Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobsaget77

Rock n' Roll Doggie
The other thread went over 1k.
So is everyone in agreement this album is terrible? (except prbiker :wink)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I liked the first two songs, and Adventure wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was the first time around.

Other than that ...... uhhhhhh. What happened, gentlemen?

Cynical, Clichéd, horrible, boring, terrible production, poor songwriting. For such a good band a really awful album. Not much else to say really.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I liked the first two songs, strongly disliked hymn for the weekend and kaleidoscope, liked Noel Gallagher's solo in up & up and think the rest is just meh

I liked the first two songs, strongly disliked hymn for the weekend and kaleidoscope, liked Noel Gallagher's solo in up & up and think the rest is just meh
One thing that gets me is how dull it is, I just can't get over they released this and thought it was good. A few decent songs, yes but in the main so poor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

How I would rank the songs at the moment, not counting Kaleidoscope or Colour Spectrum:

01 - A Head Full of Dreams
02 - Birds
03 - Adventure of a Lifetime
04 - Up & Up
05 - Fun
06 - Army of One
07 - Amazing Day
08 - Everglow
09 - Hymn for the Weekend
10 - X Marks the Spot

The first two are the strongest of the bunch, but not by a lot. There really isn't a song on this album that stands out, or that could be a part of Coldplay's finest work.

Last edited:
Alright, critics are going in. 57 metascore right now, the lowest of their career.

I sincerely hope this isn't their last album. Don't go out like this.

To judge them fairly, I should've continuing followed them since Ghost Stories, but I stopped caring anymore at that pt.

dracula.gif

It's really bad. The mix seems so off, I can't really even hear CM which judging by the lyrics, don't want to.

Noticed the same with Mylo. There's just so much shit going on in each song, but it's just shit. Do they have any other instruments?

It's like opposite of U2 in 2000. Where all you hear is BONO and everything else is in background

Just listened to it. It's not like it's the worst thing I've ever heard but it just makes me long for the good ole days of Parachutes

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I must admit that I'm what you can call a Coldplay hater (mostly Chris Martin's fault, just can't stand him, his stage persona, his feeble voice, his weak lyric skills), but I also must admit that I quite like their first two albums, most Viva La Vida and a couple songs out of these albums.
Hereupon, I've listened to the new album a few times and it truly leaves me sad that they got to this point. I'm not describing the album because some have done it well already (overproduced, sparse, lyrically weak, with too much going on, not cohesive, desperately mainstream, a Chris Martin album with his band...). I'm not exaggerating if I say that it quite shocked me how bad the album is most of the moments.

I honestly wish they followed the path explored in "Midnight" (this one and "O" are, to me, the only real good songs of the last album) - that really had excited me and had brought me some hope. Unfortunately they decided to follow an opposite direction.

Another funny thing is that Coldply has been leaving as b-sides or non-album tracks songs that I like and that, in my hater opinion, some of their best tracks. "Miracles" actually is the only good song if you count it as part of the tracklist. I also liked "Moving To Mars". And "Atlas" is one of their best songs, to me.

I think I've been rating my self Coldplay's albums when a new one is out and I guess my ratings for each one hasn't changed much. Today it'd be something like:
Parachutes - 6,7/10
A Rush Of Blood To The Head - 7,5/10
X&Y - 6,2/10
Viva La Vida - 7,5/10
Mylo Xyloto (which I call "Miley Cyrus") - 5,6/10
Ghost Stories - 5,3/10
A Head Full Of Dreams - 4,0/10

Last edited:
I feel Noel made a big mistake being associated with this nonsense. He should have walked in the studio, taken one listen and walked out

I still like AOAL but nothing else on it.

I liked the first 2 and a bit albums and haven't listened to much since

Parachutes - 7/10
ROBTTH - 8/10
X&Y - 6/10
Viva - 6/10
Mylo - 0/10 - never listened to it but a 0 off the singles alone
Ghost - same as above
AHFOD - 3/10 - The single duped me into listening...i shouldn't have bothered

I've had two inattentive listens, and it seems pretty messy. Birds, Everglow and Amazing Day in particular are a waste of time. Who can be stuffed with listening to those dreary creations?

Standouts so far, but I will need to digest this album some more, appear to be Adventure of a Lifetime, Hymn for a Weekend and X Marks the Spot. I didn't mind Fun too much either, but I need to give this a proper, thorough listen without various distractions and other sounds around me.

It feels like Mylo Xyloto Part II, and although I quite enjoyed that album, it's the one album that should never have a Part II.

