Coldplay - Everyday Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's not really an excuse for lyrics being shit though. Otherwise, all lyricists could start their career writing absolute garbage, establishing such low standards that anything they write would be deemed relatively decent.

For what it's worth, I didn't think this album's lyrics were bad, just OK. Which for Chris Martin is a nice surprise.

Coldplay lyrics are terrible, but Martin usually sells them pretty well IMO. Like Elton John in that regard.

The particular criticism at hand seemed to be focused on some lazy writing but that individual song is I think the exception. And even it is consistently interchanging terrible to good to terrible.

That's not really an excuse for lyrics being shit though. Otherwise, all lyricists could start their career writing absolute garbage, establishing such low standards that anything they write would be deemed relatively decent.

This implies Chris Martin has some sort of higher standard of lyricism that he is lazily forgoing. He's been a terrible lyricist for a long time; he ran out of things to say and ways to talk about love and loss and catharsis many years ago. But I agree with iyup, up until the last album I was of the view that they generally made songs better than the sum of their parts. This album's collection of lyrics is fine for him, as you say, the ratio of embarrassing to fine lyrics is lower than it has been in some time.

he ran out of things to say and ways to talk about love and loss and catharsis many years ago. But I agree with iyup, up until the last album I was of the view that they generally made songs better than the sum of their parts. This album's collection of lyrics is fine for him, as you say, the ratio of embarrassing to fine lyrics is lower than it has been in some time.

you can also apply this nearly word-for-word to bono for at least the last decade or so too.

What rating system do you guys use for lyrics? I can’t find any means to measure their quality online.

maybe orgororpora or whatever the alt that he's lurking with these days can help you out, he has experience taking abstract complex ideas and converting them into handy 1-5 scales.

Rating Scale For Lyrics

1. I have a loaded gun in my mouth
2. Quietly throwing up in mouth a little bit
3. Neutral
4. Salivating
5. Twitching and salivating

What rating system do you guys use for lyrics? I can’t find any means to measure their quality online.

Jokes aside, I just try to see:

(1) how much I cringe
(2) how annoying it sounds
(3) how well an idea can be delivered
(4) how cliche the idea is delivered
(5) how well it supports other ideas on the album
(6) how much I relate to the idea

Usually loosely in that order. All subjective.

this scale is misguided and a little naive.

used as a photo in time magazine

ok my turn to be serious(ish). I don't think there is any possible scale. A lot of it comes down to:

What is the artist trying to do? Lyrics, it should go without saying, do not always play the same role within the overall work. Sometimes it's not really about the lyrics, although even then they kind of matter a little bit. Most of the shite Chris Martin comes out with would be a dealbreaker for me, if only that it lacks any discernible personality or individual vision. That 'something' that says, 'oh this is actually somebody, this isn't just generic pablum, this is actually somebody's take on the world'.

Are they doing that something well?

Does the artist even know what they are trying to do?

in other news... the rest of the new album is questionnable at best.

Cry Cry Cry anyone? Good God awful.

Trouble in Town -with the Matt Damon-infused nasty white cop in Boston scene - are you fucking kidding me?

Gospel choirs on BrokEn ( I think?).... holy shit is this a bizarre Rattle & Hum reprise / tribute / copy/paste?

A Rush Of Blood - A+
Viva La Vida - A
Mylo Xyloto - B
Parachutes - B-
Ghost Stories - B-
X&Y - C
An Ass Full of Shit - E

Everyday Life - probably sitting at a B I’d say. Although the First disc is awfully superior to the Second disc.

Churches and Arabesque the two standouts for me. And I do really enjoy When I Need a Friend, it’s lovely.

57 thousand posts from a 29 year old know-nothing malcontent who comes on here 24-7-365 and spends his time calling people he doesn't like idiots.... now that is truly sad. maybe you need to get a job...?

are you still lyao?

57 thousand posts from a 29 year old know-nothing malcontent who comes on here 24-7-365 and spends his time calling people he doesn't like idiots.... now that is truly sad. maybe you need to get a job...?

are you still lyao?

keep going mate, this is giving me life. I'm the happiest I've ever been. I can see through you. The fact you need to belittle me to give yourself some sort of satisfaction demonstrates that you might not be all that happy in life. so yes, I'm laughing my arse off still. not sure who you got so offended by original post, I'd have said the same thing about anyone.

This proves the theory I’ve had for quite a while that Coldplay brings the worst out of people.

#listentomorebiffyclyroanddancegavindance

Mocking someone's employment status is several steps over the line IMO.

source.gif

are you still lyao?

Bullying someone on an Internet forum is so 2006.

And pray tell, what has Iggy Fizzy accomplished in life that he look down on people from such a level?

are you still lyao?

Exhibit A in how to take things too far, iggy.

If you’re going to critique someone for calling other people names, perhaps don’t convey that criticism through your own harsh, over-the-top string of invectives.

Diemen - perhaps I did take it too far but when a specific individual decides to continuously post 'you're a fucking idiot' or something equivalent every time I put up a comment then you know what? I am going to punch back.

And your failure to call out the individual who started this nonsense tells me all I need to know at this point...

Bullying someone on an Internet forum is so 2006.

And pray tell, what has Iggy Fizzy accomplished in life that he look down on people from such a level?

if I posted 'you're a fucking idiot' as a reply here, would that be cool? Pray tell...

I continue to be amazed and amused by how fragile people here are.... you can dish it out but when it comes back at you, oh no....!

And your failure to call out the individual who started this nonsense tells me all I need to know at this point...

[emoji57]

Guy calls you an idiot, you go about 5 times as far in response. Notice how I don’t call out minor sniping between people (like calling someone an idiot once or twice) because people keep it minor and don’t escalate needlessly. You didn’t do that.

Drop it and move on. Put him on your ignore list if he triggers you so much.

Last edited:
That’s awesome that it’s ok to call people idiots here now. That might come in handy down the road! [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom