Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I anticipated that Pitchfork wouldn't have given MX anything more than a 4.5, but a 7 is surprising (I don't think even I'd have given it that high a score).

Also they didn't do their trademark, dwell on the artist's previous output for 70% of the article, and just bag out the artist's latest offering with poncy hyperbole for the rest of it.

I still don't see what anyone sees in Hurts Like Heaven though.

It doesn't seem that Pitchfork were that serious about music as I thought then. What with some of the reviews for U2's last 2 albums that I've read, they appeared to be written by snobbish serious-than-thou music critics.

I thought Pitchfork was written by upper class snobs.

X&Y's best 2 songs are better than anything on KoL... besides Codex. And I don't think Codex beats out Talk for me.
But that's just me. (prerequisite opinion clarification)

Well, personal tastes are personal tastes.
Just like many many people prefer any Britney Spears or Lady Gaga song over any Bowie or any U2 song.

Both albums are special. I'd say the consistency of exceptionality gives KoL an edge over MX, for me.

Bloom, CodeX, Lotus Flower and Give Up The Ghost are some of Radiohead's finest songs.

The jury's still out on Mylo Xyloto, but there are quite a few songs that are more charming than mind-blowing, namely Up With The Birds, Major Minus, Teardrops=Waterfalls, and Don't Let It Break Your Heart. Mind you, Charles Brown, Para-Para-Paradise and UFO into Princess o' China are a handful of Coldplay classics.

If you have Google music they are offering a live EP of their Madrid show for free right now!

After months of festival appearances and one-off concerts, Coldplay will be "unofficially" kicking off the Mylo Xyloto Tour tonight in Glasgow, with a full production. Really want North American dates to be announced. :sad:

Songs played at Glasgow, but since setlist is unknown, order is incorrect.

Back to the Future Theme
--
Mylo Xyloto
Hurts Like Heaven
Yellow
Daylight
What If
Lost!
Violet Hill
Politik
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
Charlie Brown
Every Teardrop is a Waterfall
Paradise
Major Minus
Up in Flames
Viva La Vida
Fix You
The Scientist
In My Place
Til Kingdom Come
Clocks

Coldplay Concert Setlist at S.E.C.C., Glasgow on December 3, 2011 | setlist.fm

Was not expecting Daylight to be in the set (EPIC!), but I think there should be more songs from Mylo Xyloto on there.

"Daylight," huh? Fucking nails. And it's worth mentioning that the current treatment of "God Put a Smile" is unreal good.

Hoping they add a few more songs. That set doesn't excite me much. Cool to see Daylight and What If, one of the better X&Y songs, but there's so much they could add to that! And where the fuck is the Parachutes love?

Hoping they add a few more songs. That set doesn't excite me much. Cool to see Daylight and What If, one of the better X&Y songs, but there's so much they could add to that! And where the fuck is the Parachutes love?

Completely agree, but it's only the first leg of the tour. They're playing Manchester tonight, so I'm not expecting much change in the set.

Throughout the tour, they're going to be giving the crowd radio-controlled "glowbands". They were simultaneously turned on when the show started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLQjhdNSErE

That's pretty cool.

No Princess of China and so little representation from Para-Para-Parachutes is disappointing. A good time to revive a Don't Panic or Spies.

I love that What if has been revived.

No change in the setlist at the Manchester show. The Coldplay forums/fan sites are outraged. Now they know how we sometimes feel about U2? :wink: Correct setlist order below.

Back to the Future Theme
--
Mylo Xyloto
Hurts Like Heaven
Yellow
Lost!
Major Minus
In My Place
What If
Daylight
Violet Hill
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
The Scientist
Up in Flames
Til Kingdom Come
Politik
Viva La Vida
Charlie Brown
Paradise
--
Clocks
Fix You
Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

Songs I think should be in the set: Don't Let It Break Your Heart, Up With The Birds, Princess of China, Lovers In Japan, Shiver, One I Love, Moses, Amsterdam.

Mylo Xlyloto/Hurts Like Heaven has to be a great opener.

Not my idea of a good Coldplay set beyond that.

Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven has to be a great opener.

Not my idea of a good Coldplay set beyond that.

It's been opening all of their shows since June, I think. I've seen videos of it, and it's the perfect way to start a show, I think better than Life In Technicolor/Violet Hill. To me, songs like Yellow & In My Place are too early in the set, and I'm surprised Charlie Brown and Paradise are the closers of the main set. And only one encore? They're basically playing for 90 minutes now.

The only songs I would take out would be Til Kingdom Come and Up In Flames. Other than that, the set is not bad.

I think people need to give them time to sort things out.

And where is the forum? I can't find it on the website.

Completely agree, usually setlists evolve and become longer as the tour goes on. Oh, and the forum is on a fan site, not the official Coldplay website.

COLDPLAY :: COLDPLAYING.COM

This may finally be a Coldplay tour since Rush of Blood I want to see live.

The new record has some great songs and their back catalogue (even from the shitty X&Y) has a ton of crowd-pleasers at this point.

on last night's UK X Factor (i had to watch it, my daughter made me :D ), Dermot the presenter said "and the biggest band in the world will be performing for next week's final!", and i was just about to raise an eyebrow, and he said "yes, Coldplay!"

pah! in their dreams mate!! :shame:

Completely agree, but it's only the first leg of the tour. They're playing Manchester tonight, so I'm not expecting much change in the set.

Throughout the tour, they're going to be giving the crowd radio-controlled "glowbands". They were simultaneously turned on when the show started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLQjhdNSErE

That's pretty cool.

It has me excited for the North American tour that I'm hoping they announce very soon. :reject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ECX3m5pHo&feature=share

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom