Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everglow isn't that bad. It's not good, but hardly anything on the album is. Hymn for the Weekend is much shittier.

Let's not compare Yellow and The Scientist to their new music. Please. As with new Weezer, I like to pretend it's a separate band.

Last edited:
Listened to the album again as I was driving around.

First two songs, and the lead singles are the only songs I can stand. The rest are just horrible, just horrible. Army of One just made me wonder if CM snuck in during the mastering process and added on the hip hop part.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The whole Coldplay bandwagon just makes me want to vomit these days. I know U2 aren't the best when it comes to advertising (Apple etc) but they've musically never sunk to Coldplay depths. Their new video with the Beats pill and the stupid dancing monkeys, their now terrible pop/R&B sound mixed with horrible cheesy songs, it's all so cynical and looks like a ploy to gain younger, hip and mainstream pop fans. They were such a great, great band who look like they've completely sold out whilst losing their talent, makes me sick.

Last edited:
I've also decided that I like this album. I'm not sure if it's because I read the posts here and my expectations were at an all time low or not.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've also decided that I like this album. I'm not sure if it's because I read the posts here and my expectations were at an all time low or not.

Dead to me

Let this moment be known, mikal was the first to come out (as an album fan).

i've also decided that i like this album. I'm not sure if it's because i read the posts here and my expectations were at an all time low or not.

:d

Just bought it and giving it the first listen right now. Three songs in and I'm not puking so far, so maybe I'll be in a similar boat here?

I'm going to pull the comparison card, just because it's interesting that 15 years into their career, U2 were deep into their passengers era and working on songs for the POP album. Maybe that level of creativity was an easier place to fall into in 1995 because the music industry was much different than it is now. I dunno, 15 years into their own career Coldplay are in a much weirder place than U2 was I guess.

Coldplay was never great. I really like Parachutes, but it's pleasant more than anything else. The stature of Rush of Blood to the Head as one of this forum's sacred cows is something I will never understand, and everything after that is patchy at best. Their decline in quality is not a Quadrophenia to Face Dances sort of plummeting.

I still don't understand why all the music has to be this upbeat and all happy-happy

That's easy to understand.

Martin was upset about his breakup (Ghost Stories), and announcing he's going to try to move on (AHFOD).

He's not he best of songwriters, but they're definitely a 1-2 punch on the same topic.

Initial thoughts: Not as bad as I thought it'd be. I get where some are coming from when it comes to the 'bright' aspect of it, but as LuckyNumber said, I suspect that's because it's sort of the flip side of the coin from (most of) Ghost Stories. The upbeat nature or hip-hop production influences aren't bothering me so much on this one... not like a lot of Mylo Xyloto did for me, anyway.

It's not going to enter the Rush of Blood-Viva la Vida period for me, but I might actually come back to this one more often than their last two albums. We'll see anyway!

Hymn For The Weekend and X Marks The Spot are standouts?!?!?!?!?!

My expectations were especially low for HFTW, given the hate for it on here, but it was better than I anticipated. It is bit busy musically though - too much going on.

I actually like the fact that C. Martin is doing something so outrageous on X Marks the Spot, something we'd never have expected from him a decade ago.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

That's easy to understand.

Martin was upset about his breakup (Ghost Stories), and announcing he's going to try to move on (AHFOD).

He's not he best of songwriters, but they're definitely a 1-2 punch on the same topic.

if it's that straight-forward, then CM has to think of something sophisticated.

And yet they are extraordinarily popular.

After years of just being a good-to-OK band, I think they've garnered enough disdain to balance out the radical overhype (agreed with iYup that Rush of Blood is nowhere near deserving of sacred cow status, though it is very good). I hope their next album is much, much, much better and they can embark on a new stage of their career. See if Eno or Godrich or Danger Mouse or someone with talent will take a chance on them and make something of lasting value. For fuck's sake.

Last edited:
They emit a pretty good sound that allows Martin's lyrics to be neglected/forgiven/accepted (depending upon how bad they are)... but in this case, the album sounds pretty crappy.

I still can't believe how terrible this album is. I thought Mylo Xyloto was disappointment, but had some good songs. I love "Charlie Brown" to pieces. Such a fun song. This album is not fun, it's just pathetic. It's like they were trying so hard to be fun and laid back that they ended up accomplishing neither.
We probably won't get another album for 3 years. Hopefully next time they are able to rebound.

I still can't believe how terrible this album is. I thought Mylo Xyloto was disappointment, but had some good songs. I love "Charlie Brown" to pieces. Such a fun song. This album is not fun, it's just pathetic. It's like they were trying so hard to be fun and laid back that they ended up accomplishing neither.
We probably won't get another album for 3 years. Hopefully next time they are able to rebound.

Don't some people saying that this album could be last album based on what CM said?

Last edited:
Yeah, the more I listen, the less I dislike some songs. They are certainly catchy (not often a sign of quality though).

It is having the opposite effect on me than Ghost Stories, which I immediately loved, then it waned very quickly. I didn't care for this initially, then thought it was ok, now I quite enjoy it. Bought the vinyl, had a nice immersive experience and I think I 'got' it.

Certainly the last three have not been up to the standards of the first 4 - but I think I like this one more than Ghost Stories and Mylo - it's like they combined the learnings of the previous 2 and came up with something a bit better.

Ghost Stories got a bit too much hate. Song for song it wasn't their best work by any stretch, but at least was a cohesive and complete work with an ambition in mind.

Ghost Stories got a bit too much hate. Song for song it wasn't their best work by any stretch, but at least was a cohesive and complete work with an ambition in mind.
I agree, I don't think it was that bad. Definitely better than their latest effort.

A sky full of stars sounds so out of place to me. Midnight is the highlight - fucking mental song, so different, so hypnotising

A sky full of stars sounds so out of place to me. Midnight is the highlight - fucking mental song, so different, so hypnotising

It was out of place. It was freaking produced by Avicii. It sounds like it could've been SO good... until it turned into Avicii ft. Chris Martin. I hate everything that dbag touches. He loves that whole "underwater" recording bullshit that surfaces for "the drop." It's his shitty gimmick that was never good to begin with and insulting that Coldplay would use that garbage to pander to people.

Agreed.

Seriously.

It was out of place. It was freaking produced by Avicii. It sounds like it could've been SO good... until it turned into Avicii ft. Chris Martin.

RIGHT???

Ghost Stories got a bit too much hate.

Definitely. The emotion was palpable, which makes a lot of the hackneyed sentiment forgivable and even moving at times. The way he lets go with the "I don't care, go on and tear me apart" line in Sky Full of Stars is nothing if not genuine.

Definitely. The emotion was palpable, which makes a lot of the hackneyed sentiment forgivable and even moving at times. The way he lets go with the "I don't care, go on and tear me apart" line in Sky Full of Stars is nothing if not genuine.
There was nothing wrong with songs like O and Oceans was a pretty great tune. Midnight was also one of the best things they've done in a long time. I really don't think it was a bad album. That's what makes this new one even more annoying, it's like Chris Martins thought "damn we got panned for that, we'll have to to back to being hip, happy and poppy". It feels like such a marketed ploy on the new album to sell records and get the back to the top at the expense of creativity and decent songs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom