Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty simple question, I think. Is there anything on Mylo Xyloto that does more you than NLOTH's peaks?

Obviously, GAF and Laz have contrasting opinions ready to go.

I'd agree that nothing on Mylo Xyloto is as strong as NLOTH's title track or Moment of Surrender.

Everything on Mylo Xyloto is stronger than Unknown Caller.

Everything in my last post-Arby's bowel movement is stronger than Unknown Caller.

Pretty simple question, I think. Is there anything on Mylo Xyloto that does more you than NLOTH's peaks?

Obviously, GAF and Laz have contrasting opinions ready to go.

Well your original post made it seem as though nothing on Mylo Xyloto (even the best) gets to anything on NLOTH, which I disagree.

Well your original post made it seem as though nothing on Mylo Xyloto (even the best) gets to anything on NLOTH, which I disagree.

Well, no, it didn't. Anyway, I prefer Hurts Like Heaven, Major Minus and Us Against The World to Stand Up Comedy at least.

Normally, I can't understand the U2/Coldplay comparisons, but I do believe the concept of remixing an unabashed pop song like Crazy Tonight was influential on the sound of this record. They wrote some of the most saccharine songs of their career and gave them an electro pulse. They can pawn that off on top 40 radio if it gets Rihanna on their songs, but Crazy Tonight would fit like a glove on this album, in either incarnation.

Also, I'm curious: is Unknown Server reviled simply because of the computer/cell phone lyrics? Do you also hate the vocal melody of the verses, the lyrics in the verses, the chanting of the chorus, Hedge's darker shadings under the verses, and that solid, if not groundbreaking solo?

It seems odd to act like a song is worthless when there's only one questionable element. By comparison, there are a lot more issues to be found in Stand Up Referee and Cock Crazy, which have a good number of things that bother me lyrically, melodically, etc.

so there's a, uh, "Coldplay Unstaged" thing going on YouTube/Vevo today. Basically a live concert doc?

ColdplayChrisMartinPR211011.jpg

lazarus said:
Also, I'm curious: is Unknown Server reviled simply because of the computer/cell phone lyrics? Do you also hate the vocal melody of the verses, the lyrics in the verses, the chanting of the chorus, Hedge's darker shadings under the verses, and that solid, if not groundbreaking solo?

It seems odd to act like a song is worthless when there's only one questionable element. By comparison, there are a lot more issues to be found in Stand Up Referee and Cock Crazy, which have a good number of things that bother me lyrically, melodically, etc.

I can't figure it out myself, one of my favorite U2 songs of the decade, and my favorite on the album.

I love Unknown Caller!

Also, a friend at work got me a free copy of this Coldplay thingie yesterday, since we'll be selling it in our stores. Whoo-hoo!

Not that I've listened to it yet. But still - whoo-hoo!

This is possibly Coldplay's worst album for me, battling with X & Y. But it is much, much better than No Line on the Horizon in my opinion. What an abortion of a record that was.

Sith is a better example, I think. That's a really decent movie with some real cheesy shit dragging it down.

I don't think Attack of the Clones was ever going to be good.

I prefer LD's comparison more because I actually like Clones, but re: LM's suggestion, would that make the "baby baby baby/I know I'm not alone" part of Cock Crazy the "No, I'm so in love with you!" of No Net?

That chorus is such a focus of the song. Those verses are kind of cool, with that Talk Show Host guitar sound and pretty good lyrics. But they make that chorus a focal point and it's one of the worst things they've ever done.

That solo is average at best. Edge mailed in NLOTH.

I always liked Crazy Tonight. I actually don't hate any of the songs on NLOTH (though Magnificent is definitely my least favourite). Not sure I'll ever listen to it full again though.

That Unknown Caller chorus is godawful though.

True. And it's a shame, because Bono showed a very strong improvement from ATYCLB and Bomb, which are his worst albums both lyrically and vocally.

You're very bold with your opinions.

But I'd go and say that ATYCLB shows some of Bono's best and worst lyrics.

You're very bold with your opinions.

But I'd go and say that ATYCLB shows some of Bono's best and worst lyrics.

I've been visiting internet forums for a very long time now and have found the repercussions of bold opinions are pretty small. In fact, they stir more interesting debate most of the time than "well, I dunno...I think Bono was a little off his game there...I'm sorry. :reject:"

Time to see if Mylo can live up to its mephitic reputation.

It lives up to its...shit reputation. :rimshot:

Bad weather woke me up at 5 AM, so I decided to listen to Mylo Xyloto for the 3rd time. Still love it.

- Major Minus is really growing on me. It's just really great.

- Princess of China, Don't Let It Break Your Heart and Charlie Brown are, to me, on my Top 5. Excellent tracks.

True. And it's a shame, because Bono showed a very strong improvement from ATYCLB and Bomb, which are his worst albums both lyrically and vocally.
Agreed. ATYCLB was by far his worst album vocally, and I'd argue his worst lyrically as well. Bomb was better, but middling because he never really got anywhere great. NLOTH he had much better vocals, with inconsistent lyrics.

ATYCLB just sucks. Fuck that album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom