Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just Dance is one of the most straightforward, least shocking dance pop songs of the last 10 years. It was also an enormous hit. The image/theatricality was important to establishing her as a unique force in music, but she could have racked up hits without the meat dresses and wacky videos. It's not like the skill for great hooks or awesome vocal presence would have disappeared.

Red Wine!!! GaGa!

New pic of Coldplays stage set up for their forthcoming tour....

abb8e799ff6446b7538d2184f7da3d99.jpg

She did not hit #1 until she had videos showing a lot of skin and sex appeal as well as explicit lyrics. I'm talking about national and international fame, not regional fame. Controversy, shock treatment helps to sell the product, or at least gain exposure in order to sell the product. A non-sexual Gaga in all things would have been a different story.

Men have explicit lyrics in their songs all the time :shrug:. Rock and roll is chock full of songs with sexual innuendo, if not outright making it clear what they're singing about. Gaga and Beyonce aren't really doing anything different in that regard. Same with the shock value aspect.

Also, men have had plenty of music videos that feature women walking around all scantily-clad. I don't know about Gaga's career, but at least in Beyonce's case, given how much control she seems to have over her career, how she looks in her videos is her decision. To say nothing of the fact that a woman showing skin isn't a bad thing in and of itself, either.

I'll agree that the media tends to be awfully skewed in that women show more skin than men do, and in some quarters that's unfortunately an implication that all a woman is good for is to look sexy and nothing else. But I don't think that's the case with Beyonce, or Gaga, for that matter. And artists can't really make people get them to number one on the charts (outside of heavy duty promotion, but even then, that's still not a guarantee), there's all sorts of factors as to why songs hit it big. So the fact that people might buy a female artist's music simply because they look sexy is on them, not the artist in question.

Though I also think it's rather simplistic to say that that's the only reason for why a female artist would be popular. Gaga also has a strong, commanding presences and some catchy as hell songs (at least, in some people's eyes-I like some of her songs, personally). I'd say that's played a pretty big role in the success as well. Same, of course, with Beyonce.

Last edited:
It truly is. Just like the Janet Jackson thing from a decade or so ago.

I still love the people who are all, "The Super Bowl is a family event!" When the hell did people start thinking that was even remotely true?

And then I've seen people griping about having an "agenda shoved down our throats", or being "forced" to watch her performance. I didn't realize so many people's remote controls were broken that night, or that they were strapped down into their couches or chairs 'Clockwork Orange'-style during her performance.

Last edited:
She's

1. Black
2. Not clothed from head to toe
3. In possession of a very faint political message

There was bound to be a stupid firestorm.

It truly is. Just like the Janet Jackson thing from a decade or so ago.

I still love the people who are all, "The Super Bowl is a family event!" When the hell did people start thinking that was even remotely true?

And then I've seen people griping about having an "agenda shoved down our throats", or being "forced" to watch her performance. I didn't realize so many people's remote controls were broken that night, or that they were strapped down into their couches or chairs 'Clockwork Orange'-style during her performance.

"Why can't we just have four white men performing a safe rock song, the way it used to be?

"WHAT? No I'm not RACIST! Or SEXIST"

:rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1455065999.491520.jpg

The men never use sexual imagery.

Oh wait...

Well at least the whites ones don't. The only way to keep it safe; white males only from now on.

My friends from Dubai tell me that Nickleback is the biggest stereotype of what white Americans listen to.

X. Not a typical shape. Must mean Malcolm X.

Wait, who the hell calls Beyoncé a Texan superstar? I don't even know if Beyoncé knows she's from Texas anymore.

He could've called her a Brunswick superstar for extra anti-green/lefty points

Back
Top Bottom