Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall - Keep Sobbing.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe it's just me. The only thing that jumped out at me about the studio take is that it didn't suck ass like Every Teardrop.

The last one's way too Flaming Lips, Christmas On Mars [ah!]/Soft Bulletin/Yoshimi with a bit of John Barry without the brilliant and weird for me, it's good, but their getting into repeating themselves, hooks, vocals etal already on what.. album 5?

Where were U2 on album 5? yeah The Joshua Tree, that's where Cwissy, so stop eating Gwinnie's Ass-paragus burgers mate and rock the flock out...

Love Moving To Mars. Love Major Minus a lot more. And Every Teardrop just sucks IMO. I kind of cringe at that line "I got my records on". :crack: It's too poppy for my tastes. I don't know about the album. May go out and get it but it better not have stuff like Every Teardrop on it. Really lost interest in Coldplay after Viva La Vida came out. I didn't like much of that album.

It's slightly entertaining listening to the sad sound of Brian Eno trying to draw some life out of a band with no creative core left...with his wacky acoustic guitar processing and ethnic drum sample library.

Charlie Brown is brilliant. I watched the Glastonbury performance and fell in love with the song. More of this, and not Teardrop = Waterfall please..

It's slightly entertaining listening to the sad sound of Brian Eno trying to draw some life out of a band with no creative core left...with his wacky acoustic guitar processing and ethnic drum sample library.

To each their own, I'm sure there are those who would blame him more for this crap than I would anyone in Coldplay. It's not like he has some stellar track record over the last decade or so. He''s responsible for far more questionable work than they are as of late. :shrug:

u2popmofo said:
To each their own, I'm sure there are those who would blame him more for this crap than I would anyone in Coldplay. It's not like he has some stellar track record over the last decade or so. He''s responsible for far more questionable work than they are as of late. :shrug:

What? I mean, what has Eno even done over the past decade to deserve a loss in credibility? He produced the great songs on No Line, got a massive hit with the Viva La Vida record, released a decent solo record and two very solid collaborative albums (Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, Small Craft On A Milk Sea). Unless, of course, you're referring to the Dido and Natalie Imbruglia albums. Don't anything about those, but I do know that X&Y exists.

In short: all artists release crap once in a while. Why are we having this discussion?

...it's also interesting to hear a band, what 5 albums in, repeating themselves and their trademark hooks already and up against the wall. I remember growing up in the 80s and the bands I liked, album five was where you either hit it and the planets aligned for you or you split up.. you certainly didn't rehash album's three and four....

....that's what album 10's for...

People are of course allowed to be critical of/dislike Coldplay. I don't agree but that's their prerogative. What I don't like, and this isn't necessarily an attack on the most recent posts, is lazy criticism. And the "U2-lite" criticisms shit me the most.

...it's also interesting to hear a band, what 5 albums in, repeating themselves and their trademark hooks already and up against the wall. I remember growing up in the 80s and the bands I liked, album five was where you either hit it and the planets aligned for you or you split up.. you certainly didn't rehash album's three and four....

I wouldn't fault Eno...the guy has to put bread on the table, or whatever. I just keep hearing these fun, creative tracks he produces with Martin warbling really far down in the background.

Eno's trying to put lipstick on a pig.

I agree. I really liked Coldplay the first few years, but I just feel like they rehash the same material on their albums, and there isn't anything exciting about their music anymore. They appear to be moving in the wrong direction. Viva La Vida was boring and stagnant, and I am not impressed with their latest music. I hate that b/c I used to love Coldplay...

I like playing devil's advocate to the huge "U2 fans who are intimidated by Coldplay's success" contingent on this forum. :wink:

You know, this is a good point. What I perceive to be the three most contentious bands on these forums all compete with some distinction U2 once had or is currently trying to preserve.

1. Oasis: competed for popularity and sales in the 90s.
2. Radiohead: competes (and surpasses) in terms of innovation and "relevance."
3. Coldplay: competes in terms of stadium-grandstanding and anthemic reach.

Also, I have to agree with LM that Viva is a significantly different album from X&Y.

^This.

I have a good chuckle at what seems, to me, as absolute fear from some on this site that a band might become bigger and more relevant than U2.

Don't like their music? That's cool. But dumping on them repeatedly serves no purpose whatsoever, in my opinion.

:angry:

I hope you know I did that on purpose. I wouldn't ever want you to think that I could genuinely make that mistake.

They played Everything's Not Lost and Shiver at Glasto! Hopefully this means by the time they get here they'll be playing Don't Panic, Spies, Trouble, High Speed...

I struggle to find anything at all "boring" or "rehash" about songs like Lost, 42, Chinese Sleep Chant, Violet Hill Strawberry Swing and Death and All His Friends.

Back
Top Bottom