Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 12-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #256
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Fix You was the first bad Coldplay song. The lyrics are corny as fuck and that slow motion, overly cinematic guitar solo is pure cheese. The whole thing sounds like it was written for a running in the rain montage at the end of a teen romance flick.
The thing that really pushed me over the edge with Fix You was from a movie - a documentary about senior citizens who sing in an a-capella group. And I feel like a dick saying this, because the movie was well-intentioned and moving at times, but at the end, after one of them has died, the group sings Fix You at their next concert. In that moment, when everything is gone but the lyrics, you realize just how astonishingly juvenile and ham-fisted it is, as well as how lacking the sentiment is even when applied to the very kind of situation it was presumably meant for. Just an atrocious song in every sense.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #257
The Fly

Local Time: 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
The thing that really pushed me over the edge with Fix You was from a movie - a documentary about senior citizens who sing in an a-capella group. And I feel like a dick saying this, because the movie was well-intentioned and moving at times, but at the end, after one of them has died, the group sings Fix You at their next concert. In that moment, when everything is gone but the lyrics, you realize just how astonishingly juvenile and ham-fisted it is, as well as how lacking the sentiment is even when applied to the very kind of situation it was presumably meant for. Just an atrocious song in every sense.
Fix You is still much, much better than Amazing Day. As a song you can't get much more generic,bland, corny and really awful.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #258
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I just realized I haven't really listened to this album in 2 weeks, and I don't really care. It means nothing to me at all. It has had ZERO impact on me.

I gave it an honest chance. I'm a big fan of pretty much everything Coldplay has done up to this point. One of my favorite bands. This album just made no impression on me at all.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #259
New Yorker

Quote:
Fix You was the first bad Coldplay song. The lyrics are corny as fuck and that slow motion, overly cinematic guitar solo is pure cheese. The whole thing sounds like it was written for a running in the rain montage at the end of a teen romance flick.

But I actually think Swallowed in the Sea, from that very album, is worse. Even for Chris Martin, these lyrics are atrocious:

You cut me down a tree
And brought it back to me
And that's what made me see
Where I was going wrong
You put me on a shelf
And kept me for yourself
I can only blame myself
You can only blame me

And I could write a song
A hundred miles long
Well, that's where I belong
And you belong with me

I had no idea Gwyneth Paltrow moonlighted as a lumberjack. Or that music could be physically measured. Fascinating.
Some of the lyrics could be better, but I think Swallowed in the Sea's pretty solid for the most part.

My brother always said he could never get into Fix You after reading an interview with Martin saying that he had his daughter in mind when he wrote it. After that, he more or less pictured a baby throwing a tantrum during the "tears stream down your face" part rather than a person crying over the death of a loved one (or something similar).
Old 12-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #260
A childless dog

Local Time: 04:13 AM
While we're on the subject, is The Scientist about the death of a loved one or not?

I've always taken it to be a fairly straightforward apology song, but the video says otherwise. There's quite obviously a death involved. But I've read that the video concept was dreamed up independent of the song, so maybe there's no direct connection there.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #261
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:13 AM
Someone on tinder tried to tell me Coldplay was a punk band.

I unmatched them.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #262
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Someone on tinder tried to tell me Coldplay was a punk band.

I unmatched them.
Wow!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #263
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I just realized I haven't really listened to this album in 2 weeks, and I don't really care. It means nothing to me at all. It has had ZERO impact on me.

I gave it an honest chance. I'm a big fan of pretty much everything Coldplay has done up to this point. One of my favorite bands. This album just made no impression on me at all.

I hated the album for the first 3-4 listens. But I've come around a little bit.
Love the opener. Up there with some of their finest album openers. It's going to be awesome live. Last minute and a half are by far the best moments on the album.
"Adventure", "Army of One", "Birds" and "Everglow"are tolerable. Not standouts, but not egregiously terrible.
"Up&Up" has some really stupid lyrics, but I've come around to actually enjoying the song.
Now....
"Hymn for the Weekend" is an absolute disgraceful atrocity. They should be embarrassed that they wrote "X Marks The Spot". What a god awful song. "Fun" is terrible. "Amazing Day" is painfully sappy. "Kaleidoscope" is a pointless waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 12-31-2015, 01:15 AM   #264
The Fly

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Love the opener. Up there with some of their finest album openers. It's going to be awesome live. Last minute and a half are by far the best moments on the album.
"Adventure", "Army of One", "Birds" and "Everglow"are tolerable. Not standouts, but not egregiously terrible.
"Up&Up" has some really stupid lyrics, but I've come around to actually enjoying the song.
Now....
"Hymn for the Weekend" is an absolute disgraceful atrocity. They should be embarrassed that they wrote "X Marks The Spot". What a god awful song. "Fun" is terrible. "Amazing Day" is painfully sappy. "Kaleidoscope" is a pointless waste of time.

Agreed for the most part. I'd give more praise to AOAL, Up&Up and Birds, while Army of One is ok, it would be one of the worst songs on any of their other albums. Everglow is okay but oh-so-boring.

The rest is junk. Pure junk. Such a travesty.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #265
New Yorker

Quote:
While we're on the subject, is The Scientist about the death of a loved one or not?

I've always taken it to be a fairly straightforward apology song, but the video says otherwise. There's quite obviously a death involved. But I've read that the video concept was dreamed up independent of the song, so maybe there's no direct connection there.
I always took it as being more about a relationship of some sort having ended and then looking back on it with a tinge of regret. But the death aspect could apply as well... wishing you had the chance to tell someone something either alive or dead, etc.

Quote:
These are more or less the songs I still find myself listening to as well. Maybe not on the heights of their previous material for the most part (or even the last two albums), but still pretty listenable. Birds has grown on me quite a bit too...
Old 12-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #266
The Fly

Quote:
Now....

I find it such a lazy album, lazy songwriting and lazy lyrics . Yes, there's 3 or 4 (at most) good songs but the rest are so tired and uninspired. It's really an album I wouldnt care if I never heard again and I certainly wouldnt go out of my way to listen to it.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #267
45:33

Local Time: 11:13 PM
Haven't listened to it since my last day of work and can't imagine I'll listen to it again.

I love Fix You. To me it's a perfect example of what I've been saying about Coldplay for years - a completely over-the-top sappy, saccharine song but Coldplay are *just* genuine enough to pull it off. If a slightly lesser band released that I'd hate it but, for many years, at least in my eyes, Coldplay continuously pulled off those songs.

I mean it wouldn't rate in my top 10 or whatever, and it feels like you're being smashed over the head with a hammer such is its lack of subtlety, but the beauty of Coldplay to me is that they pulled these songs off well and always have, at least until recently.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #268
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Haven't listened to it since my last day of work and can't imagine I'll listen to it again.

I love Fix You. To me it's a perfect example of what I've been saying about Coldplay for years - a completely over-the-top sappy, saccharine song but Coldplay are *just* genuine enough to pull it off. If a slightly lesser band released that I'd hate it but, for many years, at least in my eyes, Coldplay continuously pulled off those songs.

I mean it wouldn't rate in my top 10 or whatever, and it feels like you're being smashed over the head with a hammer such is its lack of subtlety, but the beauty of Coldplay to me is that they pulled these songs off well and always have, at least until recently.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #269
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:13 AM
Didn't see this coming: a music video for Birds.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #270
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

This is what happens when your album sales decline, your label sends out an intern with their iPhone to make a video.