Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 12-05-2015, 04:47 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:26 AM
I've had two inattentive listens, and it seems pretty messy. Birds, Everglow and Amazing Day in particular are a waste of time. Who can be stuffed with listening to those dreary creations?

Standouts so far, but I will need to digest this album some more, appear to be Adventure of a Lifetime, Hymn for a Weekend and X Marks the Spot. I didn't mind Fun too much either, but I need to give this a proper, thorough listen without various distractions and other sounds around me.

It feels like Mylo Xyloto Part II, and although I quite enjoyed that album, it's the one album that should never have a Part II.

Ghost Stories was an impressive and admirable endeavour, that sits comfortably in the catalogue. At this stage Head Full Of Dreams feels like a thorough letdown.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Old 12-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
I've had two inattentive listens, and it seems pretty messy. Birds, Everglow and Amazing Day in particular are a waste of time. Who can be stuffed with listening to those dreary creations?

Standouts so far, but I will need to digest this album some more, appear to be Adventure of a Lifetime, Hymn for a Weekend and X Marks the Spot. I didn't mind Fun too much either, but I need to give this a proper, thorough listen without various distractions and other sounds around me.

It feels like Mylo Xyloto Part II, and although I quite enjoyed that album, it's the one album that should never have a Part II.

Ghost Stories was an impressive and admirable endeavour, that sits comfortably in the catalogue. At this stage Head Full Of Dreams feels like a thorough letdown.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin
Hymn For The Weekend and X Marks The Spot are standouts?!?!?!?!?!

Old 12-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Finally listened to it. I like Birds, Adventure of a Lifetime and Up & Up a lot. I stand by liking A Head Full of Dreams and Everglow live, but the studio versions are not nearly as good. I hate the production on most of the album, again it's just too much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 12-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:26 AM
Typical Coldplay though. Army of One may be my favorite song from their last 3 albums and then when it ends this awful attempt at hip hop starts.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:26 PM
I'm actually liking Hymn For The Weekend. It's a fun song. You should all get used to it because it's probably going to be a huge hit.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:26 AM
The album is not bad at all; certainly nothing spectacular, but not nearly the train wreck some are claiming it to be IMO. It is definitely cheesy in places, but people seem to forget when expressing exasperation about the direction Coldplay is following that this is the same band that rose to fame on the back of such maudlin, cliched songs as Yellow, The Scientist, and Fix You. Given that track record, is it really all that surprising that Martin's ex-wife appears on one of the songs?
Old 12-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:26 AM
I don't have courage to actually buy one but as soon as it's released thru Spotify i'll take a listen.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
The album is not bad at all; certainly nothing spectacular, but not nearly the train wreck some are claiming it to be IMO.
This is the lowest point in their career and an absolute train wreck imo. I cringed my way through it.

Quote:
this is the same band that rose to fame on the back of such maudlin, cliched songs as Yellow, The Scientist, and Fix You.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 12-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Quote:
The album is not bad at all; certainly nothing spectacular, but not nearly the train wreck some are claiming it to be IMO. It is definitely cheesy in places
Agreed.

Quote:
such maudlin, cliched songs as Yellow, The Scientist, and Fix You.
Those three songs are infinitely better than anything on this album, though.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Why does nobody like Everglow? I think it's wonderful.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post

Because it's boring and unoriginal. Nice piano riff, though. Nothing really horrible about it, but just Coldplay paint by the numbers.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #27
The Fly

Quote:
A nice piano riff that descends into complete boredom,nothing new or interesting and have heard it 100x before. Oh and the album is a cringefest, way beneath the the material that got them to the top. Amazing Day for example is stunning in its cheesyness and unoriginality I actually can't believe it got past any sort of quality control,its like a song at the end of a bad Christmas movie.
After listening to AHFOD for a few days solidly I've no desire ever to hear it again.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Because it's boring and unoriginal. Nice piano riff, though. Nothing really horrible about it, but just Coldplay paint by the numbers.

It's Coldplay's classic style. I'm happy that they made another song that's like their old stuff. Because this new stuff is garbage, Everglow is a redeeming listen. It's not boring to me.

Its lyrics are questionable, but CM's delivery and the overall sound do serve well to convey the emotion being sought.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Call me crazy, I actually like the album. It's a bit messy, production wise, and I think he music can be a bit too busy. I think it kind of drops in quality in the 2nd half, but I'm still getting used to it.

Hymn for the Weekend is actually one of my favorites, which surprised me because I'm not a fan of Pop, R&B or hip-hop AT ALL. If a new band made this album I probably wouldn't give it a second listen. But since I've been a Coldplay fan since the first time I heard Yellow, 2000/2001-ish, I kind of just accept it as the next chapter in the Coldplay story and enjoy it in that context. I'm like that with most new albums by the bands I like.

It'd be the same as if U2 made an album like this, I'd enjoy. If Nikki Minaj made it, I'd never listen to it.

I'm mostly looking forward to their eventual North American tour. I've seen Coldplay 3 times, but not since 2006!
Old 12-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
It's Coldplay's classic style. I'm happy that they made another song that's like their old stuff. Because this new stuff is garbage, Everglow is a redeeming listen. It's not boring to me.

Its lyrics are questionable, but CM's delivery and the overall sound do serve well to convey the emotion being sought.

It's the third best song on the album IMO. But that's because there's only 3 songs on the album that are even listenable to me. It just doesn't go anywhere like many of their other piano based songs like Clocks, Amsterdam, Viva La Vida, etc.