Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a mess from Coldplay it was like they were even there with it being the Beyonce and Bruno Mars show. I feel sorry for Coldplay, they've taken such a backwards step and lost any artistic talent they had.

I personally judge most things in life by their degrees of similarity to U2's Super Bowl performance.

This bowl of Cinnamon Life I'm currently consuming is definitely closer to Beyonce and farther from U2.

but Beyonce part was kinda shitty though. and she didnt even sing Hymn for Weeknd.

I disagree. Beyonce was fantastic and I love how political "Formation" is. Faux News is all in a tizzy.

Coldplay was done no favors by the NFL and the sound guys. I've seen them live a bunch, and I just didn't feel their normal infectious energy translated in this performance. It was just off.

I disagree. Beyonce was fantastic and I love how political "Formation" is. Faux News is all in a tizzy.

Coldplay was done no favors by the NFL and the sound guys. I've seen them live a bunch, and I just didn't feel their normal infectious energy translated in this performance. It was just off.

I didn't like the song she was singing and I also wonder who was performing the music to her song as she certainly was not playing an instrument nor were the dozen or so half naked people she was with playing an instrument that I could see. Also, were her vocals actually live? I heard they were not live when she sang the national anthem once. Too often, these artist play no music and do not even bother to sing live and focus exclusively on costumes and dancing.

Good for Lady Gaga Gaga, its a shame she does not sing, perform, and dress like that on her previous work.

I didn't like the song she was singing and I also wonder who was performing the music to her song as she certainly was not playing an instrument nor were the dozen or so half naked people she was with playing an instrument that I could see. Also, were her vocals actually live? I heard they were not live when she sang the national anthem once. Too often, these artist play no music and do not even bother to sing live and focus exclusively on costumes and dancing.

Good for Lady Gaga Gaga, its a shame she does not sing, perform, and dress like that on her previous work.

You don't seem to like pop music much, which is fine. But many people, including myself do. Was Beyonce singing live at the Super Bowl, probably not, but because of that she sounded better than Chris Martin who likely was singing live. Pop shows are about the entire package, including the singing, dancing and costumes. Personally, if I'm going to a pop show, I'm fine with artists not singing live, if it improves the overall performance. Do I prefer going to shows with live vocals, yes. But I understand why some artists choose not to do it.

The Gaga was singing live, and can do whatever she wants. I love that she's weird.

I thought Beyonce was kind of dressed like a sexy superhero.

storm-xmen-by-robert-atkins.jpg

It was pretty sexist and the "pop music is yuck" thing makes me enraged, like a lameass four-piece rock band is always better.

Well, Coldplay is certainly better in my opinion which is all I was expressing. Not liking Beyonce does not make a person sexist. Yep, I'm a U2 fan and love 3 or 4 piece rock n' roll and much prefer it to other types of music and simply expressed that.

Whats disturbing though is you feel that someone that does not share your opinion or expresses and opinion that you dislike should disappear. Why?

Don't be mean, Friggin'.

However:

No, it's really not a shame at all.

Probably right in the sense that she would still be an unknown entity without the shock treatment in her work, style, performance etc. Its much more difficult to standout with just the music alone.

You don't seem to like pop music much, which is fine. But many people, including myself do. Was Beyonce singing live at the Super Bowl, probably not, but because of that she sounded better than Chris Martin who likely was singing live. Pop shows are about the entire package, including the singing, dancing and costumes. Personally, if I'm going to a pop show, I'm fine with artists not singing live, if it improves the overall performance. Do I prefer going to shows with live vocals, yes. But I understand why some artists choose not to do it.

The Gaga was singing live, and can do whatever she wants. I love that she's weird.

I would have prefered a full three song set from Coldplay just like U2 did back in 2002. Beyonce and Bruno had their halftime shows in years prior to this one and if that is your taste then thats fine. I prefer U2 and Coldplay.

Probably right in the sense that she would still be an unknown entity without the shock treatment in her work, style, performance etc. Its much more difficult to standout with just the music alone.

Are you serious?!

Do you know how she rose to fame?

Do you say the same about male artist like Bowie that used performance and shock in concurrence with their music?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
Are you serious?!

Do you know how she rose to fame?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

She did not hit #1 until she had videos showing a lot of skin and sex appeal as well as explicit lyrics. I'm talking about national and international fame, not regional fame. Controversy, shock treatment helps to sell the product, or at least gain exposure in order to sell the product. A non-sexual Gaga in all things would have been a different story.

Well, Coldplay is certainly better in my opinion which is all I was expressing. Not liking Beyonce does not make a person sexist. Yep, I'm a U2 fan and love 3 or 4 piece rock n' roll and much prefer it to other types of music and simply expressed that.

Whats disturbing though is you feel that someone that does not share your opinion or expresses and opinion that you dislike should disappear. Why?

You reduced her to a "stripper dancing at a night club". That's pretty offensive champ, particularly considering her music is all about empowering women. That's pretty sexist.

If you don't like Beyonce that's totally fine, but you can express that opinion without being crass and offensive (and not to mention just flat-out wrong). I don't really like music that falls under the umbrella of 'metal', but I long ago learned to stop ignorantly shitting on it just because I don't really like it.

Part of what took away from it was the fact that it was daylight during the show. Coldplay are a very good live band. Rather you like their music or not, they are selling out stadiums everywhere, so a lot of people like them. The Super Bowl performance did not show their strengths at all. Coldplay have several "live moments" that are signature Coldplay moments, and they didn't utilize them.

They could've utilized the Xylo bands from the MX Tour had it been dark. If you watch the Paris DVD from their last tour, "Charlie Brown" was a highlight of the show because of the use of the xylobands.

Other big moments they didn't use-
- The big explosion of sound and lights as the coda of "Fix You" begins (IMO this is their "Streets" moment. Yes they played this song, but it'd be like if U2 played "Streets" during the daylight, and they were showing footage of other performers on the television instead.)
- Sped up version of "Yellow" still probably their most iconic song.
- Chorus of "In my place" (crowd yells "YYYYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" as the lights shine on them.)
- Signature laser effect on "Clocks", also a contender for their most iconic song
- "Politik" is just fantastic live

I think Chris Martin, while I respect his energy as opposed to say, Liam Gallagher, looks kind of stupid when he's always bouncing around the stage. He gets winded, and it detracts from his singing. I remember seeing Coldplay in 2003 in a small theater. On every song, he was either playing a piano or a guitar, and it was great. That suits him better. Obviously at age 33 I'm and "old school" fan, but I actually do like the post VLV stuff, but not as well. I've even warmed up to the new album. I hope they add a show in Ohio, because I'd love to see them again. You'd think right now would be the time for them to add more tour dates, wouldn't you?

Last edited:
Just Dance is one of the most straightforward, least shocking dance pop songs of the last 10 years. It was also an enormous hit. The image/theatricality was important to establishing her as a unique force in music, but she could have racked up hits without the meat dresses and wacky videos. It's not like the skill for great hooks or awesome vocal presence would have disappeared.

You reduced her to a "stripper dancing at a night club". That's pretty offensive champ, particularly considering her music is all about empowering women. That's pretty sexist.

If you don't like Beyonce that's totally fine, but you can express that opinion without being crass and offensive (and not to mention just flat-out wrong). I don't really like music that falls under the umbrella of 'metal', but I long ago learned to stop ignorantly shitting on it just because I don't really like it.

Thats what Beyonce looked like to me, similar dance moves with little to no clothing. Nothing wrong with that though if thats what you enjoy. I was looking for a performance that was about the MUSIC, not an image. Nothing crass and offensive about that. But its obviously offensive to advocate that someone disappear because of an opinion.

I think Chris Martin, while I respect his energy as opposed to say, Liam Gallagher, looks kind of stupid when he's always bouncing around the stage. He gets winded, and it detracts from his singing. I remember seeing Coldplay in 2003 in a small theater. On every song, he was either playing a piano or a guitar, and it was great. That suits him better. Obviously at age 33 I'm and "old school" fan, but I actually do like the post VLV stuff, but not as well. I've even warmed up to the new album. I hope they add a show in Ohio, because I'd love to see them again. You'd think right now would be the time for them to add more tour dates, wouldn't you?

Watching the performance, and I felt that the hunchbacked 'bounce' he does on stage came off as somewhat forced. Like he's constantly telling himself to bend his knees when he's singing and not stationary at a piano.

Thats what Beyonce looked like to me, similar dance moves with little to no clothing. Nothing wrong with that though if thats what you enjoy. I was looking for a performance that was about the MUSIC, not an image. Nothing crass and offensive about that. But its obviously offensive to advocate that someone disappear because of an opinion.

Are you a white middle-aged man who votes Republican? Just asking out of curiosity.

Chris was doing that thing Bono does where he leans forward into the camera a few times in succession before backing off to do something else.

Back
Top Bottom