Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gonna go with "Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes", but "Part 2" works as well.

I don't know how anyone can take this band seriously after that album title explanation.

And it seemed Martin couldn't be any more idiotic...

I anticipated that Pitchfork wouldn't have given MX anything more than a 4.5, but a 7 is surprising (I don't think even I'd have given it that high a score).

Also they didn't do their trademark, dwell on the artist's previous output for 70% of the article, and just bag out the artist's latest offering with poncy hyperbole for the rest of it.

I still don't see what anyone sees in Hurts Like Heaven though.

to reach the highest level of album consciousness, you must listen to Mylo Xyloto in a Mahindra Xylo

Did anyone else not find this thread title remotely funny?

How dare you.

“Music comes from a place we don’t know,” he said. “It sort of comes through the fingers and toes. So we came up with the idea of, what if you had musical digits, like xylo toes.” He shook his head, irritated that he gave up the secret so easily.

I think Charlie Brown and Paradise make the cut. I can respect something so crafted to be an earworm as Paradise is.

Reading back to their Parachutes review:

And of course, you've probably heard their smash hit single, "Yellow," by now. Indeed, it's the most obvious choice for a single, and it represents Martin's vocal stylings effectively, but it's also the record's weakest moment.

lololololol

I anticipated that Pitchfork wouldn't have given MX anything more than a 4.5, but a 7 is surprising (I don't think even I'd have given it that high a score).

Also they didn't do their trademark, dwell on the artist's previous output for 70% of the article, and just bag out the artist's latest offering with poncy hyperbole for the rest of it.

NLOTH got 4.2 from these parochials, and Coldplay's Miley Cyrus gets a 7! :laugh:

NLotH deserved that score for how thoroughly and unabashedly it compromised the vision that it had been touting for so long. At least Mylo wasn't afraid to go in the direction that it had intended to go.

iron yuppie said:
NLotH deserved that score for how thoroughly and unabashedly it compromised the vision that it had been touting for so long. .

Well that and the songs being trash.

Mylo Xyloto doesn't have one song in the same league as NLOTH, Moment of Surrender, Breathe or Cedars of Lebanon. Not one.

One person who reviewed one album liked it more than a different person who reviewed a different album? Wow, that's never happened in the history of music!

7/10 seems about right, after multiple listens. It's sort of a quintessential Coldplay album... lots of Bono-style "whoah oh ohs," some shiny radio singles, and a couple of pretty piano ballads. But try as they might, this band just can't summon the same gravitas that U2 has.

Best song is Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, by a pretty good margin. One of their 3 or 4 best ever.

Mylo Xyloto doesn't have one song in the same league as NLOTH, Moment of Surrender, Breathe or Cedars of Lebanon. Not one.

Matter of opinion, but I'm sure a lot of people would disagree.

Minus the awful title and lyric "hurts like heaven", and perhaps the overly fabricated "woah"s, everything else is good about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom