Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw them a few weeks back. I had seats in the nosebleed section (as opposed to being on the floor as I was during the last tour) so the experience was only ok. You really need to be amongst it to enjoy the show, so I envied everyone down there.

The tour reignited my interest in their catalogue and I have an increased regard for Ghost Stories. The whole album will be mostly remembered for big dumb pop song Sky Full of Stars, but it's otherwise quite an enjoyable ride. Perhaps remove Sky Full of Stars (and Ink?) and replace with All My Friends and:eek:r Atlas and it is something that on the whole, I would be particularly fond of.

Ghost Stories at least suggests that they are prone to restlessness, which they need to be after the stinker that was Head Full of Dreams, which just comes across to me as a lazy and far, far weaker reimagination of Mylo Xyloto.

Totally agree on their last album. The most amazing thing about it is that it makes a quite shit album in Ghost Stories look really, really good. Always in My Head, Magic and Midnight are great tracks. More than I can say of anything off their latest.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really do not like Mylo Xyloto and Head Full of Dreams, but Ghost Stories was at least a cool skeleton of a record. Some nice pieces and ideas and moments of inspiration, though it's not quite satisfying as a complete album.

As a break-up album it's laughably bad. Borderline as bad as they get. But as a Coldplay album it's got quite a few salvageable moments.

As a break-up album it's laughably bad. Borderline as bad as they get. But as a Coldplay album it's got quite a few salvageable moments.

They've got a new album (EP) coming out in 2017 "Kaleidoscope".

They've got a new album (EP) coming out in 2017 "Kaleidoscope".

Apparently a couple songs are being produced by The Chainsmokers. If so, I am not excited for that at all.
I've been listening through their early stuff lately and it's so good. Bigger Stronger, See You Soon, Sparks, Careful Where You Stand, Everything's Not Lost, One I Love, etc. All way better than the new stuff.
I am a fan of Ghost Stories. Another's Arms, Midnight, Always In My Head, Fly On -- all excellent.

Apparently a couple songs are being produced by The Chainsmokers. If so, I am not excited for that at all.
I've been listening through their early stuff lately and it's so good. Bigger Stronger, See You Soon, Sparks, Careful Where You Stand, Everything's Not Lost, One I Love, etc. All way better than the new stuff.
I am a fan of Ghost Stories. Another's Arms, Midnight, Always In My Head, Fly On -- all excellent.
No doubt we'll get more bubblegum pop..... urghh.

In fairness, I do think the chainsmokers are a good thing for pop music. So it could be worse.

Get Ryan Tedder in here.

Oh. Closer vibes really well.

Everything else they do is total shit. But that's their most recent and I wouldn't complain if more pop music was like it.

I don't get this hype over Chainsmokers. I thought they're joke group making songs about recent pop culture shit.

Here it is.

The good news is that it's for The Chainsmokers' album, so it might be a one time thing.
It's definitely a new low for them.

Last edited:
The Coldplay/Chainsmokers song is shockingly bad. Pretty much cements the death of Coldplay.

ugh. So bad. Is that the only synth/beat that The Chainsmokers use?

That said, it will played all over "alternative" radio and pop stations. While U2's next outing of (probable) hit-chasing will be completely ignored.

Exactly, it'll be played non stop.

I've officially become my parents/old. Music just ain't what it used to be :)

Sorta true. But I love new, current music. I scour for good music every year, and find a ton. The sad part is that you hear about 50% of the same music cross over from so-called alternative radio to pop stations. Maybe that is good in some way that music is kinda blurring the genre lines, but real alt/indie bands really have no platform anymore.
For christ's sake, i thought the new Green Day song was like Fall Out Boy or something, it was just so bland. It is played about 50 times a day on the local station here. sad!

Theres "being old" and theres not liking shit music, this is just shit music.

I miss the time when Coldplay worked with Eno and shit, man

This was my first thought when I heard he song, a longing for the Viva La Vida Coldplay.

I honestly feel that they've maxed out this whole big dumb pop anthem gimmick. They need to get out of this phase as there is nothing left in this space for them to achieve. And they surely will at some point won't they? Can't keep going on like this. They seem restless enough.

well even Linking Park is taking "going pop to stay relevant" path so i guess all kinds of big bands from 2000s will ruin themselves in the process of staying relevant and contemporary.

No one could possibly long for Viva la Vida Coldplay to come back more than me, but I...actually like that new song. It's like Sky Full Of Stars except executed well. The biggest problem with it is just that: it's similar to Sky Full Of Stars, which is never a flattering thing. But the verse has some nice melodies, Chris' vocals are solid and the production is great.

Coldplay's biggest crime is not that their hits sound like this, it's that their album tracks are trash these days.

So Chainsmokers just reused the Roses beat and slapped Chris Martin on there...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom