Christmas Songs That Dont Suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've brought all my Christmas CDs out of storage, but have not yet listened. Only one new CD bought so far, one of the Christmas CDs by the classical singers Chanticleer.

The last year or so, I find myself getting sick of Christmas music about a third of the way into December if I listen to more than just a few songs here and there, so I've tried to just listen to a few songs every day or two. :wink:

Scums, I know you've mentioned that Sufjan Christmas stuff in the past, and I just checked and all of it is on Spotify. This is a ton of songs. Got it playing loudly right now.

Yeah, 5 EP's worth. Great stuff, I've listened to a few of my favs this year already.

And what would some of those favorites be?

Even though it was super simple, I really liked the opening instrumental take on Silent Night. Silent Night is probably my favorite Christmas song.

And what would some of those favorites be?

Even though it was super simple, I really liked the opening instrumental take on Silent Night. Silent Night is probably my favorite Christmas song.

I'll give you a short list when I get home and have the set in front of me.

Cool. I just finished the first EP and the one that stood out the most was "It's Christmas! Let's Be Glad!"

I've heard it once in full. I have no idea what's prevented Ashley from hearing it, since she probably likes Sufjan more than I do, pretty much based on Illinois alone. It's a great set, although cutting it to 10-15 songs is pretty much what you do by default after the first listen.

Cut a 42 song set down to 10 or 15?

Damn, son. That's basically like saying you don't even like the thing.

Yeah, looking at the track listing, that's a bit harsh. If it were up to me, it would just be originals. There are 17 of those, so if you string them together, you've basically got a new Suffy album. Most of them are strong too.

Then maybe include a second disc of covers, 10-12 of them.

I've heard it once in full. I have no idea what's prevented Ashley from hearing it, since she probably likes Sufjan more than I do, pretty much based on Illinois alone. It's a great set, although cutting it to 10-15 songs is pretty much what you do by default after the first listen.

I just haven't gotten around to it. The last couple of Christmas' I haven't done nearly as much as I wanted to, but this year I am like in manic Christmas mode for some reason. Finally hearing Charlie Brown Christmas was great, and I've already spun the Home Alone soundtrack, which is my personal favorite. AND, I've even finally heard a Trans-Siberian Orchestra album which is something I've wanted to do for a while. Sufjan will likely be next. Likely on Saturday.
(But since I haven't told you in person what we're doing on Saturday yet, I don't want to spoil the surprise)

I think I'm going to update my favorite Christmas songs based on how I've been feeling this year.

1) Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town"
This will likely remain my favorite forever, but this year, I'm more attached to it than ever before. I finally heard it last night, and I didn't realize how emotional it would make me, but hearing Clarence sing his Santa Claus parts definitely choked me up big time.

2) John Williams (sorta) - "We Wish You A Merry Christmas/End Title"
If You've never heard this song, you really should, it's pretty much a suite of all of the music featured in Home Alone and it certainly brightens my day to hear it.

3) Burl Ives - "Holly Jolly Christmas"
Because seriously, it's the funnest song ever recorded.

4) Any version of Carol of the Bells because holy shit yes.

5) "Deck the Halls" - Mannheim Steamroller
Hate this song usually, but their version is just the best

That's just some, I could go on and on, I mean, dang, I didn't even break into a lot of the non-secular stuff. Like, oh my Lord do I love "Angels We Have Heard on High".

I love Christmas. This post is far longer than a post about Christmas music probably should be.

Also, I just noticed that this isn't the thread where I listed my favorite Christmas songs, so this is pretty much new information hooray.

Forgot to mention: GAF, if you really like the album, the $15 box set comes with some great treats for fans.

The box set includes a poster of Sufjan Stevens, an animated short for "Put the Lights on the Tree" by Tom Eaton, an essay by Rick Moody, two original short stories by Stevens, stickers, comics and a sing-a-long book for all five discs.

It really is a terrific set, makes you feel like part of the undoubtedly twee Stevens household.

Forgot to mention: GAF, if you really like the album, the $15 box set comes with some great treats for fans.

The box set includes a poster of Sufjan Stevens, an animated short for "Put the Lights on the Tree" by Tom Eaton, an essay by Rick Moody, two original short stories by Stevens, stickers, comics and a sing-a-long book for all five discs.

It really is a terrific set, makes you feel like part of the undoubtedly twee Stevens household.

All of it for just $15?

That Sufjan set is nice. There's an underlying melancholia to most of the songs that gives it a unique feeling among Christmas albums.

bono_212 said:
All of it for just $15?

Yeah, my set is back in Maryland. I got it the Christmas it came out.

iron yuppie said:
That Sufjan set is nice. There's an underlying melancholia to most of the songs that gives it a unique feeling among Christmas albums.

Yeah, Christmas melancholia seems to work for me. A Charlie Brown Christmas and December by George Winston (I'd highly recommend this if you love piano jazz) are favorites of mine.

Yeah, my set is back in Maryland. I got it the Christmas it came out.

Please explain what good that does us if we're not going to Maryland until January?

That reminds me though, I can't wait to watch Flips Christmas on Mars! Need to probably do that next weekend.

GAF, here are my personal favs from the Sujfan Stivins set:

Disc 1:
Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel
We're Going To The Country
It's Christmas! Let's Be Glad!

Disc 2:
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
I Saw Three Ships
Only At Christmas Time
Once In Royal David's City
What Child Is This Anyway?

Disc 3:
Come On! Let's Boogey To The Elf Dance!
That Was the Worst Christmas Ever!

Disc 4:
It's Christmas Time!
Did I Make You Cry On Christmas Day? (Well You Deserved It!)

Disc5
Sister Winter
Holy, Holy, Holy

I never noticed how many of his originals have exclamation marks in them on this set. Ironically, many of them are the melancholy type songs Yuppers mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom