Cocteau Twins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Anyone remember this old gem of a band? Elizabeth Fraser sings like she's from another planet, and I don't think anyone has ever come close to imitating her.

Melon

I love them. Haven't heard much since Heaven or Las Vegas, but the three or four albums I have I really enjoy.

I love that otherworldly quality of their music. :yes:

it's the 90's, melon, get used to it.

cocteau twins? more like...cocteau 1980's!!!

...sorry.

yes, they're one of the only good things to come out during their time. in my opinion anyway.

Definitely some interesting textures on The Pink Opaque. Lorelei has been frequenting my song playlist as of late.

The Cocteau Twins seem to have a broad set of descendent fans (mostly of the post-rock genre), but they have received very little mainstream recognition... I guess they filled the second generation Velvet Underground niche for quite a few artists.

Still mad that they cancelled for coachella this past year...I was very excited to see them! Ah, well...

jkayet said:
Still mad that they cancelled for coachella this past year...I was very excited to see them! Ah, well...

I didnt think they where still together!? (since 96?)
Elizabeth Fraser was one of those singers with no need for words! It could have been the phone book, it could have been quantum physics she was singing.........

:bow:

She used to date Jeff Buckley too!

"Please beware of them that stare
They only smile to see you while
Your time away"

reptile said:

Imagine if they'd had kids...they'd have like supernaturally amazing voices.

:sad:

Back on topic -- I've only heard one or two songs by this band but I'd quite like to hear more. What album would you recommend starting with?

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Imagine if they'd had kids...they'd have like supernaturally amazing voices.

Back on topic -- I've only heard one or two songs by this band but I'd quite like to hear more. What album would you recommend starting with?
Stars and Topsoil
a collection 1982-1990

If they had of had kids!!!! What a legacy to live up to!

Is it just me or does 'Carolyn's Fingers' sound like 'Where the streets have no name'........
Whered everybody go?

reptile said:
Elizabeth Fraser was one of those singers with no need for words!

And, yet, "Cocteau Twins" songs still had actual lyrics. It's amusing sometimes trying to follow along to the lyrics and wondering how the hell she came up with her version. :wink:

Melon

Liz Fraser sung on Massive Attack's 'Teardrop', if I remember correctly. I haven't heard much other stuff by The Cocteau Twins.
:(

Yes I was amazed to find out about Cocteau Twin lyric websites.

I was totally in love with them the first time I heard them but I'm taking a bit more of a revisionist view towards them now. Personally I can't take too much Liz Fraser at a single sitting.

You may of heard 'Song for the Siren' which was a Tim Buckley song (another Buckley conection!)

LOve the Kenneth pic by the way

reptile said:
You may of heard 'Song for the Siren' which was a Tim Buckley song (another Buckley conection!)

LOve the Kenneth pic by the way

Cheers!

My friend loves the Cocteau Twins, so I have heard bits of them - she did me a copy of one of their albums once which I thought was good - I think it was Heaven or Las Vegas, but I lost it. :(

Tilli said:

Cheers!

My friend loves the Cocteau Twins, so I have heard bits of them - she did me a copy of one of their albums once which I thought was good - I think it was Heaven or Las Vegas, but I lost it. :(

Ah but dont most people lose in Las Vegas :)huh: )
Are you north or south?
We should start a 'Carry On' thread.....
erm,,,cocteau twins......anybody agree with my earlier observation regarding similarity between 'Carolyns fingers' and 'Streets'?

reptile said:

Ah but dont most people lose in Las Vegas :)huh: )
Are you north or south?

lol!

Indeed, I think even the cocteau twins actually refer to it as their great 'lost' album.:huh: :huh:

If you are refering to geographical location, I am a Midlander!! :wink:

Tilli said:

lol!

Indeed, I think even the cocteau twins actually refer to it as their great 'lost' album.:huh: :huh:

If you are refering to geographical location, I am a Midlander!! :wink:

Tee Hee!
Lost in space!
I grew up, 'up north'
cocteau twins....
its confusing being in more than one thread at a time, dont u think?:ohmy:

reptile said:

Tee Hee!
Lost in space!
I grew up, 'up north'
cocteau twins....
its confusing being in more than one thread at a time, dont u think?:ohmy:

Yes :crazy:- and you have even started asking questions at the end of your posts in this one, lol!:wink:

Where abouts in the north?:wink:

Tilli said:

Yes :crazy:- and you have even started asking questions at the end of your posts in this one, lol!:wink:

Where abouts in the north?:wink:

i am so confused (& Guinness doesnt help)

.....wait for it.....heard of a place called Skelmersdale?

......for the sake of continuity...cocteau twins.....

I'm a devotee of the Twins, seen them live loads of times and have a great gig stash on cd. if you want to speak to a twin, advertise a bootleg gig on ebay and within 24 hours you will get busted by a real life ex member, who runs a record label in the states and watches Ebay like a hawk!

reptile said:

I didnt think they where still together!? (since 96?)
Elizabeth Fraser was one of those singers with no need for words! It could have been the phone book, it could have been quantum physics she was singing.........

:bow:

She WHAT!!!!!! :faint:

Sometime in the depths of the mid 80s I spent far too much buying import vinyl of theirs. I would listen to this otherworldly music and then read interviews in the Melody Maker of them getting pissed and how Liz couldn't do anything, even put on her make up, with having a how-to list with her! :lol:

Must go for a look in the shed....

pauhpauh said:
I'm a devotee of the Twins, seen them live loads of times and have a great gig stash on cd. if you want to speak to a twin, advertise a bootleg gig on ebay and within 24 hours you will get busted by a real life ex member, who runs a record label in the states and watches Ebay like a hawk!

Oooh if it's Simon, yeah.....:drool:

reptile said:
Is it just me or does 'Carolyn's Fingers' sound like 'Where the streets have no name'........

I don't think it does. It reminds me at times of early "Slowdive" music.

Melon

melon said:

I don't think it does. It reminds me at times of early "Slowdive" music.

Melon
Slowdive? Thats a Siouxsie & the Banshees song:wink:
Just listen to the Guitar part, its the 'Streets' riff backwards, and the bass line isnt to far off what Adam plays either.
Somebody has to agree with me on this, otherwise i'll go :crazy:

I was listening closer to the singing. It makes me think she's singing in the "Scots" language/dialect. Or maybe I'm just thinking too much into this. They are from Scotland, though.

"Scots" is also the language/dialect that Irvine Welsh (author of "Trainspotting") writes in most of the time.

Melon

The Cocteau Twins are certainly a top 5 band. Lorelei is a GREAT song. Recently I have been listening to Victorialand lately - an album beyond space and time. Up until Heaven or Las Vegas - they were Masters of the craft.

The Cocteau Twins were/are a great group. The lead singer is the queen of good melencholy music. I still listen to Garlands and Heaven Or Las Vegas to this day.

Back
Top Bottom