Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been visiting internet forums for a very long time now and have found the repercussions of bold opinions are pretty small. In fact, they stir more interesting debate most of the time than "well, I dunno...I think Bono was a little off his game there...I'm sorry. :reject:"

It lives up to its...shit reputation. :rimshot:

Web forum or not (and I have been visiting them for a very long time myself)... something along those lines there are just as many people who are going to agree with you as there are who are going to disagree with you.

Web forum or not (and I have been visiting them for a very long time myself)... something along those lines there are just as many people who are going to agree with you as there are who are going to disagree with you.

And that's perfectly OK. They can take this opinion up with me and others can join in. That's what we're here to do, I thought :shh:

And that's perfectly OK. They can take this opinion up with me and others can join in. That's what we're here to do, I thought :shh:

Not by any means saying you shouldn't debate it. Just that it's no fun debating it when it becomes a battle of superiority. It's okay to express it as an opinion.

Bite the hand that's defending you - classy move there, LM. :wink:

Hey, sometimes it's fun to play English professor to the man of ostentatious verbosity. :wink:

Not by any means saying you shouldn't debate it. Just that it's no fun debating it when it becomes a battle of superiority. It's okay to express it as an opinion.

I don't mind discussing it in those more objective terms myself. I guess the trick is to tone it down if you're alienating a specific person; most people don't complain, although it does happen, and then we have this debate here.

I give ATYCLC a lot of shit, and rightfully so, but it's a very easy album to sit through. Nothing really bothers me, and I have to say that this is the most successful of the three albums in terms of what the set out to do. Of course, when you aim low, it's a lot easier to achieve your goal.

I like everything on there more than Sometimes You Can't Play It On Your Own and All Because of Cock, my least favorites on Atomic Serve. And I probably prefer Serve On more than any of the other album's peaks.

But it has no teeth, musically or lyrically, and that's the problem for me.

Finally gave Mylo a spin, and, far from being terrible or embarrassing, I rather liked it. It is an incredibly well-sequenced and coherent record in terms of production and mood, even if the songcraft falls off on tracks 11-14. Teardrop, which I did not care for as a single, works much, much better within the context of the album, and Major Minus and Princess of China are among their best songs, I think. That opinion will likely be unpopular, but the former has some insistent attitude and is wise to veil Martin's lyrics under some adventurous vocal textures; the latter brings many of the best elements from the top-forty scene (I include Rihanna in that category) and merges them with Coldplay's impeccable ear for a hook. Count me impressed.

Title not Russian enough for you vlad?

?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there aren't that many people who hold No Line so high and hold Mylo so low.

I don't hold NLOTH that high at all, it's a good album but that's just about where it ends. Mylo, on the other hand, is absolutely horrible.

(Do I put in an 'IMO' now or something?)

the tourist said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there aren't that many people who hold No Line so high and hold Mylo so low.

What's your point here? Critics certainly like NLOTH more, that much is clear. And, based on projections, that flop beat Mylo Xyloto in first week sales. But that doesn't matter anyway, it's only Vlad's opinion. Let him have it. I haven't berated any positive comments myself, just gave my own negative ones. I figure that's fair.

Mylo Xyloto is far more incomprehensible than any Russian phrase.

anyone else watch Coldplay on BBC Live Lounge today? or hear on Radio 1? Played 2/3 new songs and played version of Rihanna's We Found Love, and played Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall song (I personally prefer the album version after hearing it live!!!).

did I miss any other songs?

it was an okay set. I thought couple of the new songs sounded shit thou. Loved how the dinner bell went off when he started singing We Found Love.

What's your point here? Critics certainly like NLOTH more, that much is clear. And, based on projections, that flop beat Mylo Xyloto in first week sales. But that doesn't matter anyway, it's only Vlad's opinion. Let him have it. I haven't berated any positive comments myself, just gave my own negative ones. I figure that's fair.

It depends on which critics you read. I don't generally care what critics say. I care more about what people I talk to in real life say. So there's that. And I think you're both taking my comment far too seriously.

Coldplay are playing a special show for the BBC tonight in Norwich, UK. Starting soon, the live broadcast here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_one
The full Unstaged show is up on YouTube:
Coldplay - UNSTAGED (Full Show Rebroadcast) - YouTube
Looks good...I'm really hoping for a full tour now.

Great stuff. I'm really hoping for a tour as well...I wonder if their upcoming European shows is the start of the tour, or at least a tease of what's to come?

17 November - Manchester, UK - Evening News Arena
03 December - Glasgow, UK - SECC
04 December - Manchester, UK - Evening News Arena
09 December - London, UK - The O2 Arena
14 December - Paris, France - Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy
15 December - Cologne, Germany - Lanxess Arena
17 December - Rotterdam, The Netherlands - Ahoy
18 December - Antwerp, Belgium - Sportpaleis Antwerpen
20 December - Frankfurt, Germany - Festhalle
21 December - Berlin, Germany - O2 World Arena

http://www.coldplay.com/live.php :hmm:

Shame... I just watched "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" live.. it's the same as the studio.

I really have a vision with that song. It could be a real rocker. Kick up the bass waaaay up. They closed with it... it's not a closer. Come on now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom