Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #436
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: nyc
Posts: 51,725
Local Time: 11:27 AM
Bruno Mars might make Bono look tall
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #437
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 8,915
Local Time: 08:27 AM
He tiny.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #438
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 52,777
Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Larry54 View Post
Really? Why?
It was pretty sexist and the "pop music is yuck" thing makes me enraged, like a lameass four-piece rock band is always better.
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #439
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,965
Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
I'm fine with artists not singing live, if it improves the overall performance.
I can't imagine going to a concert today where lip-synching is a possibility and not being bothered by it.
__________________
kabigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #440
The Fly
 
U2Larry54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 73
Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
It was pretty sexist and the "pop music is yuck" thing makes me enraged, like a lameass four-piece rock band is always better.
Well, Coldplay is certainly better in my opinion which is all I was expressing. Not liking Beyonce does not make a person sexist. Yep, I'm a U2 fan and love 3 or 4 piece rock n' roll and much prefer it to other types of music and simply expressed that.

Whats disturbing though is you feel that someone that does not share your opinion or expresses and opinion that you dislike should disappear. Why?
__________________
U2Larry54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #441
The Fly
 
U2Larry54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 73
Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Don't be mean, Friggin'.

However:



No, it's really not a shame at all.
Probably right in the sense that she would still be an unknown entity without the shock treatment in her work, style, performance etc. Its much more difficult to standout with just the music alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
You don't seem to like pop music much, which is fine. But many people, including myself do. Was Beyonce singing live at the Super Bowl, probably not, but because of that she sounded better than Chris Martin who likely was singing live. Pop shows are about the entire package, including the singing, dancing and costumes. Personally, if I'm going to a pop show, I'm fine with artists not singing live, if it improves the overall performance. Do I prefer going to shows with live vocals, yes. But I understand why some artists choose not to do it.

The Gaga was singing live, and can do whatever she wants. I love that she's weird.

I would have prefered a full three song set from Coldplay just like U2 did back in 2002. Beyonce and Bruno had their halftime shows in years prior to this one and if that is your taste then thats fine. I prefer U2 and Coldplay.
__________________
U2Larry54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #442
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 38,340
Local Time: 10:27 AM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Larry54 View Post
Probably right in the sense that she would still be an unknown entity without the shock treatment in her work, style, performance etc. Its much more difficult to standout with just the music alone.








Are you serious?!

Do you know how she rose to fame?

Do you say the same about male artist like Bowie that used performance and shock in concurrence with their music?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #443
The Fly
 
U2Larry54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 73
Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Are you serious?!

Do you know how she rose to fame?



Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
She did not hit #1 until she had videos showing a lot of skin and sex appeal as well as explicit lyrics. I'm talking about national and international fame, not regional fame. Controversy, shock treatment helps to sell the product, or at least gain exposure in order to sell the product. A non-sexual Gaga in all things would have been a different story.
__________________
U2Larry54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #444
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 52,777
Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Larry54 View Post
Well, Coldplay is certainly better in my opinion which is all I was expressing. Not liking Beyonce does not make a person sexist. Yep, I'm a U2 fan and love 3 or 4 piece rock n' roll and much prefer it to other types of music and simply expressed that.

Whats disturbing though is you feel that someone that does not share your opinion or expresses and opinion that you dislike should disappear. Why?
You reduced her to a "stripper dancing at a night club". That's pretty offensive champ, particularly considering her music is all about empowering women. That's pretty sexist.

If you don't like Beyonce that's totally fine, but you can express that opinion without being crass and offensive (and not to mention just flat-out wrong). I don't really like music that falls under the umbrella of 'metal', but I long ago learned to stop ignorantly shitting on it just because I don't really like it.
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #445
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Urbana, Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,783
Local Time: 04:27 PM
Part of what took away from it was the fact that it was daylight during the show. Coldplay are a very good live band. Rather you like their music or not, they are selling out stadiums everywhere, so a lot of people like them. The Super Bowl performance did not show their strengths at all. Coldplay have several "live moments" that are signature Coldplay moments, and they didn't utilize them.

They could've utilized the Xylo bands from the MX Tour had it been dark. If you watch the Paris DVD from their last tour, "Charlie Brown" was a highlight of the show because of the use of the xylobands.

Other big moments they didn't use-
- The big explosion of sound and lights as the coda of "Fix You" begins (IMO this is their "Streets" moment. Yes they played this song, but it'd be like if U2 played "Streets" during the daylight, and they were showing footage of other performers on the television instead.)
- Sped up version of "Yellow" still probably their most iconic song.
- Chorus of "In my place" (crowd yells "YYYYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" as the lights shine on them.)
- Signature laser effect on "Clocks", also a contender for their most iconic song
- "Politik" is just fantastic live

I think Chris Martin, while I respect his energy as opposed to say, Liam Gallagher, looks kind of stupid when he's always bouncing around the stage. He gets winded, and it detracts from his singing. I remember seeing Coldplay in 2003 in a small theater. On every song, he was either playing a piano or a guitar, and it was great. That suits him better. Obviously at age 33 I'm and "old school" fan, but I actually do like the post VLV stuff, but not as well. I've even warmed up to the new album. I hope they add a show in Ohio, because I'd love to see them again. You'd think right now would be the time for them to add more tour dates, wouldn't you?
__________________
The_acrobat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #446
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,361
Local Time: 08:27 AM
Just Dance is one of the most straightforward, least shocking dance pop songs of the last 10 years. It was also an enormous hit. The image/theatricality was important to establishing her as a unique force in music, but she could have racked up hits without the meat dresses and wacky videos. It's not like the skill for great hooks or awesome vocal presence would have disappeared.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #447
The Fly
 
U2Larry54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 73
Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
You reduced her to a "stripper dancing at a night club". That's pretty offensive champ, particularly considering her music is all about empowering women. That's pretty sexist.

If you don't like Beyonce that's totally fine, but you can express that opinion without being crass and offensive (and not to mention just flat-out wrong). I don't really like music that falls under the umbrella of 'metal', but I long ago learned to stop ignorantly shitting on it just because I don't really like it.
Thats what Beyonce looked like to me, similar dance moves with little to no clothing. Nothing wrong with that though if thats what you enjoy. I was looking for a performance that was about the MUSIC, not an image. Nothing crass and offensive about that. But its obviously offensive to advocate that someone disappear because of an opinion.
__________________
U2Larry54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #448
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,289
Local Time: 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I think Chris Martin, while I respect his energy as opposed to say, Liam Gallagher, looks kind of stupid when he's always bouncing around the stage. He gets winded, and it detracts from his singing. I remember seeing Coldplay in 2003 in a small theater. On every song, he was either playing a piano or a guitar, and it was great. That suits him better. Obviously at age 33 I'm and "old school" fan, but I actually do like the post VLV stuff, but not as well. I've even warmed up to the new album. I hope they add a show in Ohio, because I'd love to see them again. You'd think right now would be the time for them to add more tour dates, wouldn't you?
Watching the performance, and I felt that the hunchbacked 'bounce' he does on stage came off as somewhat forced. Like he's constantly telling himself to bend his knees when he's singing and not stationary at a piano.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #449
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 52,777
Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Larry54 View Post
Thats what Beyonce looked like to me, similar dance moves with little to no clothing. Nothing wrong with that though if thats what you enjoy. I was looking for a performance that was about the MUSIC, not an image. Nothing crass and offensive about that. But its obviously offensive to advocate that someone disappear because of an opinion.
Are you a white middle-aged man who votes Republican? Just asking out of curiosity.
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #450
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,361
Local Time: 08:27 AM
Chris was doing that thing Bono does where he leans forward into the camera a few times in succession before backing off to do something else.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com