Clarence Clemons Suffers Stroke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't find the Bomb Scare Show on Youtube, maybe later I'll upload the audio to this on there so you can hear it yourself, but this is a great story Bruce told about meeting Clarence (Bruce, mind you, was plastered beyond all reason while he told this story)

so we walk on and all of a sudden we seen, we seen this white mist, a mist, just like the mist that was in ´The Crawling Eye´, as I remember....coming down at the end of the boardwalk....slowly the mist opened up ....and out from the mist walked this dude....walking like it was 85 degrees, like the sun was shining, walking cool and dressed in white from head to foot

so....and what was worse it was four in the morning and I wasn´t sure but Steve said that he was definitely carrying....a saxophone....this could trouble you at four in the morning, the seemingly insignificant things that (chuckles)....now I wanna tell you (chuckles)(Steve: ´Come on, tell us´) I will, we figured....this must be some new implement of terror....this must be some new instrument of total destruction that was soon gonna rain upon our heads....(Steve: ´What are you trying to say, is this something gonna put a hurt on us ?´)

I was planning to sacrifice Steve to whatever, so, so....we ducked in this doorway, tried to keep out of the way....just stood in there....dark, raining (?)....then we heard the footsteps coming closer....now we heard the footsteps coming even closer than that.....I was feeling pretty bad, you know, (?) that bad that you feel down in your stomach, you know, (?) feeling bad

sure enough, to win, this cat did not pass us by in the night....but reached out into the doorway....turned (?) looking right at me and Steve....(?)....Steve was real scared....I think I, I wasn´t scared at all, I was like....I was....wasn´t scared, I couldn´t´ve cared less, I walked right out of that doorway and ran so fast home (chuckles) no, I didn´t, I couldn´t, you can´t desert your band members, when you´re the leader of the band, you´ve got show some moral fiber, you can´t desert your boys

So....I look up to this dude....I figured I´d try to make some conversation, right, talk about the weather, ask him where he got (?)....he wasn´t too talkative, was the silent type....all he did was....(?)....reached out my hand....and when we touched, it was like the sparks fly on E Street...´´

And then the song began :)

Ahhh yes, they were a drinking at the PFFFFFISSSTTTTTERRRRR

Yes!

I just read the WHOLE ramble, I forgot there's a lot more to it than just that, but it's a big block of text, and I'd rather just post the audio, so I suppose I should do that now.

Yes!

I just read the WHOLE ramble, I forgot there's a lot more to it than just that, but it's a big block of text, and I'd rather just post the audio, so I suppose I should do that now.

Every time I pass the Pfister hotel downtown I think of that.

Such a huge loss to Bruce, his family and friends, his fans and the entire rock community. I'm definitely mourning right now. I don't know if I want to just go in head first and listen to a ton of Bruce material to celebrate the Big Man's career, or just leave it be for a while. His contributions were always the most soulful and stirring to me, and I'm already emotional enough right now. But enough about how I'm handling this...I just hope everyone remembers Clarence not only as a terrific saxophonist, but a terrific human being and integral part of what the E Street Band represented. Such an awesome dude, and I am so very sad that I'll never get to see him perform live now. Bruce will continue on with his music, but the E Street Band will never be the same.

Rest in peace, Big Man.

Very well said. And like bono_212 all could think was, now we've lost both of rock's great iconic sax players following Leroi's passing.

from Bruce's website:

It is with overwhelming sadness that we inform our friends and fans that at 7:00 tonight, Saturday, June 18, our beloved friend and bandmate, Clarence Clemons passed away. The cause was complications from his stroke of last Sunday, June 12th.

Bruce Springsteen said of Clarence: Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years. He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band.
:sad:

Dear God. This is incredibly hard news to handle. At the same time, I'm not as upset as I expected to be, should the worst have occurred. I think that has something to do with the idea that a person as talented as himself may never have been able to do that which he had been blessed to do. He lived to a very decent age, and he did great things while he was alive. To not be able to use your gifts any longer, through all the pain he had already been in...well I think you can see what I'm getting at.

I will cherish always the two shows I was able to see him at, especially the fact that at both shows, I am sure I got a nod, smile and wave from him as I cheered him as loud as best I could during each and every one of his solos, not just the big ones.

As a saxophone player, my two biggest favorite pop sax players are now gone. In my life, I had had a few chances to see Dave Matthews Band, and I always passed up that opportunity in order to save the money or go to other gigs because I figured, "Hey, they're young, I'll have other opportunities." When LeRoi Moore died, it shook me quite a bit, and it was at that point that I decided I had to see Bruce one more time, and I was incredibly glad I did. I was given the opportunity to see one of the greatest shows, most people argue, Bruce has done since the 70s, and I once again was afforded the opportunity to hear the Big Man play those melodies which many of us hold so dear.

I loved that guy, in my own way, not knowing him personally of course, and I had always hoped I'd have the opportunity to see him again, but I'm glad I was given the chances I was. The music he gave us, of course, will always live on, and for that, I'm quite grateful.

And now, I have finally started to make myself cry, so I think I'm done.

:up:

R.I.P. :sad:

R.I.P. Clarence. He embodied all of the soul and joy of the saxophone, and he was a truly gifted musician in terms jazz and blues - in that sense he represented the essence of rock and roll.

:sad:
This is the first news I saw when I woke up a few minutes ago. So sad. He was such a warm and generous man, iconic, larger than life. And his contributions to Bruce's music are immeasurable. He will be missed. Very much.
R.I.P. Clarence.

I can't find the Bomb Scare Show on Youtube, maybe later I'll upload the audio to this on there so you can hear it yourself, but this is a great story Bruce told about meeting Clarence (Bruce, mind you, was plastered beyond all reason while he told this story)

And then the song began :)

Stevie... that's what we needed... a saxophone!
(Just listened to that performance of The E Street Shuffle, all 25 glorious minutes of it)

RIP. The first I heard of his death was at the Anaheim show last night when Bono dedicated "Moment of Surrender" to Clarence, Bruce and the E Street Band. As much as Clarence was an E Street fixture, it's easy to tell he was well respected by many other artists as well for his talent. Will be pulling out some Bruce songs tonight.

Back
Top Bottom