with that image. So much negativity, people, you know it gives you ulcers!

Actually, I'm pretty impressed that an impassioned discussion/argument that went to 26 pages in a matter of hours managed to not devolve into a stoopid internet slapfight, even if it did veer dangerously close at times.

Well done! :up:

Last edited:
Actually, I'm pretty impressed that an impassioned discussion/argument that went to 26 pages in a matter of hours managed to not divulge into a stoopid internet slapfight, even if it did veer dangerously close at times.

You likely meant devolve, not divulge.

To me, a person that feels no passion about this topic, this thread is awfully lame and wildly circular. Feels like FYM.

I guess shame on me for reading it, then, if I dislike it. Sorry!

Actually, I'm pretty impressed that an impassioned discussion/argument that went to 26 pages in a matter of hours managed to not divulge into a stoopid internet slapfight, even if it did veer dangerously close at times.

Yeah exactly! I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

I hate to bring class into this again, but it's the privileged sensibility that bothers me the most. Married to a movie star, no noticeable personal struggle, no demons. Who gives a fuck what he has to say? How do they MATTER?

That has nothing to do with Coldplay the band.

Who gives a fuck what anyone has to say?

So are the only people worth listening to are people with a personal struggle, and who are married to people who are not movie stars?

To me, a person that feels no passion about this topic, this thread is awfully lame and wildly circular. Feels like FYM.

That has nothing to do with Coldplay the band.

Who gives a fuck what anyone has to say?

So are the only people worth listening to are people with a personal struggle, and who are married to people who are not movie stars?

I'm ready for that slap fight now.

I did - thanks for pointing that out.

Nice going, NSW. I was hoping Cori was going to devolve all her secrets. :wink:

I'll give you a secret:

I LIKE BOTH COLDPLAY AND KEANE.

There. Go ahead and mock me. I can take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom