Christmas Songs That Dont Suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jive Turkey

ONE love, blood, life
So, its less than a month away and we've started being bombarded with middle of the road Christmas music. This thread will hopefully serve as a safe haven from such atrocities. Post links to Christmas music that doesnt make the baby Jesus cry. I'll start off with one of the finest around

YouTube - The Pogues & Kirsty McColl - Fairytale Of New York (Xmas Song)

Old or new, it doesnt matter. post if it doesnt suck

And I should add that if anyone posts that horrid McCartney synth abortion, Santa will take a dump in your stocking

acharliebrownchristmaswc0.jpg

Hear it. Know it. Love it. Probably not all you need as far as Christmas music is concerned, but it's the only full album of it that I ever bother with.

Also, before anyone else gets to it:

YouTube - The Kinks -- Father Christmas (better audio)

I'm a big time traditionalist when it comes to Christmas music. There are very little contemporary or even fairly modern takes I enjoy, and most pop Christmas songs are cringe worthy. Give me Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole and I'm good to go. The aforementioned Vince Guaraldi Trio album is also in my pantheon.

That being said, I do enjoy Sufjan's Christmas stuff and liked the recent Dylan Christmas album. Both will be getting spins around Chez Impy this season.

I listened to that during Christmas 1995 and found I could see around corners.

That whole Sarah McLachlan CD is just great.

I'm a sucker for the oldies as well. Nat King Cole's version of The Christmas Song is my all-time favorite. Those strings! Swoon!

I like the U2 version of the Darlene Love song, but the original is better. A lot of that Phil Spector album is really great, although there are a few real clunkers on it.

Ella Fitzgerald's A Swingin' Christmas is great, and of course A Charlie Brown Christmas is just the best.

I also love the big ol' choirs singing Christmas music. Some of the traditional stuff, but also the classical lesser-known stuff in Latin. One of my all-time faves is a Christmas album by The King's Singers, who are sublime.

YouTube - O Little Town Of Bethlehem

This song is one of my all-time favorite Christmas songs. It makes me cry pure little tears.

YouTube - The Gift (Simple Gifts)

One more, a favorite for the swoon-worthy harmonies. Really, really great version:

YouTube - boyz ii men - Silent Night - The Christmas Collection

It seems that if I were to mention at least one of my favorite Christmas songs "Santa will take a dump in my stocking" so I guess I'll refrain.

My absolute favorite, hands down, is the Springsteen cover of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town".

Back
Top Bottom