Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're an idiot.

iron yuppie said:
Here's the initial statement: "What kind of person buys music on iTunes?"

This is clearly a rhetorical statement. The grammatical structure involving "what kind of person" posits different groups: one that does buy via iTunes and one that does not. It can't honestly be questioning whether anyone still purchases music because the structure of the sentence already acknowledges that people do. It's neither an earnest question nor a factual statement by its very structure. It's intentionally condescending. You're just looking for an argument here.

bono_212 said:
I think I love you.

This was exactly my reaction. You had me at "grammatical structure" :heart:

intedomine said:
Numbers, minus the snarl and the nipples

:applaud:

Okay clearly nobody actually reads what's written here, then.

The original statement has very little relevance. My statement, "who actually buys music these days" was called equally as stupid.

So go ahead and reassess what you'd like to say, because you're talking about something relatively unrelated to what I was talking about.
big_lebowski-walter-sobchak-quote.jpg

Because you can easily go to a torrent site, put the mouse pointer on the search space, type whatever album you want, wait for the search results, and download it without having to pay anything. And if you are going to argue that it is unethical or somehow against the artist's rights, all I can tell you is that there is no comprehensive way of controlling illegal file sharing, and that artists earn most of their wealth from touring rather than from album sales.

Artists or bands don't work for free, as I stated, almost all of their cash comes from touring than from album sales.

I somewhat expected this answer. Except you're wrong. For every U2, Radiohead, or Coldplay, there are 10 bands out there that are struggling to get by and have to do all they can to make ends meet. So taking away a revenue stream for them isn't going to help matters much.

I would just add to the celestial firmament of this discussion that when I do choose to buy singles and the such, it's out of appreciation for the band.

That is stupid? Or is the argument even broader then that, the idea that monetizing appreciation is inherently dumb?

Why does every Coldplay thread have to devolve into some barely related argument?

I somewhat expected this answer. Except you're wrong. For every U2, Radiohead, or Coldplay, there are 10 bands out there that are struggling to get by and have to do all they can to make ends meet. So taking away a revenue stream for them isn't going to help matters much.
Since when has been getting inside the music industry, or any career field, an easy task?

The internet has completely changed the music industry, that's why today bands can't release a single or album and expect a market to like it and make millions. Those days did exist in the past but they are now over. It is up to their talents and efforts to make themselves recognized and accepted through some other way if they want to make a living out of it, not mentioning that music by itself apart from entertainment and culture, does not contribute anything meaningful to society in the long run unlike a scientist, medical researcher, economists, or other valuable professionals.

Come on, Dfit. It's not like this is an evolutionary situation where those of us who have "discovered" illegal downloading have progressed beyond those who have not. People have specific reasons for purchasing music: ethics, sentimentality, quality, etc. and the money saved on downloading music illegally would not outweigh those reasons in their eyes.

I don't buy music because I have absolutely no disposable income that could be spent on albums. When I can manage it, I always attend the gigs of bands I love. If I were to be a purist and only listened to music I purchased, I would be completely uninformed and would inevitably cut gigs out also. Thankfully, Grooveshark and my parents' Rhapsody account are available to me so I can listen to as much music as anyone.

Axver said:
Why does every Coldplay thread have to devolve into some barely related argument?

It's more interesting than discussing new Coldplay music.

Artists or bands don't work for free, as I stated, almost all of their cash comes from touring than from album sales.

One of my favorite artists doesn't tour ever. Because he couldn't make enough money to live as an artist. He has to work on his albums between running a trucking business and providing for his family. Thanks to the advent of illegal download. I'm not going to say I don't because I do. But not all artists can tour. That is why I buy all of that artist's material always.

You're not helping.

Not my fault I put up a perfectly fine argument, got chucked into an unnecessary grouping, and then got called out for 'thinking that my post is the center of the discussion' after y'know... I was only responding to those who responded to me.

Seriously, I don't get what the hell is up. What'd I do to get that kind of reaction? Hmm?

I just don't get why you argue about semantics. Both this and the "14 songs" argument aren't worth giving more than two seconds of thought too.

Diemen said:
C'mon, cobbler.

Sorry, diemen. He's being a bit of a dick though. Maybe he spends a lot of money on his car; I'd call that stupid, because it's not my hobby - buying good music is.

For the record, I too consider purchasing digital files to be a waste of money. If I'm going to purchase an album, I want to purchase the entire experience of unwrapping the cellophane, examining the cover art, and so on. I don't feel as if I really "own" an album if it's a collection of files on my computer, regardless of the money exchanged. Digital music files have only a utilitarian purpose, offering the listener the music but little else. As a result, MP3s are cheaper than physical albums, but you are basically throwing your money away unless you purchased the vinyl, in which case the digital files may not be available to you. Personally, I wouldn't feel guilty downloading the album if I've already purchased it, but hey.

Not my fault I put up a perfectly fine argument, got chucked into an unnecessary grouping, and then got called out for 'thinking that my post is the center of the discussion' after y'know... I was only responding to those who responded to me.

Seriously, I don't get what the hell is up. What'd I do to get that kind of reaction? Hmm?

You just have an amazing skill at getting bogged down in arguments that are either trivial or off-topic or both.

You just have an amazing skill at getting bogged down in arguments that are either trivial or off-topic or both.

Look I'm sorry that something like that happened. The last thing I want to do is sit here and argue with people. I didn't start that discussion, I was just a part of it. But I don't have control over other people misreading the thread and responding to me as though I said something I didn't. And I also have no control over other's snide responses. That's the point where something really changes from discussion to an argument/fight.

I just don't get why you argue about semantics. Both this and the "14 songs" argument aren't worth giving more than two seconds of thought too.

Well they're my points. If you don't agree it's okay to just leave it at that. Perhaps I might not have the best of abilities of saying things the way I'd like to say them. But it takes two (and in this case... like... 5) to tango.

Axver said:

Time lost arguing with LuckyNumber7 winds up in the same place as missing socks.

Hey guys, I figured out who's actually buying music on iTunes!

It's the people who aren't downloading it illegally.

There. Question answered.

And because the answer is so obvious, that's why I called it a stupid question. No one is saying that more people aren't downloading illegally these days - of course it is. We all know that. But obviously, not everyone is, otherwise the iTunes music store would be gathering cobwebs.

It just might. Would you like to the take the discussion in that direction? Concerted efforts toward improving social interaction may have a very significant impact on health and well-being. Then again, they may not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom