Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reported.

I feel like Parachutes is ridiculously uneven and have never liked the back half at all. First five would have made a great EP. As for A Rush Of Blood To The Head, I like the album a great deal but don't care for the singles at all.

I feel like Parachutes is ridiculously uneven and have never liked the back half at all. First five would have made a great EP.

You don't like Trouble?! Good God, that song is beautiful. Maybe my favorite Coldplay song. Definitely miles ahead of anything since VLV. I can't remember the last time Chris Martin wrote a piano riff that could carry a song like that.

High Speed is also great, like maybe in my top 10 great. The other three make for pleasant background music but aren't overly memorable. First half easily makes up for that though, expertly balancing outsized emotion and musical finesse.

I love Don't Panic, Shiver, Yellow, Trouble and Everything's Not Lost. I've been warming up to the rest of the album recently cause I used to be indifferent about them.

Just heard the whole album.

Not as bad as I expected after reading all the negative stuff. Needs more listens though.

Best: Fun
Worst: Everglow

Whenever I look at the track listing now I only really want to listen to the title track and Up&Up. *shrug*

I am really, really liking Up&Up, so at least there is a new coldplay song that I really like to come out of this album.

Last month I went on a VLV and AROBTTH binge after not hearing those albums for a few years. It struck me just how coherent and phenomenal those albums really were. Needless to say, I was I was pretty worried about hearing the new album after all the negative stuff on here.
Initial reaction: Terrible, terrible album. Terrible production, completely incoherent. And I'm somebody who actually loves Mylo Xyloto. After a week or so of giving it an honest chance, it's actually grown on me a bit. Overall thoughts:

AHFOD: The production stinks, and I wasn't digging it until I checked out the live version on youtube. It's gonna be a great live song and I'm loving the song now. Great opener.

Birds: Love the music, but Martin's vocals seem a bit burried. The beginning of the song sort of reminds me of The Arcade Fire and the end rips The Strokes melody from Under the Cover of Darkness. I really enjoy this song.

HFTW: Ugh. Why did they have to put this on the album? I admit, it is catchy as hell, but it really destroys the momentum and any sense of cohesion generated from the first two songs. I actually kind of like the song, but it should have been a stand alone single rather than being on the album. Again, listening to the live version on youtube sort of converted me into appreciating the song for what it is.

Everglow: Beautiful melody, but I don't feel like it really goes anywhere. Originally this was one of my favorites from the album, but I'm already bored with it. Those backing vocals from Gweneth really needed to be omitted also.

AOAL: Super catchy, but so repetitive that I'm already tired of it. I'm sure it'll be a fun one live.

Fun: Nice guitar, nice vocals, and nice melody. The duet actually really compliments the song. This won't be a song that I will actively wanting to listen to, but also not one that I have felt the urge to skip.

Army of One: There is a good song buried underneath all of the shit going on with this one. That "do we do we" effect is plain obnoxious. Like the song, hate some of the audio effects that were used.

X Marks the Spot: My heart goes boo boo boo boom. I actually like the vocals and the chorus, but what is with those lyrics?

Amazing Day: I really love this song. Once again, it is way overproduced, but I still love it. Great melody, and a feel good song. Yeah, it's sappy, but I love the sentiment. Great melody and has a really classic feel to it. Once again, the live version is far superior.

Up&Up: Loving it, even though the production is once again bad. I'm not fond of the lyrics repeating "up and up" during the verses--I think places where Martin sings other lyrics in place of "up and up" sound much, much better. Great melody, great bridge, great solos from Noel. Again, the live version is far superior. (Notice a trend?)

Miracles: How did this song not make the album when so many other questionable tracks did?

In the end, I would rank this studio album to be a low point in their career because of the horrible production decisions. It could have been great to these ears with a more raw feel like the live versions. The fortunate thing is that those live versions are awesome and I'll definitely be catching a show later this year.

I mean, the lyrics are on the album. I can hear them. If they were an optional feature I could turn off, that would help.

I mean, the lyrics are on the album. I can hear them. If they were an optional feature I could turn off, that would help.

The vocals aren't mixed in very well either. Perhaps it's worth turning C.Martin off altogether on this one!

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

So do Coldplay perform a song off their new album at the Super Bowel movement?

My guess is no -- mostly due to the lack of fit. Not the lack of support.

Open with Viva la Vida. For a second song, do a medley of Yellow to start, something in the middle, and A Sky Full of Stars to wrap that up. Then perform Paradise.

Got around to listening to A Head Full of Dreams and sorry to say - it's kind of a mess. That's two albums in a row now that - ah, I dunno. The band (Chris) I think need to rethink things. Album does end well with Amazing Day and Up & Up, but getting through all that precedes those is a chore.

Got around to listening to A Head Full of Dreams and sorry to say - it's kind of a mess. That's two albums in a row now that - ah, I dunno. The band (Chris) I think need to rethink things. Album does end well with Amazing Day and Up & Up, but getting through all that precedes those is a chore.
Amazing Day is absolute dross.

So do Coldplay perform a song off their new album at the Super Bowel movement?

My guess is no -- mostly due to the lack of fit. Not the lack of support.

Open with Viva la Vida. For a second song, do a medley of Yellow to start, something in the middle, and A Sky Full of Stars to wrap that up. Then perform Paradise.

I think they'll do "Adventure of a Lifetime" for sure.
They should play...
Always In My Head
Midnight
Amsterdam
It'll get the crowd hyped.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It'll probably be something like Adventure, Hymn (featuring Beyoncé), and Paradise.

Back
Top Bottom