Ghost Stories was an impressive and admirable endeavour, that sits comfortably in the catalogue. At this stage Head Full Of Dreams feels like a thorough letdown.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

I've had two inattentive listens, and it seems pretty messy. Birds, Everglow and Amazing Day in particular are a waste of time. Who can be stuffed with listening to those dreary creations?

Standouts so far, but I will need to digest this album some more, appear to be Adventure of a Lifetime, Hymn for a Weekend and X Marks the Spot. I didn't mind Fun too much either, but I need to give this a proper, thorough listen without various distractions and other sounds around me.

It feels like Mylo Xyloto Part II, and although I quite enjoyed that album, it's the one album that should never have a Part II.

Ghost Stories was an impressive and admirable endeavour, that sits comfortably in the catalogue. At this stage Head Full Of Dreams feels like a thorough letdown.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin
Hymn For The Weekend and X Marks The Spot are standouts?!?!?!?!?!

Finally listened to it. I like Birds, Adventure of a Lifetime and Up & Up a lot. I stand by liking A Head Full of Dreams and Everglow live, but the studio versions are not nearly as good. I hate the production on most of the album, again it's just too much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

Typical Coldplay though. Army of One may be my favorite song from their last 3 albums and then when it ends this awful attempt at hip hop starts.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm actually liking Hymn For The Weekend. It's a fun song. You should all get used to it because it's probably going to be a huge hit.

The album is not bad at all; certainly nothing spectacular, but not nearly the train wreck some are claiming it to be IMO. It is definitely cheesy in places, but people seem to forget when expressing exasperation about the direction Coldplay is following that this is the same band that rose to fame on the back of such maudlin, cliched songs as Yellow, The Scientist, and Fix You. Given that track record, is it really all that surprising that Martin's ex-wife appears on one of the songs?

The album is not bad at all; certainly nothing spectacular, but not nearly the train wreck some are claiming it to be IMO.
This is the lowest point in their career and an absolute train wreck imo. I cringed my way through it.

this is the same band that rose to fame on the back of such maudlin, cliched songs as Yellow, The Scientist, and Fix You.

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

Last edited:
The album is not bad at all; certainly nothing spectacular, but not nearly the train wreck some are claiming it to be IMO. It is definitely cheesy in places
Agreed.

such maudlin, cliched songs as Yellow, The Scientist, and Fix You.
Those three songs are infinitely better than anything on this album, though.

Last edited:
Why does nobody like Everglow? I think it's wonderful.
A nice piano riff that descends into complete boredom,nothing new or interesting and have heard it 100x before. Oh and the album is a cringefest, way beneath the the material that got them to the top. Amazing Day for example is stunning in its cheesyness and unoriginality I actually can't believe it got past any sort of quality control,its like a song at the end of a bad Christmas movie.
After listening to AHFOD for a few days solidly I've no desire ever to hear it again.

Because it's boring and unoriginal. Nice piano riff, though. Nothing really horrible about it, but just Coldplay paint by the numbers.

It's Coldplay's classic style. I'm happy that they made another song that's like their old stuff. Because this new stuff is garbage, Everglow is a redeeming listen. It's not boring to me.

Its lyrics are questionable, but CM's delivery and the overall sound do serve well to convey the emotion being sought.

Call me crazy, I actually like the album. :huh: It's a bit messy, production wise, and I think he music can be a bit too busy. I think it kind of drops in quality in the 2nd half, but I'm still getting used to it.

Hymn for the Weekend is actually one of my favorites, which surprised me because I'm not a fan of Pop, R&B or hip-hop AT ALL. If a new band made this album I probably wouldn't give it a second listen. But since I've been a Coldplay fan since the first time I heard Yellow, 2000/2001-ish, I kind of just accept it as the next chapter in the Coldplay story and enjoy it in that context. I'm like that with most new albums by the bands I like.

It'd be the same as if U2 made an album like this, I'd enjoy. If Nikki Minaj made it, I'd never listen to it.

I'm mostly looking forward to their eventual North American tour. I've seen Coldplay 3 times, but not since 2006!

It's Coldplay's classic style. I'm happy that they made another song that's like their old stuff. Because this new stuff is garbage, Everglow is a redeeming listen. It's not boring to me.

Its lyrics are questionable, but CM's delivery and the overall sound do serve well to convey the emotion being sought.

It's the third best song on the album IMO. But that's because there's only 3 songs on the album that are even listenable to me. It just doesn't go anywhere like many of their other piano based songs like Clocks, Amsterdam, Viva La Vida, etc.

Back
Top Bottom