Coldplay - Everyday Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4 songs in and I’m hoping it gets better from here. I guess I respect that it’s different.

I'm glad it wasn't like their previous album which took them way too far into the Poppy spectrum.

But maybe this one will be a grower cause it really didn't hit me with much.

They should bring back Eno

Its probably their best since Viva La Vida? Which is not a very high bar to be honest. I enjoyed most of Ghost Stories but haven't listened to it recently to compare.

I like that there is more piano on this one, something I have felt they have been shifting away from on their newer albums.

This album is pretty good. Not perfect but much their best since VLV. 8/10.

Its probably their best since Viva La Vida? Which is not a very high bar to be honest. I enjoyed most of Ghost Stories but haven't listened to it recently to compare.

I like that there is more piano on this one, something I have felt they have been shifting away from on their newer albums.

Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends is an incredible achievement that they will probably never surpass in my opinion. One of the best albums ever made by a mainstream pop act in the last 20 years. An absolutely gorgeous, eclectic album that just gets better as the years go by.

This new one of theirs is by far their best since that album and a refreshing palette cleanser after the monumental disaster/horror show of an album that was A Head Full Of Dreams. It's a bit scattergun but there's a lot of heart here. And it's a long time since Coldplay had heart so it's nice they rediscovered it before the decade was out.

All in all a lovely album. Good job Coldplay!

Last edited:
Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends is an incredible achievement that they will probably never surpass in my opinion. One of the best albums ever made by a mainstream pop act in the last 20 years. An absolutely gorgeous, eclectic album that just gets better as the years go by.

This new one of theirs is by far their best since that album and a refreshing palette cleanser after the monumental disaster/horror show of an album that was A Head Full Of Dreams. It's a bit scattergun but there's a lot of heart here. And it's a long time since Coldplay had heart so it's nice they rediscovered it before the decade was out.

All in all a lovely album. Good job Coldplay!

AHFOD had plenty of heart. Chris’s heart went a boom boo-boom boom. [/SARCASM]

:lol:

Need to spend more time with this album. There are some good songs and surprisingly some that I’m not into at all.

I was surprised that I let the entire soul play through, rather than turning it off in disgust like the last couple.

I still have to take a deeper dive, but it seems completely devoid of any of the "ehrmammagad dis is us wit reeeannaer cuz weeer a poop bund nhew" shit that took over everything post viva la vida.

Even the poppy stuff is better.

There’s a lot of disdain for Mylo Xyloto here. I’d say it’s the best since then, but still deciding on that.

It definitely feels a lot less labored than anything they've done in the last decade. Pretty decent album overall.

Mylo Xyloto is my second favorite Coldplay album. This would probably come in around lower middle for me currently. Who knows? Maybe it’ll grow on me. But so far the singles that were released ahead of the album are my favorites.

1. Viva La Vita
2. Mylo Xyloto
3. A Rush Of Blood To The Head
4. Ghost Stories
5. Everyday Life
6. X&Y
7. Parachutes
8. A Head Full Of Dreams

Parachutes
Viva La Vida
Rush of Blood
Everyday Life
X&Y
Mylo Xyloto
Ghost Stories
My own shit out of my ass
Head Full of Dreams

I never thought modern Coldplay could make my fourth favourite album of theirs, so I’m stoked.

Mylo Xyloto is my second favorite Coldplay album. This would probably come in around lower middle for me currently. Who knows? Maybe it’ll grow on me. But so far the singles that were released ahead of the album are my favorites.

1. Viva La Vita
2. Mylo Xyloto
3. A Rush Of Blood To The Head
4. Ghost Stories
5. Everyday Life
6. X&Y
7. Parachutes
8. A Head Full Of Dreams

While we are doing it... I’m not far off there.

1. Viva la Vida
2. Mylo Xyloto
3. A Rush of Blood to the Head
4/5. Every Day Life/X&Y
6. Ghost Stories
7. Parachutes
MMIX. A Head Full of Dreams

We shall see where Everyday Life ends up in the next year or so, but as of today:

01 - Viva La Vida
02 - A Rush of Blood to the Head
03 - X & Y
04 - Ghost Stories
05 - Mylo Xyloto
06 - Parachutes
07 - A Head Full of Dreams
08 - Everyday Life

1 - A Rush of Blood to the Head
2 - Viva la Vida
3 - Parachutes
4 - X&Y
5 - Ghost Stories
6 - Everyday Life
7 - Mylo Xyloto
8 - A Head Full of Dreams

1 - A Rush of Blood to the Head
2 - Viva la Vida
3 - Parachutes
4 - X&Y
5 - Ghost Stories
6 - Everyday Life
7 - Mylo Xyloto
8 - A Head Full of Dreams

I think I would have this same ranking but maybe swap 7 and 8. I don’t consider A Head Full Of Dreams to be quite as atrocious as everyone else does.

Parachutes
Viva La Vida
Rush of Blood
Everyday Life
X&Y
Mylo Xyloto
Ghost Stories
My own shit out of my ass
Head Full of Dreams

I'm glad someone else has Parachutes at the top. For me that one is far and away their best album. The only one that really hangs together stylistically from front to back.

Yep, agree. To me it sounds like a group of humble musicians just making the best music they can in a small room, no pretentiousness, no grand ambition, just a really good album. I think LM might also have it as his favourite.

i have honestly only listened to bits and pieces past the viva la vida period and only kinda lurk in this thread but i'm honestly shocked that some of you rate parachutes so low.

Same as LN7. The second half, for
me, is insanely difficult to get through. And Trouble is maybe my least favorite of their singles. But I also, unashamedly, love sugary pop music (hence my loving of Mylo Xyloto, and since we’re on a U2 forum, Crazy Tonight, Window In The Skies, and California would be on my best of 2000-2020).

Trouble and High Speed are better than almost anything from their three albums between VLV and the new one. That's not saying a lot, but Trouble is definitely in my top 10. Wonderful song.

Count me among those who rank Parachutes as their best work. They had finesse back then. After Rush of Blood they become a dumb, universal-to-a-fault arena rock band who landed Brian Eno for an album and then immediately fell off a cliff after he left. I'm sure the new one is an improvement because it doesn't get much worse than Mylo Xyloto and A Head Full of Dreams.

Last edited:
Alright, my feelings on the new album are pretty straightforward: it's one of those really well crafted late career albums by a veteran artist that lacks a truly great song to measure up to their best work, but the whole album is solid and produced well. It's a bit impressionistic in its flow and doesn't feel especially fussy.

The problem is that literally none of the songs would come close to my top 10 by the band. The best tracks only slightly raise a pulse. Like Arabesque is really good, but is it on the same level as Yellow, Clocks, Strawberry Swing? Hell no. They're all super nice though and the experience of it is way ahead of anything they've released since Viva La Vida, which is also quite a bit better than this.

1. Parachutes (A-)
2. Viva La Vida (B+)
3. A Rush of Blood to the Head (B+)
4. Everyday Life (B)
5. Ghost Stories (C+)
6. X&Y (C+)
7. A Head Full of Dreams (C)
8. Mylo Xyloto (C-)

I agree that it lacks a top song, though I would caution drawing a conclusion about whether or not anything stands up to a full top 10 so early. Personally, I feel like the more I listen, the more a few of these are growing on me.

Woo woo
Woo woo oo oo oo
Indigo up in heaven today
Woo woo
Woo woo oo oo oo
With bombs going
Boom baboomboom
She say

I want to know
When I can go
Back and get drunk with my friends

the song is catchy but how can people take these shite lyrics seriously? can CM do no better then this with a good melody FFS?!?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom