Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2 - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #226
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7

Why would it be just as stupid of a question?

It's my understanding that illegally downloading music is becoming easier and easier.
Because it's illegal and ease of gaining it shouldn't stop you from realizing that.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #227
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:04 PM
This isn't a case of ethics.

'who actually buys music these days?'

That's got nothing to do with what you think is right and what you think is wrong. You can't deny that more and more people are illegally downloading and sharing music, and less and less people are buying their music.

I fail to see how that's 'just as stupid of a question'.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:04 PM
There is a value judgment implicit in the question of "who buys music these days," suggesting that one who downloads illegally is savvier than one who purchases music. The suggestion is that purchasing music is somehow unintelligent; it cannot possibly have been meant as an honest question, as the continued existence of iTunes and Amazon MP3 clearly demonstrates that plenty of people still do buy music. So it's not so much a "stupid question" as it is an asinine assumption of superiority concerning the relatively trivial issue of attaining music.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #229
Blue Crack Supplier

Well put, iYup.

Sounded rather scholarly, too.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #230
45:33

Local Time: 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus
Sounded rather scholarly, too.
Have you missed his other 2,431 posts??

Very well said though, and I wish my dad would listen when I say words to that effect.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #231
Blue Crack Distributor

iYup gets it in one.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #232
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
There is a value judgment implicit in the question of "who buys music these days," suggesting that one who downloads illegally is savvier than one who purchases music. The suggestion is that purchasing music is somehow unintelligent; it cannot possibly have been meant as an honest question, as the continued existence of iTunes and Amazon MP3 clearly demonstrates that plenty of people still do buy music. So it's not so much a "stupid question" as it is an asinine assumption of superiority concerning the relatively trivial issue of attaining music.
There's nothing suggestive about it. I have no idea where it is implied that one is 'more savvy' for illegally downloading music. That's ridiculous. The only thing it implies is that nobody is buying their music anymore. Of course, that statement is a bit extreme. But much in the sense that if I'm still listening to CDs, you're going to ask 'who listens to CDs anymore?' not because I'm 'not savvy' but because digital music has taken over. It is trending up, and the days of a physical medium are dying.

This is so ridiculous. There's nothing in the context of 'superiority' related in there. It's factual. Illegal downloadings are trending up, legal ones are trending down.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #233
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
There's nothing suggestive about it. I have no idea where it is implied that one is 'more savvy' for illegally downloading music. That's ridiculous. The only thing it implies is that nobody is buying their music anymore. Of course, that statement is a bit extreme. But much in the sense that if I'm still listening to CDs, you're going to ask 'who listens to CDs anymore?' not because I'm 'not savvy' but because digital music has taken over. It is trending up, and the days of a physical medium are dying.

This is so ridiculous. There's nothing in the context of 'superiority' related in there. It's factual. Illegal downloadings are trending up, legal ones are trending down.
Here's the initial statement: "What kind of person buys music on iTunes?"

This is clearly a rhetorical statement. The grammatical structure involving "what kind of person" posits different groups: one that does buy via iTunes and one that does not. It can't honestly be questioning whether anyone still purchases music because the structure of the sentence already acknowledges that people do. It's neither an earnest question nor a factual statement by its very structure. It's intentionally condescending. You're just looking for an argument here.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #234
Blue Crack Distributor

I think I love you.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #235
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Here's the initial statement: "What kind of person buys music on iTunes?"

This is clearly a rhetorical statement. The grammatical structure involving "what kind of person" posits different groups: one that does buy via iTunes and one that does not. It can't honestly be questioning whether anyone still purchases music because the structure of the sentence already acknowledges that people do. It's neither an earnest question nor a factual statement by its very structure. It's intentionally condescending. You're just looking for an argument here.
Okay clearly nobody actually reads what's written here, then.

The original statement has very little relevance. My statement, "who actually buys music these days" was called equally as stupid.

So go ahead and reassess what you'd like to say, because you're talking about something relatively unrelated to what I was talking about.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #236
Blue Crack Supplier

I think he was addressing car guy, not you. So you're right, it is a relativelg unrelated argument.

I know you probably wish this discussion was centered around your post, but it isn't.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #237
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I think he was addressing car guy, not you. So you're right, it is a relativelg unrelated argument.

I know you probably wish this discussion was centered around your post, but it isn't.
What an obnoxious thing to say. Seven times a post either directly quoted my post or was responding directly under my post. If he's not talking to me, that's his fault, not mine.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #238
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus
I have nothing to add because I'm a thief and don't want to hang myself, but this made me laugh.

Now.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:04 AM
Numbers, minus the snarl and the nipples
Old 11-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #240
War Child

Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
That's why "why not just download it for free somewhere" is a stupid question.
It's the actually the opposite. The majority of people today would consider stupid the fact that people still buy digital music through online stores, this has to do with digital music as downloads, not physical CD's.

Quote:
This decision of buying digital music online is stupid, this does not have to do with the person's intelligence because it's completely unrelated. A person who buys digital music online is not categorized as inferior or stupid, it's just the decision of buying that is stupid.