Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think he'll react that way when he will still be performing to crowds of tens of thousands.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Best moment on the album is delivered by Noel Gallagher

Coldplay have never been great. Not even the best Brit band of last 15 years.

Chris Martin will top himself at the fact his music is shite and people don't like it.

Man you say some fucked up shit sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think every album they've been released after viva la vida has garnered an "ehrrrmagad did is zhit!" response on interference.

It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, but if you're looking for anything complicated or deep, you really shouldn't be looking at Coldplay anyways.

I mean really... Yellow? Come on. Good song but even Chris himself admits that the lyrics are utterly meaningless.

I'm not sure that the last fifteen, let alone twenty years, have been that great for British bands in general. In fact if you take Radiohead out of the equation, the last twenty five years start looking pretty horrific.

I think every album they've been released after viva la vida has garnered an "ehrrrmagad did is zhit!" response on interference.

It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, but if you're looking for anything complicated or deep, you really shouldn't be looking at Coldplay anyways.

I mean really... Yellow? Come on. Good song but even Chris himself admits that the lyrics are utterly meaningless.
Ok, it's not the worst thing I've ever heard but come on, it's pretty bland and it'll probably appeal to the masses because of that, at best it's a 5/10. Not a patch on their earlier stuff.
They've definitely taken a weird direction lately, at one point I actually thought they may be able to get to U2s level of creativity but that's long gone as they seem to be in a downward spiral now.

What really annoys though is that they seem to have sold out to gain popularity and younger fans, all the stupid ape videos, neon colors and poppy production just screams cheap gimmicks because the music isn't that good.

I think my biggest complaint about the album is its lack of originality, its literally the definition of "generic Coldplay" if that makes any sense. At least MX and Ghost Stories went in different directions, this is just bland and inoffensive. I'm not asking for ground breaking stuff, just something even slightly different.

Ok, it's not the worst thing I've ever heard but come on, it's pretty bland and it'll probably appeal to the masses because of that, at best it's a 5/10. Not a patch on their earlier stuff.
They've definitely taken a weird direction lately, at one point I actually thought they may be able to get to U2s level of creativity but that's long gone as they seem to be in a downward spiral now.

What really annoys though is that they seem to have sold out to gain popularity and younger fans, all the stupid ape videos, neon colors and poppy production just screams cheap gimmicks because the music isn't that good.

Don't forget the collaborations, I feel like those are gimmicky too.

While I'd agree that the last 15 years have been pretty weak, if you go back further than that you're ignoring all the great 90s bands. Whether it's to your taste or not, it would be pretty odd to label an era "horrific" when it has Pulp, Blur, The Verve, The Stone Roses, Super Furry Animals, Suede, etc.

While I'd agree that the last 15 years have been pretty weak, if you go back further than that you're ignoring all the great 90s bands. Whether it's to your taste or not, it would be pretty odd to label an era "horrific" when it has Pulp, Blur, The Verve, The Stone Roses, Super Furry Animals, Suede, etc.

And Doves. They're great. Unfortunately I don't know if we'll ever get another album.

Don't forget the collaborations, I feel like those are gimmicky too.
The Gweneth Paltrow parts on the album are terrible, cringe worthy nevermind the Obama speech. What was going through Chris Martins head when he thought that would be good?

It's bad. Just because they've released bad/not deep/not meaningful albums in the past doesn't make this one less bad.

Best moment on the album is delivered by Noel Gallagher

Coldplay have never been great. Not even the best Brit band of last 15 years.

Chris Martin will top himself at the fact his music is shite and people don't like it.

Funny, because the numbers disagree with just about everything you said.

Hey, I was right! I like this record. It's nothing earth shattering, but definitely pleasant and fun.

I'll give this one more listen. Maybe a third listen is the charm. But considering how awful the first two listens went, the bar isn't set high.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I gave this (crap) album a first listen, and i know it's not masterpiece, but it doesn't induce anger like last Muse record, so i'd give it a decent 4/very weak 5.

The album was always going to be commercially successful, just because it is Coldplay.

It's more a case of whether this album is poor enough to peg them back a notch with their commercial potential for their next release.

But even if they are trying to pander to younger audience with this happy-go-lucky, colourful release, they're not doing a very good job of it.

I reckon Adventure of a Lifetime and Hymn for the Weekend are the only tracks that may satisfy the mainstream.

The delivery and execution of everything else on this album is absolutely shithouse.

The Obama concept is terrible, made worse by the fact that, to me, it doesn't sound anything like Obama.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Never has a band peaked so early, its been a steady decline in quality. And this is there lowest point, absolute shite.
Interpol, The Strokes, Bloc Party...

Three of Coldplay's first four albums are pretty great. And I think Viva La Vida is their best album actually.

Bloc Party's peak is the first HALF of their debut. That's rough.

Agreed with Mack that Muse's album is worse than AHFOD, bad as the latter may be.

I like the first half of the album, through Fun. After that is a terrible stretch until Up&Up.

So not as bad as some others here think, but not a ringing endorsement either. Mylo was much better.

Back
Top Bottom