Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-05-2015, 04:47 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,750
Local Time: 03:26 AM
I've had two inattentive listens, and it seems pretty messy. Birds, Everglow and Amazing Day in particular are a waste of time. Who can be stuffed with listening to those dreary creations?

Standouts so far, but I will need to digest this album some more, appear to be Adventure of a Lifetime, Hymn for a Weekend and X Marks the Spot. I didn't mind Fun too much either, but I need to give this a proper, thorough listen without various distractions and other sounds around me.

It feels like Mylo Xyloto Part II, and although I quite enjoyed that album, it's the one album that should never have a Part II.

Ghost Stories was an impressive and admirable endeavour, that sits comfortably in the catalogue. At this stage Head Full Of Dreams feels like a thorough letdown.


Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin
__________________

__________________
intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #17
The Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 198
Local Time: 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
I've had two inattentive listens, and it seems pretty messy. Birds, Everglow and Amazing Day in particular are a waste of time. Who can be stuffed with listening to those dreary creations?

Standouts so far, but I will need to digest this album some more, appear to be Adventure of a Lifetime, Hymn for a Weekend and X Marks the Spot. I didn't mind Fun too much either, but I need to give this a proper, thorough listen without various distractions and other sounds around me.

It feels like Mylo Xyloto Part II, and although I quite enjoyed that album, it's the one album that should never have a Part II.

Ghost Stories was an impressive and admirable endeavour, that sits comfortably in the catalogue. At this stage Head Full Of Dreams feels like a thorough letdown.


Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin
Hymn For The Weekend and X Marks The Spot are standouts?!?!?!?!?!
__________________

__________________
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 7,797
Local Time: 08:26 AM
Finally listened to it. I like Birds, Adventure of a Lifetime and Up & Up a lot. I stand by liking A Head Full of Dreams and Everglow live, but the studio versions are not nearly as good. I hate the production on most of the album, again it's just too much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app
__________________
trojanchick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Fez
Posts: 23,875
Local Time: 10:26 AM
Typical Coldplay though. Army of One may be my favorite song from their last 3 albums and then when it ends this awful attempt at hip hop starts.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
__________________
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
nielsgov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 8,352
Local Time: 05:26 PM
I'm actually liking Hymn For The Weekend. It's a fun song. You should all get used to it because it's probably going to be a huge hit.
__________________
nielsgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pushing my wheel of love.
Posts: 8,799
Local Time: 10:26 AM
The album is not bad at all; certainly nothing spectacular, but not nearly the train wreck some are claiming it to be IMO. It is definitely cheesy in places, but people seem to forget when expressing exasperation about the direction Coldplay is following that this is the same band that rose to fame on the back of such maudlin, cliched songs as Yellow, The Scientist, and Fix You. Given that track record, is it really all that surprising that Martin's ex-wife appears on one of the songs?
__________________
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Not Osaka
Posts: 5,181
Local Time: 11:26 AM
I don't have courage to actually buy one but as soon as it's released thru Spotify i'll take a listen.
__________________
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
bobsaget77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,223
Local Time: 04:26 PM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
The album is not bad at all; certainly nothing spectacular, but not nearly the train wreck some are claiming it to be IMO.
This is the lowest point in their career and an absolute train wreck imo. I cringed my way through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
this is the same band that rose to fame on the back of such maudlin, cliched songs as Yellow, The Scientist, and Fix You.




Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
bobsaget77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
prbiker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 12,207
Local Time: 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
The album is not bad at all; certainly nothing spectacular, but not nearly the train wreck some are claiming it to be IMO. It is definitely cheesy in places
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
such maudlin, cliched songs as Yellow, The Scientist, and Fix You.
Those three songs are infinitely better than anything on this album, though.
__________________
prbiker15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 11,059
Local Time: 12:26 PM
Why does nobody like Everglow? I think it's wonderful.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
bobsaget77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,223
Local Time: 04:26 PM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Why does nobody like Everglow? I think it's wonderful.

Because it's boring and unoriginal. Nice piano riff, though. Nothing really horrible about it, but just Coldplay paint by the numbers.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
bobsaget77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #27
The Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 198
Local Time: 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Why does nobody like Everglow? I think it's wonderful.
A nice piano riff that descends into complete boredom,nothing new or interesting and have heard it 100x before. Oh and the album is a cringefest, way beneath the the material that got them to the top. Amazing Day for example is stunning in its cheesyness and unoriginality I actually can't believe it got past any sort of quality control,its like a song at the end of a bad Christmas movie.
After listening to AHFOD for a few days solidly I've no desire ever to hear it again.
__________________
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 11,059
Local Time: 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Because it's boring and unoriginal. Nice piano riff, though. Nothing really horrible about it, but just Coldplay paint by the numbers.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's Coldplay's classic style. I'm happy that they made another song that's like their old stuff. Because this new stuff is garbage, Everglow is a redeeming listen. It's not boring to me.

Its lyrics are questionable, but CM's delivery and the overall sound do serve well to convey the emotion being sought.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Urbana, Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,783
Local Time: 04:26 PM
Call me crazy, I actually like the album. It's a bit messy, production wise, and I think he music can be a bit too busy. I think it kind of drops in quality in the 2nd half, but I'm still getting used to it.

Hymn for the Weekend is actually one of my favorites, which surprised me because I'm not a fan of Pop, R&B or hip-hop AT ALL. If a new band made this album I probably wouldn't give it a second listen. But since I've been a Coldplay fan since the first time I heard Yellow, 2000/2001-ish, I kind of just accept it as the next chapter in the Coldplay story and enjoy it in that context. I'm like that with most new albums by the bands I like.

It'd be the same as if U2 made an album like this, I'd enjoy. If Nikki Minaj made it, I'd never listen to it.

I'm mostly looking forward to their eventual North American tour. I've seen Coldplay 3 times, but not since 2006!
__________________
The_acrobat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
bobsaget77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,223
Local Time: 04:26 PM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
It's Coldplay's classic style. I'm happy that they made another song that's like their old stuff. Because this new stuff is garbage, Everglow is a redeeming listen. It's not boring to me.

Its lyrics are questionable, but CM's delivery and the overall sound do serve well to convey the emotion being sought.

It's the third best song on the album IMO. But that's because there's only 3 songs on the album that are even listenable to me. It just doesn't go anywhere like many of their other piano based songs like Clocks, Amsterdam, Viva La Vida, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
bobsaget77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com