Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't mind if they performed a medley of Clocks, Viva La Vida, Paradise, A Sky Full of Stars and Adventure of a Lifetime. 4 of their biggest hits plus their latest single.
It'll probably be something like Adventure, Hymn (featuring Beyoncé), and Paradise.
Add A Sky Full of Stars and I think we can lock this one in. I won't be surprised if they ignore any of their pre-MX material.

Last edited:
I think Clocks will be squeezed in, but not necessarily featured fully.

I think there's absolutely no doubt that Paradise will be played. And a very good chance that ASFOS and VLV will both be covered (essentially these are the band's three biggest songs that are "modern.").

I wouldn't mind if they performed a medley of Clocks, Viva La Vida, Paradise, A Sky Full of Stars and Adventure of a Lifetime. 4 of their biggest hits plus their latest single.

I could see this being the case... maybe Yellow in place of Paradise, even.

Title track is cool, but still has sort of "wash of sound" feel that is NOT good. It's not the "wall of sound" feel from Phil Spector or the Smiths. Up&Up has boring part AND Noel's solo.

I think Fun is about as bad a song I've heard from Coldplay. That female vocal just does not fit, though that isn't to say the rest of the song is any good.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

My overwhelming reaction is sadness. I really like Coldplay. I love Coldplay, even. So to listen to this album, I just got sad at how shit it is. This must be the sound that Coldplay haters have been hearing all along. The first song is quite good, and Adventure of a Lifetime is catchy as hell, but they are literally the only two good songs. Up and Up has its moments - though if that solo is passing for 'great' for Coldplay these days they should be worried - and some of his singing in Amazing Day is nice. But yeah, what a fucking stinker. The first ever I won't be buying a Coldplay album.

I liked Mylo Xyloto quite a bit. I had a visceral hatred of Every Teardrop is a Waterfall at first but ended up liking it and overall I found the album had a lot of really good Coldplay songs like Hurts Like Heaven, Charlie Brown, Major Minus... and I liked the Rihanna song too. But it didn't have staying power (I've not gone back to it probably since that year) and was suffocating in its saccharine nature. Ghost Stories is a weird one. I think Midnight was outstanding and I like Always in My Head a lot and Magic became a bit of a fav as well, but it was not a strong album or era for them overall at all in my opinion. It felt weak, more like an EP or a mini-album.

Remember when X&Y was comfortably the worst Coldplay album? I miss those days. That album is very dreary and I also don't go back to it but it has a handful of songs that are really, genuinely good - Square One, Speed of Sound, Fix You, Low.

But this album, man. It just has no passion. Does not feel genuine to me, from the title to the song titles to the cover art, it feels like a pisstake of Coldplay. It's a real shame. Army of One stood out to me as the worst song, although where are this X Marks the Spot and Miracles songs?? Not on Spotify..?

iYup I don't agree with you at all on Interference's distaste for Coldplay. Aside from some blow-ins who always come in and shit on everything they do, I think the regulars quite like them and always give them a chance. This is the first time that I've been really disappointed in a Coldplay album. I think the fact that a lot of people seem sad shows we care for 'em and want 'em to do well. I'm with LM; I hope they can come back with a good album and end on a strong note.

As for lyrics, well we all know they've never been a strong point from the very beginning. I agree with LM again though on lyrics from the Parachutes days. I'd also add that at least the vapid lyrics of those days had conviction behind them. Good delivery. Belief. Passion. They felt genuine. When I listen to a lot of Coldplay songs from the last few albums, it seems more and more like he's trying so hard to write these positive uplifting songs that these lyrics aren't coming from a genuine place. They're forced.

Album ranking:

Parachutes
A Rush of Blood to the Head / Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends
~
Mylo Xyloto / X&Y (I don't care enough for either to go back and listen to them and make a correct order)
Ghost Stories
~
A Head Full of Dreams.

I relistened to A Rush Of Blood To The Head the other day. Parts of that album have really aged poorly in my opinion. Unpopular opinion but I can't stand Clocks. Possibly the biggest raspberry of a chorus on a song that's is supposed to be anthemic. And I still don't care for The Scientist or In My Place at all. Politik used to be my favorite but it's not as good as I remember it being. I mean, it's okay, but to me it'd be one of the weakest tracks on Viva La Vida. Probably my favorites are Green Eyes and God Put A Smile Upon My Face. It's probably been 5 years since I'd listened to it and based on that listen, it might be 5 more before I do again.

My overwhelming reaction is sadness. I really like Coldplay. I love Coldplay, even. So to listen to this album, I just got sad at how shit it is. This must be the sound that Coldplay haters have been hearing all along. The first song is quite good, and Adventure of a Lifetime is catchy as hell, but they are literally the only two good songs. Up and Up has its moments - though if that solo is passing for 'great' for Coldplay these days they should be worried - and some of his singing in Amazing Day is nice. But yeah, what a fucking stinker. The first ever I won't be buying a Coldplay album.

I liked Mylo Xyloto quite a bit. I had a visceral hatred of Every Teardrop is a Waterfall at first but ended up liking it and overall I found the album had a lot of really good Coldplay songs like Hurts Like Heaven, Charlie Brown, Major Minus... and I liked the Rihanna song too. But it didn't have staying power (I've not gone back to it probably since that year) and was suffocating in its saccharine nature. Ghost Stories is a weird one. I think Midnight was outstanding and I like Always in My Head a lot and Magic became a bit of a fav as well, but it was not a strong album or era for them overall at all in my opinion. It felt weak, more like an EP or a mini-album.

Remember when X&Y was comfortably the worst Coldplay album? I miss those days. That album is very dreary and I also don't go back to it but it has a handful of songs that are really, genuinely good - Square One, Speed of Sound, Fix You, Low.

But this album, man. It just has no passion. Does not feel genuine to me, from the title to the song titles to the cover art, it feels like a pisstake of Coldplay. It's a real shame. Army of One stood out to me as the worst song, although where are this X Marks the Spot and Miracles songs?? Not on Spotify..?

iYup I don't agree with you at all on Interference's distaste for Coldplay. Aside from some blow-ins who always come in and shit on everything they do, I think the regulars quite like them and always give them a chance. This is the first time that I've been really disappointed in a Coldplay album. I think the fact that a lot of people seem sad shows we care for 'em and want 'em to do well. I'm with LM; I hope they can come back with a good album and end on a strong note.

As for lyrics, well we all know they've never been a strong point from the very beginning. I agree with LM again though on lyrics from the Parachutes days. I'd also add that at least the vapid lyrics of those days had conviction behind them. Good delivery. Belief. Passion. They felt genuine. When I listen to a lot of Coldplay songs from the last few albums, it seems more and more like he's trying so hard to write these positive uplifting songs that these lyrics aren't coming from a genuine place. They're forced.

Album ranking:

Parachutes
A Rush of Blood to the Head / Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends
~
Mylo Xyloto / X&Y (I don't care enough for either to go back and listen to them and make a correct order)
Ghost Stories
~
A Head Full of Dreams.
X Marks The Spot is the "hidden track" at the end of Army Of One, the song where he sings "you make my heart go boom boom boom boom" it's just really bad and makes Chris Martin sound like an embarrassing uncle trying to be cool.

But yeah, so many things wrong with AHFOD it's such a weak album overall, soulless and plastic.

I relistened to A Rush Of Blood To The Head the other day. Parts of that album have really aged poorly in my opinion. Unpopular opinion but I can't stand Clocks. Possibly the biggest raspberry of a chorus on a song that's is supposed to be anthemic. And I still don't care for The Scientist or In My Place at all. Politik used to be my favorite but it's not as good as I remember it being. I mean, it's okay, but to me it'd be one of the weakest tracks on Viva La Vida. Probably my favorites are Green Eyes and God Put A Smile Upon My Face. It's probably been 5 years since I'd listened to it and based on that listen, it might be 5 more before I do again.

A Rush of Blood to the Head remains a masterpiece for me. Beautiful melodies, great production and a whole greater than the sum of its parts.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The second half of Rush of Blood has really grown on me over the years. I used to find a lot of it forgettable but there are some real gems in there.

For me, it's easily the strongest half of the album. The singles are all a bit overplayed so my favorite tracks are Green Eyes, Warning Sign and the title track. The latter is still my favorite Coldplay song. The live version that's on some old dvd is amazing. The closest they've come to capturing some "U2 magic".

I like Coldplay, saw them twice on the X& Y tour and thought it was good, but I wouldn't consider them near the top of my list of favourite bands.

That said, A Rush of Blood to the Head, probably more than any other album I've ever listened to, has the most sentimental value to me. It came out when I was living overseas, and I listened to it a lot during that time. Listening to it now, I'm instantly transported back to my life living abroad, so the emotional connection with this record is very, very strong.

If I were to compile a list of my favourite 30 Coldplay songs, I think I'd struggle to include anything from AHFOD.. maybe Adventure of a Lifetime if it has some staying power in a couple of months.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

I wouldn't include anything from Mylo Xyloto, Ghost Stories or A Head Full of Dreams in a list of my top 25 favorite Coldplay songs, to be honest. The last 3 albums have some great songs, but not as great as anything before them.

Last edited:
The only time I saw them was on the last tour. I had a great seat, which always helps, but I enjoyed the hell out of the entire show. My only complaint was that it was so short, which was laughable, for those ticket prices and for the amount of material they have.

If I were to compile a list of my favourite 30 Coldplay songs, I think I'd struggle to include anything from AHFOD.. maybe Adventure of a Lifetime if it has some staying power in a couple of months.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin
Agreed. It's kinda sad, I feel that their last few albums is clouding my opinion of them as a whole as a band. They had some great material in their first few album but it's just so grating the direction they've took that I wouldn't even go and see them live now.

For what it's worth, in the era of A Rush of Blood to the Head, and before what came later, I defended this band. I really did. Feels like a lifetime ago.

I never liked The Scientist.

In My Place, though? :drool:

"In My Place" is gorgeous. It's so relaxing, and I love the guitar throughout.

And I'll personally always love "The Scientist". That's my favorite Coldplay song. I also still really enjoy "Clocks"-I'm just a sucker for songs that have a lot of piano in 'em, what can I say :D? And regarding the second half of that album, I really love "Amsterdam". Such a haunting song.

My favorite Coldplay album is Viva La Vida, but A Rush of Blood... is right behind it, if not tied with it at times.

...now I want to go listen to both albums. Hm.

Back
Top Bottom