Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2 - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
What? It has 14 tracks. They release an album with a track listing of 14. You expect something in the ballpark. I acknowledged the fact that it's an opinion, but said opinion has all the world to do with the number of songs.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
There's 14 songs. Yeah? Three of them aren't actually songs, but transitions to other songs. So now we're down to 11. And then there's (and here's the opinion) some crap songs that aren't worthy of making their album. So when you first see the album and there's 14 songs and then in reality there's only about 7 or so individual songs that are quality and worthy of being there.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:04 AM
But if they were to include 3 full songs (say Don Quixote, Moving To Mars and Car Kids) instead of the transitions, and you didn't like any of those three songs, you'd still only get 7 songs worth listening to.

I enjoy all 11 songs on some level, so I'm doing alright, and don't feel shortchanged.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #124
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I don't even get what you're saying. There are "14" songs, two (three?) Are transitions, and great ones, imo, at that, but you don't count them, so you think you're getting gyped because only 5 or 6 songs out of 14 are "notable"? If you're not counting them, then 5 or 6 out of 11 songs are "notable", which isn't bad.

I'm confusing myself, I find this to be a pretty stupid thing to be up in arms about.

The transitions are quality, yes. But they are, in a sense, all part of another song. They're hardly transitions, even. They're intros, just given a separate track listing and title. I was expecting a normal track length album and hoping for a quality repeat from their last album. Unfortunately, this album is filled in with intros and lack of quality, topped with some high quality songs.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict

Length of the album and whether or not the songs are shitty are literally two different arguments. You're really complaining that the album has filler. That's got nothing to do with album length. Only the transitions thing is, and even then, you're at 11, which you have no issue with.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:04 PM
This was my review to some friends after my very first listen. I actually think it sounds better played from speakers than it does through nice headphones...the production is much foggier than I expected (granted, I wasn't playing through a great sound system, but still).

Here were my thoughts immediately after the first run-through:

So I just had my very first listen to Mylo Xyloto. Since I lack any impressive sound system, I plugged my bitchin' Sennheiser HD555's into the MacBook Pro, and while [my wife] and the kids were napping, I sat down, closed my eyes, and dove in. First impression? 7/10. I actually wavered on maybe saying 6.9/10, but I think 7 is ok.

Back when I saw the first promo images for the album several months ago (all the colorful graffiti, etc.), I called that they were aiming for their own Coldplay version of Achtung Baby. I think that that holds true for the album. However, I think they didn't quite hit the mark. It's definitely the farthest departure yet from Parachutes & A Rush of Blood to the Head in a few senses, and it is a step forward from Viva La Vida. Much like Achtung, there is a clear intention to obtain more of a street/club/dance feel; a few songs have whomping beats & electronic (-sounding, at least) percussion. Yet rather than a radical departure from the past, there are many, many times when MX seems to simply be a natural progression from VLV.

Musically, the album relies on "wall of sound" choruses with Eno-esque atmosphere, something they've done on all three albums from X&Y onward (perhaps even earlier with "Clocks"). Other, "smaller" songs rely on the classic Coldplay combination of Chris Martin's voice plus minimal arrangement behind him (i.e., "Us Against the World"). What grabs you on the "big" songs isn't a riff or a groove, but rather an onslaught guitars, synths, and drums, combined with trademark Chris Martin "ooh ooh ooh's," all positioned in the right moments of each song to lift you up into it. The flaw, perhaps, is that the repetitive use of the same technique without any distinctive groove makes many of the songs blend together. This may, of course, change on further listens---we'll see.

There was a story after VLV that when Eno first met Coldplay, the first thing he told them was that Chris Martin's lyrics were shit. Apparently, Martin has been joking around on Mylo Xyloto promo interviews that his lyrics suck. I don't think that they suck, but I feel obliged to say that there's nothing at all remarkable about them. They tend to fit their respective songs very well, but often lack much depth in and of themselves. I've always been a lyrics guy, though this issue may not matter much to many others.

It may be unfair to compare MX to Achtung, as this is only Coldplay's 5th album (their Joshua Tree...is that even more unfair?). However, they've been together as long as U2 were when they made Achtung, and it does seem as if they were going for kind of a street art, danceable feel & image that U2 had moved toward with Achtung. Comparing the two, MX pales considerably (yet seems to be causing the same sort of divide among Coldplay fans as Achtung did among U2 fans, according to a glimpse at the coldplaying.com forum, with many "I don't know where this band is going anymore" posts). Taken on its own, however, the album is enjoyable and pretty good....just not great. But does it need to be great?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #127
The Male

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo
But does it need to be great?
After an album like Viva La Vida, yes.

I've heard this argument a bunch of times in the past couple of weeks, and I'm not sure what Coldplay did to make themselves the joke of industry. I suppose MX wouldn't kill me if it's not great, but I probably won't listen to it in full again. I guess that's all that's at risk with it not being awesome.

Now.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #128
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Length of the album and whether or not the songs are shitty are literally two different arguments. You're really complaining that the album has filler. That's got nothing to do with album length. Only the transitions thing is, and even then, you're at 11, which you have no issue with.
Well then we're arguing semantics. I'm just saying seeing 14 tracks gets your hopes up, and when only around half of them turn out to be legitimate tracks (for whatever reason, three for the fact that they're not really tracks), it's upsetting. It's a combination of both.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:15 AM   #129
Blue Crack Distributor

Not a regular track length album? Wait...what?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:26 AM   #130
The Male

I wish Teardrop, Princess of China and Paradise weren't legitimate, but they are all too real.

Now.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:04 PM
They could have made a very good EP out of the songs on the album + Moving To Mars.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #132
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Not a regular track length album? Wait...what?
Those are your words and your words alone.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Well then we're arguing semantics. I'm just saying seeing 14 tracks gets your hopes up, and when only around half of them turn out to be legitimate tracks (for whatever reason, three for the fact that they're not really tracks), it's upsetting. It's a combination of both.
You are very inarticulate. I know what you're trying to say and you're doing it totally wrong.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post

There was a story after VLV that when Eno first met Coldplay, the first thing he told them was that Chris Martin's lyrics were shit. Apparently, Martin has been joking around on Mylo Xyloto promo interviews that his lyrics suck. I don't think that they suck, but I feel obliged to say that there's nothing at all remarkable about them. They tend to fit their respective songs very well, but often lack much depth in and of themselves. I've always been a lyrics guy, though this issue may not matter much to many others.
Despite my username, I don't pay much attention to rock lyrics, for several reasons:

1) more than ever in this global era, people listening to albums do now know English as their first language. Therefore, finely-wrought lyrics are perhaps less useful in getting a message across than bright, bold, basic colors

2) some of the best bands were known for not caring about lyrics - look at Led Zeppelin: a classic example of a band being too cool to worry about lyrics. Robert Plant's vocals are arguably the best in rock history, but lyrically, those songs are often just gibberish. And there's nothing wrong with it.

3) if I want great writing, I'll open a novel or go read some poetry. Lyrics are made to be sung, and are just a vehicle for the vocalist. Vocals are extremely important to me, but I don't really care whether the lyrics are Sigur Ros-style made-up words, or Dylan-level stuff.

...after having listened to MX a lot over the last week, I'm upgrading my earlier rating from a 7 to a 8. The best tracks (1-2, 4, 5, 6-7, 10, 12-13) are outstanding ones.