Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's been a downward trend for years (decades), but I don't think I am over the fact that they recorded a song with Chainsmokers.

Is a track with Avicii that much better? That was the final nail in the coffin really.

Talk's music is great. As a guitarist, that tone is amazing. I'm also one of the few (it seems) that loves Mylo Xyloto. A Head Full Of Dreams is easily my least favorite.

1. Viva La Vida
2. Mylo Xyloto
3. A Rush Of Blood To The Head
4. X&Y
5. Ghost Stories (but only the deluxe edition with the great bonus tracks)
6. Parachutes
7. A Head Full Of Dreams

Really though 3-6 are pretty even for me. My least favorite "hits" are on Rush Of Blood (The Scientist and Clocks).

I've never understood the love for Talk. One of the most overrated songs. If I wanted to listen to Kraftwerk I'd listen to Kraftwerk.

Glass Candy did it better as well:

As for album ratings...
1. Parachutes
2. Viva La Vida
3. Rush of Blood
~big gap~
4. Mylo Xyloto
5. X&Y
6. Ghost Stories
~gigantic chasm~
7. Head Full of Dreams

Computer Love is an amazing song. Talk is pretty bland until the chorus, which is basically just Computer Love.

Is a track with Avicii that much better? That was the final nail in the coffin really.

This was the ultimate low for me.

It's been a downward trend for years (decades), but I don't think I am over the fact that they recorded a song with Chainsmokers.

Once Avicii happened, after Rihanna (a fine song though), and then the Beyoncé thing came along... I was HAPPY to see that their Bonoesque search for relevance at least left them with musicians who don't totally steal Coldplay's thunder.

Computer Love is amazing. That Glass Candy cover is not.

The version of Talk that leaked before X&Y came out was miles better. Personally, I still think they were fucking idiots for ditching it.

what still surprises me is that Kraftwerk's songs only have simple rhythm and melodies yet they are compelling and often intense.

The version of Talk that leaked before X&Y came out was miles better. Personally, I still think they were fucking idiots for ditching it.

Bloody hell, you're right, that version's definitely better.

Interesting, I had never heard this version before.

Yeah wow, that's a million times better. Had never heard it before. Akin to U2 ruining Mercy and never releasing it.

The drumming is what makes that version. Really propulsive.

I remember hearing that version of Talk when it was leaked about half a year before the album version. When I finally heard the album version it was a "WTF" moment.

Thoughts on the new EP? I think it's good. Miracles (Someone Special) seems to be the only song that's radio friendly.

Thoughts on the new EP? I think it's good. Miracles (Someone Special) seems to be the only song that's radio friendly.
All totally forgettable except for All I Can Think About Is You which is the best Coldplay song since VLV.

All I Can Think About You is one of their best songs in a long ass time.

Listened to ALIENS, seemed pretty interesting. Hypnotised and All I Can Think About You are pleasant.

The Chainsmoking song is a toxic inclusion. Can't be arsed with that.

I'm out in Stade de France for Coldplay now. Opener is on the stage. No clue who the heck it is. Can't tell if I'm losing touch, or if Coldplay offers a grand stage to a truly up lesser known artist.

I'm out in Stade de France for Coldplay now. Opener is on the stage. No clue who the heck it is. Can't tell if I'm losing touch, or if Coldplay offers a grand stage to a truly up lesser known artist.
You're just old! Enjoy.

Because Coldplay switches producers so often, it really depends on the album. Parachutes is perfect and Rush of Blood sounds really good, but X&Y overdoes it on the reverb in order to capture that arena rock hugeness. It doesn't sound horrible, but everything is kind of a dull wash. Meanwhile, Eno did a masterful job with Viva La Vida because of course he did.

Mylo Xyloto's production where things started going downhill. That album is sterile, brickwalled garbage. Hurts Like Heaven in particular is HTDAAB-level bad. Just compare Yellow to Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall; all of the space in the mixing is gone and it physically hurts to listen to beyond a fairly low volume because the mastering job was botched. Ghost Stories, on the other hand, sounded pretty good because they weren't overdubbing the hell out of everything and at least tried to give the album atmosphere, but it's a little impersonal sounding for what it is. I don't have much to say about Head Full of Dreams; it's pop industry standard, optimized for radio, and lacks personality.

Their two worst sounding records don't have "Coldplay" listed as a production credit, so that says something right there. Now, they aren't credited on Viva La Vida either, but Eno wasn't about to let that thing leave the studio not sounding great. In general, I think it's for the worse that two of their last three albums were handed off to pop producers.

Last edited:
Oh I appreciate their music production, but I was actually referring to the show production. The live setup is fantastic. It makes you like songs like that silly chainsmokers song.

IMG_5911.JPG
IMG_5884.JPG
IMG_5872.JPG

Just some of my favorites off my camera.

:lol: There was a gap of like 12 hours between those two posts so I thought you had changed subjects. Oh well!

Oh and if anybody is curious - Coldplay were recording live from Paris. Hence multiple shows.

Didn't they have a live Paris show a few years back?

They do look like they absolutely own the stadium shows, would love to see one.

Back
Top Bottom