Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 02-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #436
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Bruno Mars might make Bono look tall

Old 02-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #437
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:27 AM
He tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #438
45:33

Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Larry54 View Post
Really? Why?
It was pretty sexist and the "pop music is yuck" thing makes me enraged, like a lameass four-piece rock band is always better.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #439
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
I'm fine with artists not singing live, if it improves the overall performance.
I can't imagine going to a concert today where lip-synching is a possibility and not being bothered by it.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #440
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
It was pretty sexist and the "pop music is yuck" thing makes me enraged, like a lameass four-piece rock band is always better.
Well, Coldplay is certainly better in my opinion which is all I was expressing. Not liking Beyonce does not make a person sexist. Yep, I'm a U2 fan and love 3 or 4 piece rock n' roll and much prefer it to other types of music and simply expressed that.

Whats disturbing though is you feel that someone that does not share your opinion or expresses and opinion that you dislike should disappear. Why?
Old 02-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #441
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Don't be mean, Friggin'.

However:

No, it's really not a shame at all.
Probably right in the sense that she would still be an unknown entity without the shock treatment in her work, style, performance etc. Its much more difficult to standout with just the music alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
You don't seem to like pop music much, which is fine. But many people, including myself do. Was Beyonce singing live at the Super Bowl, probably not, but because of that she sounded better than Chris Martin who likely was singing live. Pop shows are about the entire package, including the singing, dancing and costumes. Personally, if I'm going to a pop show, I'm fine with artists not singing live, if it improves the overall performance. Do I prefer going to shows with live vocals, yes. But I understand why some artists choose not to do it.

The Gaga was singing live, and can do whatever she wants. I love that she's weird.

I would have prefered a full three song set from Coldplay just like U2 did back in 2002. Beyonce and Bruno had their halftime shows in years prior to this one and if that is your taste then thats fine. I prefer U2 and Coldplay.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #442
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

Quote:
Probably right in the sense that she would still be an unknown entity without the shock treatment in her work, style, performance etc. Its much more difficult to standout with just the music alone.

Are you serious?!

Do you know how she rose to fame?

Do you say the same about male artist like Bowie that used performance and shock in concurrence with their music?

Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #443
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Are you serious?!

Do you know how she rose to fame?

She did not hit #1 until she had videos showing a lot of skin and sex appeal as well as explicit lyrics. I'm talking about national and international fame, not regional fame. Controversy, shock treatment helps to sell the product, or at least gain exposure in order to sell the product. A non-sexual Gaga in all things would have been a different story.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #444

Quote:
Well, Coldplay is certainly better in my opinion which is all I was expressing. Not liking Beyonce does not make a person sexist. Yep, I'm a U2 fan and love 3 or 4 piece rock n' roll and much prefer it to other types of music and simply expressed that.

Whats disturbing though is you feel that someone that does not share your opinion or expresses and opinion that you dislike should disappear. Why?
You reduced her to a "stripper dancing at a night club". That's pretty offensive champ, particularly considering her music is all about empowering women. That's pretty sexist.

If you don't like Beyonce that's totally fine, but you can express that opinion without being crass and offensive (and not to mention just flat-out wrong). I don't really like music that falls under the umbrella of 'metal', but I long ago learned to stop ignorantly shitting on it just because I don't really like it.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #445
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Part of what took away from it was the fact that it was daylight during the show. Coldplay are a very good live band. Rather you like their music or not, they are selling out stadiums everywhere, so a lot of people like them. The Super Bowl performance did not show their strengths at all. Coldplay have several "live moments" that are signature Coldplay moments, and they didn't utilize them.

They could've utilized the Xylo bands from the MX Tour had it been dark. If you watch the Paris DVD from their last tour, "Charlie Brown" was a highlight of the show because of the use of the xylobands.

Other big moments they didn't use-
- The big explosion of sound and lights as the coda of "Fix You" begins (IMO this is their "Streets" moment. Yes they played this song, but it'd be like if U2 played "Streets" during the daylight, and they were showing footage of other performers on the television instead.)
- Sped up version of "Yellow" still probably their most iconic song.
- Chorus of "In my place" (crowd yells "YYYYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" as the lights shine on them.)
- Signature laser effect on "Clocks", also a contender for their most iconic song
- "Politik" is just fantastic live

I think Chris Martin, while I respect his energy as opposed to say, Liam Gallagher, looks kind of stupid when he's always bouncing around the stage. He gets winded, and it detracts from his singing. I remember seeing Coldplay in 2003 in a small theater. On every song, he was either playing a piano or a guitar, and it was great. That suits him better. Obviously at age 33 I'm and "old school" fan, but I actually do like the post VLV stuff, but not as well. I've even warmed up to the new album. I hope they add a show in Ohio, because I'd love to see them again. You'd think right now would be the time for them to add more tour dates, wouldn't you?
Old 02-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #446
A childless dog

Just Dance is one of the most straightforward, least shocking dance pop songs of the last 10 years. It was also an enormous hit. The image/theatricality was important to establishing her as a unique force in music, but she could have racked up hits without the meat dresses and wacky videos. It's not like the skill for great hooks or awesome vocal presence would have disappeared.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #447
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
You reduced her to a "stripper dancing at a night club". That's pretty offensive champ, particularly considering her music is all about empowering women. That's pretty sexist.

If you don't like Beyonce that's totally fine, but you can express that opinion without being crass and offensive (and not to mention just flat-out wrong). I don't really like music that falls under the umbrella of 'metal', but I long ago learned to stop ignorantly shitting on it just because I don't really like it.
Thats what Beyonce looked like to me, similar dance moves with little to no clothing. Nothing wrong with that though if thats what you enjoy. I was looking for a performance that was about the MUSIC, not an image. Nothing crass and offensive about that. But its obviously offensive to advocate that someone disappear because of an opinion.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #448
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I think Chris Martin, while I respect his energy as opposed to say, Liam Gallagher, looks kind of stupid when he's always bouncing around the stage. He gets winded, and it detracts from his singing. I remember seeing Coldplay in 2003 in a small theater. On every song, he was either playing a piano or a guitar, and it was great. That suits him better. Obviously at age 33 I'm and "old school" fan, but I actually do like the post VLV stuff, but not as well. I've even warmed up to the new album. I hope they add a show in Ohio, because I'd love to see them again. You'd think right now would be the time for them to add more tour dates, wouldn't you?
Watching the performance, and I felt that the hunchbacked 'bounce' he does on stage came off as somewhat forced. Like he's constantly telling himself to bend his knees when he's singing and not stationary at a piano.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #449

Quote:
Thats what Beyonce looked like to me, similar dance moves with little to no clothing. Nothing wrong with that though if thats what you enjoy. I was looking for a performance that was about the MUSIC, not an image. Nothing crass and offensive about that. But its obviously offensive to advocate that someone disappear because of an opinion.
Are you a white middle-aged man who votes Republican? Just asking out of curiosity.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #450
A childless dog

Chris was doing that thing Bono does where he leans forward into the camera a few times in succession before backing off to do something else.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote