Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I live on the east coast now, so I wasn't able to make it. I had a choice in terms of Montreal events: Radiohead in June, Coldplay in July, or Osheaga in August. I chose Radiohead and Osheaga, and I don't regret the decision.

I'd go, but I'm actually seeing Coldplay that night.

And Beck, Grizzly Bear, Chromatics, Sigur Ros, Los Campesinos! and others two days earlier.

And Radiohead both three and four days later.

Oh cool, I hadn't heard about that - thanks for mentioning it. I want to go to the Seattle showing.

Coldplay are ending the year with three shows in the United States, including a New Year's Eve concert with Jay-Z at Brooklyn's Barclays Center.

I really think they're going to extend the Mylo Xyloto Tour into 2013, I hope so. 88 shows can't be all (well, they had longer tours).

Dates:

29 December - Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun Arena
30 December - Brooklyn, NY - Barclays Center
31 December - Brooklyn, NY - Barclays Center

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=1145

Seeing these boys tomorrow. Can't wait MyloXyloto is a super album. Such an exhilarating 40 mins or so.

I really think they're going to extend the Mylo Xyloto Tour into 2013, I hope so. 88 shows can't be all (well, they had longer tours).
Coldplay: News - Three new US shows - including NYE with JAY Z

I sure hope so. They left out several large US cities this year, plus they could revisit some of the bigger cities they already played. I'd really love to see them, but they aren't a band I deem worthy of leaving the state to see (that honor goes to U2 alone). They didn't come to Ohio yet on this tour. I really hope they do!

First, the not so great stuff.

The entire spectacle is like a large-scale version of a Flaming Lips show. It only went for about 100 minutes. Warning Sign was probably the only song that not everybody knew the words to. No Viva La Vida material outside of the title track, Violet Hill and Lovers in Japan, I was dying to hear Strawberry Swing of Death and All His Friends or Lost or 42 or Chinese Sleep Chant or something to break up the hypercolour of the Mylo Xyloto tracks. No Parachutes aside from Yellow. The Scientist and Yellow came early in the set and so lacked a bit of emotional punch. It really does feel like a greatest hits set, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but the show would be much better if it was half an hour longer, filled with deeper cuts.

But wow, a great show. Those wristbands are an awesome idea, it's so cool to look around the stadium and see red, green, blue, etc all flashing together, really amazing. Hurts Like Heaven is an impressive opener, what with all the cool graphics on the hyper-def video screens, the fireworks and confetti and what not. I can genuinely say that every single song, with the possible exception of Paradise, was pretty much a knock-out. They all sounded fantastic, even if the placement and constant uber-hitness of the show detracted from a couple. Still, it was pretty fucking amazing to see the crowd recognise every song, and there were a couple of stretches where it seemed everyone knew every word (The Scientist > Yellow > Violet Hill, Speed of Sound > Clocks > Fix You > Teardrop). God Put a Smile was sensational, Fix You was amazing (I still give a hearty fuck you to anyone who doesn't like that song), and it's hard to believe I once passionately hated Teardrop, because it is a brilliant, electric closer. Viva La Vida is still great too, especially with the cowbell, and Charlie Brown was another highlight.

So all in all, a great show, but not quite as good as the first time I saw them in an arena (tonight was in a stadium). Mega hit after mega hit after mega hit kind of takes away from some of the songs I think. It sounds like I'm being kinda negative, but really, the show itself, without considering anything else, was pretty fucking impeccable.

Fix You was amazing (I still give a hearty fuck you to anyone who doesn't like that song)

I make no apologies for loving that song. It's one of my absolute favorites, it's very meaningful to me and I find it really reassuring and comforting.

I do agree that a longer show with more of their non-hits would be fantastic (as I have often said, I particularly would LOVE to hear "Yes" live sometime. As well as the other songs from Viva La Vida you listed). But I'm glad that you enjoyed the show overall, and I agree that the spectacle and the wristbands and that is just an awesome sight.

Last night was great. Top set. The absence of Lost was the only major disappointment for me. Charlie Brown and Teardropz = Waterfallz were highlights live, as was Us Against The World, which was lovely ad quite close to us as it was played on the C Stage. Warning Sign was great, as was the reworked god Put A Smile On Yer Face.

It was the first time i'd been to a Stadium gig and been towards the middle-back of General Admin. This tainted the night as I feel I would have enjoyed it substantially more had I been up the front GA or seated instead. Way too far away. Could barely see the boys play their songs. Ah well.

Temper Trap were great support as well.

Temper Trap were great after a sluggish start. That run of the final three tracks from their debut was fantastic. The other support act was horrible though.

And yeah, the GA setup was pretty crap. The front section wasn't even full, and even from where I was, about 10m back from the rail in the back section, you could barely see the band.

Saw the Coldplay film tonight. It was a collection of YouTube videos. Should've done something iMax'y or something. It was good, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

The film was fun, but yeah, I don't know that I gained anything by seeing it in a theater setting as opposed to waiting for the DVD.

Latin American tour dates announced for February 2013...this is how they ended their Viva La Vida Tour back in 2010, so I think this is how the Mylo Xyloto Tour will end. Looks like they're going to skip my area, again, for now. :( Need to win the lottery so I can fly to Brazil, Argentina, Chile or Mexico. :wink:

February 5 - Sao Paulo, Brazil - Estadio do Morumbi
February 7 - Porto Alegre, Brazil - Estadio do Zequinha
February 9 - La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina - Estadio Unico de La Plata
February 12 - Santiago, Chile - Estadio Nacional de Chile
February 15 - Mexico City, Mexico - Foro Sol
February 18 - Guadalajara, Mexico - Estadio 3 de Marzo
February 19 - Monterrey, Mexico - Estadio Universitario

Coldplay: News - Feb 2013 Latin America tour announced!

Just got a ticket on a pre-sale to the New Year's Eve show! :dance: One of the cheaper tickets, I will only go over $100 for one band (guess...) So looking forward to it, not only is it New Year's Eve just a few subway stops from home, but also my birthday!

The film was fun, but yeah, I don't know that I gained anything by seeing it in a theater setting as opposed to waiting for the DVD.

I had the same thought. As a fan I enjoyed it, however the sound in the theater was crap which was annoying. Overall, I don't think it gave justice to the live performance, but it was still fun.

Just got a ticket on a pre-sale to the New Year's Eve show! :dance: One of the cheaper tickets, I will only go over $100 for one band (guess...) So looking forward to it, not only is it New Year's Eve just a few subway stops from home, but also my birthday!

:up: I was tempted to pick up a ticket, but held off. I'm not sure I can swing the last minute hotel and Amtrak expense so close to the holidays. I did book a hotel just in case though. :reject: It should be a sweet show.

Temper Trap were great after a sluggish start. That run of the final three tracks from their debut was fantastic. The other support act was horrible though.

And yeah, the GA setup was pretty crap. The front section wasn't even full, and even from where I was, about 10m back from the rail in the back section, you could barely see the band.

Did Temper Trap do their awesome light work with a water bottle and Drum Song?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom