Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 12-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #151
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

I wasn't here when MX came out. What's Interference's general reception to it?
I love "MX/Hurts Like Heaven" and "Charlie Brown", and the album version of "Paradise" (the single/radio version is atrocious). Everything else is pretty meh to me. "Waterfall" goes nowhere and never really ascends like many of their great anthems. And some of the songs are just really uninteresting.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 12-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #152
A childless dog

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Didn't get a positive reception then and still doesn't really get a lot of love now, just more than AHFOD.

The last Coldplay album to get a warm reception here was Viva La Vida. Considering that was their last really good album...well...I'm not exactly sure that Interference is full of haters like some are claiming.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #153
The Fly

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
I wasn't here when MX came out. What's Interference's general reception to it?
I love "MX/Hurts Like Heaven" and "Charlie Brown", and the album version of "Paradise" (the single/radio version is atrocious). Everything else is pretty meh to me. "Waterfall" goes nowhere and never really ascends like many of their great anthems. And some of the songs are just really uninteresting.

I'm unaware of the Paradise single version - what is so bad about it? Listened to the album track last night, I think it is a truly great pop song.

I love most of MX, and I think it is aided by the structure - the interludes and lighter tracks (U.F.O.) give it this narrative feel, even if Martin's lyrics don't take things there. As a mood and feeling piece, I think it delivers on the hopeful optimism nearly as well as Rush of Blood does melancholy.

For a band that generally does killer openers and closers to albums, I think Up With the Birds is just splendid.

In fact, a greatest hits made only of openers and closers from their catalogue would be a terrific listen indeed.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:24 AM   #154
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Didn't get a positive reception then and still doesn't really get a lot of love now, just more than AHFOD.

The last Coldplay album to get a warm reception here was Viva La Vida. Considering that was their last really good album...well...I'm not exactly sure that Interference is full of haters like some are claiming.

I mean I definitely dished out some hate for mylo xyloto's roller coaster behavior. The idea that it offered so many "hits" but failed to offer real content in between those hits sort of pissed me off. I saw it as a collection of singles, peppered by a bunch of irrelevant songs and segues for the singles. It seriously lacked cohesiveness, but the singles *were* excellent. But it sort it maintained cheap, typical Martin lyrical value.

The last two coldplay albums have been opposite. The general lyrical value has missed the mark on the supplied cliches, but more importantly also failed to supply a chain of fun sounds. Well, at least... LESS fun sounds.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:10 AM   #155
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumpyjsk View Post
I'm unaware of the Paradise single version - what is so bad about it? Listened to the album track last night, I think it is a truly great pop song.

The version they play at my work cuts out the entire intro and kicks right off with "when she was just a girl..."
Completely cut out the best part of the song imo.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #156
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:43 AM
The music has gotten progressively worse since viva la vida, as they've clearly tried to cling on to whatever they think is hip with the kids

But the lyrics are the same vapid bullshit since Parachutes. There's been no drop off there, because they've never been good.

But the spies hide out in every corner
But you can’t touch them no
Cos they’re all spies

Really?
Old 12-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #157
A childless dog

Local Time: 05:43 AM
1) Don't defend new bad lyrics by pointing to old bad lyrics.

2) There's nothing easier than combing through a set of lyrics and pointing out shit that sucks about them on paper.

2) There's something to said for vocal delivery in saving lyrics that are weak on paper. "We all live in a beautiful world/yeah we do, yeah we do?" The fuck is that lame-ass bullshit? "For you I'd bleed myself dry?" WEAK. EMO. But in context, I've never had a problem with either. Yellow has a gentle, plain-spoken delivery that fits the sentiment perfectly.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #158
Refugee

Local Time: 09:43 AM
I went back and listened to MX and Ghost Stories last night, which made me realize how much I dislike this album outside of a handful of songs. (3 favorites are title track, Birds, and Up&Up)

Those albums were at least cohesive, worked together as a package deal, and overall felt "tighter" than this one. I found myself really getting into Ghost Stories, there are some great songs on that album and I think the album as a whole has a great tone and color. Made me disappointed in the newest release.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

The sudden ending to Birds is annoying. Decent song otherwise.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
The music has gotten progressively worse since viva la vida, as they've clearly tried to cling on to whatever they think is hip with the kids
Im surprised that Coldplay didn't collaborate with Sufjan Stevens if they wan to be "hip with kids today." or am I mistaken?
Old 12-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
2) There's something to said for vocal delivery in saving lyrics that are weak on paper. "We all live in a beautiful world/yeah we do, yeah we do?" The fuck is that lame-ass bullshit? "For you I'd bleed myself dry?" WEAK. EMO. But in context, I've never had a problem with either. Yellow has a gentle, plain-spoken delivery that fits the sentiment perfectly.
Yeah, you don't listen to Coldplay for the lyrics. I have that same relationship with Elton John, but I love him dearly despite the excruciatingly bad lyrics.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
Im surprised that Coldplay didn't collaborate with Sufjan Stevens if they wan to be "hip with kids today." or am I mistaken?
Yes, you are mistaken. Sufjan is very much a cult artist. A brilliant one, but a cult artist nonetheless.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Yeah, you don't listen to Coldplay for the lyrics. I have that same relationship with Elton John, but I love him dearly despite the excruciatingly bad lyrics.
I barely listen to songs for lyrics. if it's sonically inventive, then I don't give a shit for words. I mean, come on, Beatles wrote some of the worst nonsense and still considered as God in popular music.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #164
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I barely listen to songs for lyrics. if it's sonically inventive, then I don't give a shit for words. I mean, come on, Beatles wrote some of the worst nonsense and still considered as God in popular music.
Words mostly don't matter but when you're getting into the territory Coldplay are venturing into in their latest effort "drunk and high" and "you make my heart go boo boo boo boom" it's difficult not to hear them and cringe. They also seem to be over using woooohooos on the album. It sounds lazy and is poor songwriting.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:57 AM   #165
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

But the lyrics are the same vapid bullshit since Parachutes. There's been no drop off there, because they've never been good.

But the spies hide out in every corner
But you can’t touch them no
Cos they’re all spies

Really?

That is one thing I've admired about them - that they can make music that is generally good enough to overcome those atrocious lyrics