Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking more and more about that comma line and the more I continue to think about it...

While superficially it's very corny sounding, the meaning is actually quite nice.

:wink: That "coulda been a princesssss" line is ridiculously catchy.

Agreed. I find myself singing that more than any other part of this album. I only wish that part was longer, or at least repeated a second time in the song.

Agreed. I find myself singing that more than any other part of this album. I only wish that part was longer, or at least repeated a second time in the song.

Yep... it's the best hook in that track. She sings it 2x but yes, it's back-to-back, and then the song veers off into the big "whoah oh oh" part.

Apparently this album has opened at #1 in all 35 iTunes stores worldwide. Pretty mega, as expected... rebellion songs for rebellious times.

Well, this album HAS grown on me in the past week. I'm really enjoying some of the songs that I wasn't really into originally, namely Hurts Like Heaven and Up With The Birds. Even Teardrops are the same as Waterfalls is immensely more enjoyable in the context of the album, particularly flowing from Us Against the World and MMIX.

The guitar towards the end of Major Minus is blissful, reminds me of a U2 b-side from the 1980's, which is a tremendous thing.

After not loving Up With the Birds at all, I now think it is superb. I think the song's biggest weakness is that they could have dragged out the second half a little longer just to give it a bit more resonance as an album closer. But I love the vocal melody and the gentle rhythm.

I listened to Mylo once last week after being really excited for it, and wasn't particularly impressed it all. I know that I need to listen to it again and pay more attention, but it's been hard to work up the willpower. However, I've listen to X&Y a good bit, and I still absolutely love that album,

It's funny because upon listening to this album the first time I thought... and down goes Coldplay.

Now... I feel like the only thing that's stopping this from being in the same league as VlVoDaaHF is those stupid transition tracks that are merged with the following track. Honestly... obviously I know what they were going for. I just think that the album should've had more tracks.

LuckyNumber7 said:
It's funny because upon listening to this album the first time I thought... and down goes Coldplay.

Now... I feel like the only thing that's stopping this from being in the same league as VlVoDaaHF is those stupid transition tracks that are merged with the following track. Honestly... obviously I know what they were going for. I just think that the album should've had more tracks.
Funny I think the transitions are a necessity.

The album does feel short, but there are still 11 proper songs.

Maybe time just flies when you're having fun.

I think that the transitions are one of the major strengths of the album, especially so, as GAF said, pertaining to Teardrop.

I'll agree that the transitions are pretty integral. It would feel like a collection of singles and (mostly) b-sides without them.

Like I said, I know what they're going for. I just feel as though the album lacks serious depth and they're the excuse for it.

Just like LemonMelon said (although he isn't particularly agreeing with me). It feels like a collection of singles and b-sides.

I guess I see right through the transition tracks. But perhaps it's not the transition track's fault. I just feel that there's seriously something missing. Something that Viva la Vida accomplished that the rest of the Coldplay albums failed to do (or so in my opinion).

The transition tracks need not be tracks at all. They're just extended intros to HLH, T=W and DLIBYH, that are separated from the songs proper. They enhance the album, in my opinion. It's a beautifully flowing album, though I will say I still very much prefer of VLVODAAHF.

Haw haw haw...

I was talking about the fact that they stuck out 14 tracks on it and yet only about 5 or 6 tracks are even notable (assuming we're not counting 3 transition tracks, and then the opinion of lack of depth or not).

That has nothing to do with the length of tracks or number of songs though. That's just your opinion, man.

What? It has 14 tracks. They release an album with a track listing of 14. You expect something in the ballpark. I acknowledged the fact that it's an opinion, but said opinion has all the world to do with the number of songs.

intedomine said:
The transition tracks need not be tracks at all. They're just extended intros to HLH, T=W and DLIBYH, that are separated from the songs proper. They enhance the album, in my opinion. It's a beautifully flowing album, though I will say I still very much prefer of VLVODAAHF.

:up:

LuckyNumber7 said:
What? It has 14 tracks. They release an album with a track listing of 14. You expect something in the ballpark. I acknowledged the fact that it's an opinion, but said opinion has all the world to do with the number of songs.

I don't even get what you're saying. There are "14" songs, two (three?) Are transitions, and great ones, imo, at that, but you don't count them, so you think you're getting gyped because only 5 or 6 songs out of 14 are "notable"? If you're not counting them, then 5 or 6 out of 11 songs are "notable", which isn't bad.

I'm confusing myself, I find this to be a pretty stupid thing to be up in arms about.

It seems like you're having two different arguments. One saying you want a longer album than what you got and one saying you expected better songs...???

Doesn't matter how long an album is, as long as the songs are good. King Of Limbs is a ripper at 8 tracks, while Parklife is brilliant at 16 tracks.

I'd rather 3 transition tracks that work, than 3 complete songs that are just filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom