Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky, I'm glad you got to see them! Sorry about the xylobands!

23 days!!!! :panic:

I'm sorry but they will never even come close to what U2 does.. :no:

and I am not just talking about the spectacle (confetti, stage production). There is so much more that goes into a live show then that. For me it's a emotional experience, a wow moment, connection with the band.

She's saying that Coldplay is incapable of connecting with an audience the way that U2 did on, say, the Elevation tour. She's not comparing their light shows at all.

Yeah, they're putting out an awful lot of effort into creating a big show, but it does come across like they are throwing a lot of little things into creating a big show just for the sake of creating a big show.

I don't think that's a bad thing, because I enjoyed the hell out of the show (er ... BIG SHOW!) I saw, but U2, for all their love of a giant stage ... well, they don't have to try so hard.

Romi had a great line in his show review about Chris' jumping and other manic moves. I don't remember what it was, but it was about how they were so optimized for "cool photo opportunity."

They come across like "take a picture NOW! ...... NOW! ..... and NOW! ... missed that one? I'll jump AGAIN!"

:lol:

Chris Martin just doesn't hve the same stage presence as Bono. But I'm speaking as a big U2 fan and just a normal Coldplay fan. :shrug:

Romi had a great line in his show review about Chris' jumping and other manic moves. I don't remember what it was, but it was about how they were so optimized for "cool photo opportunity."

They come across like "take a picture NOW! ...... NOW! ..... and NOW! ... missed that one? I'll jump AGAIN!"

there is just something about it that rubs me the wrong way. Chris does try too hard and it just doesn't come across as geniune but forced so to me that is where there is a lack of connection with the audience (they do put on good shows that are fun but like I said it lacks the emotional connection). With Bono he has a truly captivating charisma that just connects with everyone in the crowd and yes he doesn't have to try hard at all.

I will be going to their show here in DC on Sunday. And am looking forward to it. My son really likes them so this will be his first time seeing them so I am excited for him.

Chrissy just isn't that great live, vocally. He's already having the struggles with his range that Bono started having in his late 30s. I don't think he's an awful frontman, he seems to get the crowd engaged, but I never see him elevate songs with his vocals.

In my opinion, Bono > Chris Martin by a longshot, though Chris does a good job of engaging the crowd right from the start of the show. His voice is losing power at a rapid rate, and I just don't understand why he jumps so many times. He also doesn't say speeches or introduces the band, as Bono does, though he just says a few lines throughout the show. As U2fanatic said, Bono doesn't try that hard. It's like if he has it under his belt from the moment he walks on stage.

It's like if Chris is forcing himself too much, vocally, and desperately trying to be one of the most captivating and engaging showmen ever. For being on stage for less than 110-120 minutes, Coldplay still put on a hell of show (I want to see them live!) They will never be U2, and Chris Martin will never be Bono, or any other legendary frontmen you could think of. He's not that close to being the worst, though. And that's coming from me, a huge U2 fan, also a big Coldplay fan. :lol:

I've have never seen them live before, and I really am looking forward to it. I try not to go into any concert with set expectations. I like Coldplay, the show looks great from the videos I have seen, and I really am happy to get the chance to see some of my favourite songs live! (They better keep playing Warning Sign).

I'm not really there for Chris Martin anyways. :shifty:

Yeah, it's funny - everything I said makes it sound like I'm being negative about the show, but I swear I'm not! :lol: It was a great, energetic, fun show.

At this point, I haven't seen a concert since U2 in Minneapolis last July. I'm sure I will be happy with anything! :lol:

I'm sorry but they will never even come close to what U2 does.. :no:

and I am not just talking about the spectacle (confetti, stage production). There is so much more that goes into a live show then that. For me it's a emotional experience, a wow moment, connection with the band.

:yes: I do agree with this, and it's hard to explain that difference because it's more than just how the show looks. However, I am looking forward to the confetti, light show, and glowing wristbands later this month. :D

:giggle:This made me giggle because I was just looking at photos of Chris mid air during last night's show. :lol:

I try not to go into any concert with set expectations. I like Coldplay, the show looks great from the videos I have seen, and I really am happy to get the chance to see some of my favourite songs live! (They better keep playing Warning Sign).

My only expectations are to dance my butt off, and enjoy the pretty lights. And I agree about Warning Sign.

I've have never seen them live before, and I really am looking forward to it. I try not to go into any concert with set expectations. I like Coldplay, the show looks great from the videos I have seen, and I really am happy to get the chance to see some of my favourite songs live! (They better keep playing Warning Sign).

:shifty:

Can't believe we're comparing Martin, as much as I like him, with Bono. Why bother?

Bono > every frontman ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom