Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #151
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,790
Local Time: 01:01 PM
Nicely done.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #152
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,992
Local Time: 01:01 PM
4:20 FTW, BTW.
__________________

__________________
lazarus is online now  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #153
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
To me, Coldplay sounds like a watered down mix of U2, Radiohead, R.E.M., George Harrison/latter Beatles, and now Brian Eno and Bowie/Eno stuff. The problem is, they can't make the pieces fit together well enough. Let's step into a film comparison here: P.T. Anderson's style is derivative of Martin Scorsese and Robert Altman, specifically, but you can still tell he injects enough of his own essence into his work, otherwise he's just a pure copycat. Like I said above, I'm glad you feel this way, Screwy, but don't expect everyone to agree with you. Enjoy them on your own terms.

I think ATYCLB is a response to their '90s period, and yes, it is more hits-oriented, but it marks a specific time in their lives. They're not the same guys they were in the '80s or '90s, trying to find their places in the world. They are where they are now. The band itself is a family. That album is about finally finding your place in the world and having to deal with that. Plus, it's ties to 9/11 give it an extra layer of pathos on top of the previous areas of awesome. Is it a perfect album? No. But to say it's just the band on autopilot is ill-informed. You can subjectively dislike it, but there are enough qualities on that album that make it stand apart from the rest of their discography, in a good way.

Every band wants to make a connection with people, that's why they fucking make music. And U2 in particular wanted to let everyone know that they're back and ready to take the world by storm again.
I don't expect anyone to agree with me because let's face it rarely anyone does. The thing I am saying is that it is so illogical to make these comparisons because they are nothing alike. I can't believe people don't see that.

Oh God not the 9/11 argument. They have nothing to do with each other. It is sick and stupid that people think the album was somehow made better by it. The album was meant to compete with Britney Spears and the like. That's not caring about art.

The old U2 is dead. They are not back who ever is here in their place just wants awards and your money.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
That's cool. Of course it's up to interpretation, since none of us know for sure, so that makes perfect sense, too.

I think LM's right about that "eternal song" idea. They want to be like the Abbey Road/Let It Be-era Beatles and have that one song that will transcend everything to the same degree as "Hey Jude" or "Let It Be."
Just to be clear, I never said anything regarding the "eternal song" - that was Screwtape. I actually agree that U2 is looking for a way to cement their legacy as they enter the latter phases of their existence. Here's hoping they find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
But if you were in a band, would you rather focus on making the songs, or marketing it yourselves when you know there's a solid team that's been working with you for years and a label that would promote the hell out of it anyway?
If I'm U2, with my spot in history firmly in place, I'm focusing more on making the songs, and finding that "eternal song", as LM put it. The marketing is secondary, although nobody is saying you don't do it at all. Just don't make it the primary focus when you are creating the song in the first place, a la Vertigo.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #155
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
You're judging motive without having any real facts.
So are you. It's called having our opinions.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #156
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I don't expect anyone to agree with me because let's face it rarely anyone does. The thing I am saying is that it is so illogical to make these comparisons because they are nothing alike. I can't believe people don't see that.

Oh God not the 9/11 argument. They have nothing to do with each other. It is sick and stupid that people think the album was somehow made better by it. The album was meant to compete with Britney Spears and the like. That's not caring about art.

The old U2 is dead. They are not back who ever is here in their place just wants awards and your money.
Great job deflecting my entire argument. Why I bothered, I don't even know, at least I had the courtesy to read yours and present some form of logical discussion, but like a child, you scurry away behind an obnoxious rhetoric that "no one can understand." Fuck it.

The 9/11 argument is incredibly fucking palpable. U2 was one of the first bands to go back on tour when the whole country was still reeling. Music is fucking powerful, I'm sure you know this, and this band did something amazing with it that can't be underestimated.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,992
Local Time: 01:01 PM
I hate to bring class into this again, but it's the privileged sensibility that bothers me the most. Married to a movie star, no noticeable personal struggle, no demons. Who gives a fuck what he has to say? How do they MATTER?
__________________
lazarus is online now  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #158
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Just to be clear, I never said anything regarding the "eternal song" - that was Screwtape. I actually agree that U2 is looking for a way to cement their legacy as they enter the latter phases of their existence. Here's hoping they find it.
Yeah, just read that. Sorry for confusing you with Screwtape, that must be scary.

Quote:
If I'm U2, with my spot in history firmly in place, I'm focusing more on making the songs, and finding that "eternal song", as LM put it. The marketing is secondary, although nobody is saying you don't do it at all. Just don't make it the primary focus when you are creating the song in the first place, a la Vertigo.
Okay, I see what you're saying here.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,691
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I hate to bring class into this again, but it's the privileged sensibility that bothers me the most. Married to a movie star, no noticeable personal struggle, no demons. Who gives a fuck what he has to say? How do they MATTER?
Don't talk about Bono like that!! I oughta- oh wait...

I love how U2 threads turn into Coldplay arguments and Coldplay threads turn into U2 arguments...

At least we're consitent.
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #160
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I hate to bring class into this again, but it's the privileged sensibility that bothers me the most. Married to a movie star, no noticeable personal struggle, no demons. Who gives a fuck what he has to say? How do they MATTER?
How does Bono matter? What has he gone through?
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #161
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 03:01 PM
Amazing.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #162
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Great job deflecting my entire argument. Why I bothered, I don't even know.

The 9/11 argument is incredibly fucking palpable. U2 was one of the first bands to go back on tour when the whole country was still reeling. Music is fucking powerful, I'm sure you know this, and this band did something amazing with it that can't be underestimated.
I didn't deflect your argument. I addressed everything you said.

The album itself has nothing to do with 9/11. The band itself did though. What you are saying is something was added to the depth of ATYCLB because of 9/11 but honestly I think U2's older songs had a bigger effect.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #163
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,992
Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
How does Bono matter? What has he gone through?
Are you kidding me? Growing up in Ireland, first of all. Having parents from denominations that are in conflict. Having his mother die when he was young. Having a volatile relationship with his father. Having all these things force him to question his faith and belief system.

None of these things alone are particularly unique, but when combined with his own spirit he's a bit of a powder keg. Or did you not notice that in 1997 he was STILL working out these issues, and probably is to this day?
__________________
lazarus is online now  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #164
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I didn't deflect your argument. I addressed everything you said.

The album itself has nothing to do with 9/11. The band itself did though. What you are saying is something was added to the depth of ATYCLB because of 9/11 but honestly I think U2's older songs had a bigger effect.
2-3 sentences to address 2-3 paragraphs. Yeah, that did it.

Yes, it was after the fact, but U2 and their album, including the songs within it, ironically, are tied to that event. Their other songs did have an effect, but you're telling me something like "Walk On," "Stuck in a Moment" (I like the acoustic version more), and "Beautiful Day" didn't have an effect on people?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #165
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,790
Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
So are you. It's called having our opinions.
Not really. I never went out of my way to claim that Vertigo was written solely to improve sales, especially since there are quotes from the band to support otherwise.

Furthermore, X&Y as a whole wasn't put together simply to earn the band cash, and I never claimed it was. I don't believe that Coldplay is jaded enough for that. I think those are accusations that shouldn't be brought out unless the band in question admits that sales are their #1 priority, because it isn't really relevant otherwise.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com