Chris Cornell, R.I.P.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man I hate lousy writing/editing:

Singer Chris Cornell's death ruled a suicide

He entered rehab in 2002, separating from his first wife, Helen Silver
His ex wife is Susan Silver, former Soundgarden manager

And:
Last summer, bandmates Cameron and Ben Shepherd, who replaced Thayil on bass, said they had written six songs for their next album but did not give a timetable for its release
Shepherd replaced Hiro Yamamoto, Thayil is the guitarist in SG.

What passes for journalism these days is ridonkulous.

Last edited:
Well, Jesus. This is just terrible.

Soundgarden didn't click with me nearly as much as some of the other bands from the "grunge" scene but he was a badass rock and roller and seemed like a genuinely good dude.

Same. What a voice. My favorites of his are You Know My Name and Seasons.

Whenever KEXP plays a string of songs by the same artist, I always hope it's just their birthday and they're not dead. I assumed it was his birthday when I heard the songs this morning getting ready for work. (They played a string of Aretha songs to kick off International Woman's Day, and I panicked.)

Last edited:
I was totally shocked to hear this just now, and then even more shocked to hear it was suicide, and right after he had played last night. Still wrapping my head around it.

Three of the four big grunge voices are gone...only Vedder remains. So, so sad.

Black Hole Sun is one of those decade-defining singles for me.

:sad:

I pretty much only know the big songs from the groups he's been in, but I've always liked them. He had a great rock voice.

Whenever KEXP plays a string of songs by the same artist, I always hope it's just their birthday and they're not dead. I assumed it was his birthday when I heard the songs this morning getting ready for work. (They played a string of Aretha songs to kick off International Woman's Day, and I panicked.)

I know the feeling. I get nervous whenever I see a segment on a musician pop up somewhere or see them trending online or something, too.

Hearing about his cause of death is just...damn. How awful. I feel for his friends and family.

I know Chris dealt with depression for a good portion of his life, but I'm surprised he chose to kill himself. He seemed like he was gonna live a good long life. Especially since he has kids who are relatively young. A damn shame.

Kurt Cobain

Layne Staley

Scott Weiland

... Chris Cornell

What a fucking waste of great talent. :doh:

So I've had time to process this.

I was groggy this morning because I drank wine and listened to the U2 show last night and hung out in the set list party thread. I think I got 6 hours of sleep. I woke up checked my Instagram feed and someone I follow posted Chris's pic without a caption and I didn't think much about it. I kept scrolling and Amoeba Records posted a collage of Chris pics and before I got to the caption my tired mind thought "oh, it must be Chris' birthday".. but then I read the caption.

I was gutted. I guess it's just the fact that his death seems so unexpected. Soundgarden was my "other band" as a teenager in the 90s. My other of course being U2. I seriously worshipped Cornell and Co. the way I did U2.

When they broke up in 1997 it was hard for me to listen to them for a while. I followed Chris through his solo ventures to a point. I never really climbed aboard the Audioslave train and the album Soundgarden put out was good but for me it didn't hold up the way their older material did. But I was glad they were back together because they kept the legacy going.

I always admired Chris and his talents. His voice was legendary and the work he put out with Soundgarden was so different than the other bands from Seattle. They were quirky and introspective, funny and serious, intentionally dumb and smart at times.

The sole line from their biggest hit has been stuck in my head all day has been "heaven sent hell away/no one sings like you anymore".

:/

So I've had time to process this.

I was groggy this morning because I drank wine and listened to the U2 show last night and hung out in the set list party thread. I think I got 6 hours of sleep. I woke up checked my Instagram feed and someone I follow posted Chris's pic without a caption and I didn't think much about it. I kept scrolling and Amoeba Records posted a collage of Chris pics and before I got to the caption my tired mind thought "oh, it must be Chris' birthday".. but then I read the caption.

I was gutted. I guess it's just the fact that his death seems so unexpected. Soundgarden was my "other band" as a teenager in the 90s. My other of course being U2. I seriously worshipped Cornell and Co. the way I did U2.

When they broke up in 1997 it was hard for me to listen to them for a while. I followed Chris through his solo ventures to a point. I never really climbed aboard the Audioslave train and the album Soundgarden put out was good but for me it didn't hold up the way their older material did. But I was glad they were back together because they kept the legacy going.

I always admired Chris and his talents. His voice was legendary and the work he put out with Soundgarden was so different than the other bands from Seattle. They were quirky and introspective, funny and serious, intentionally dumb and smart at times.

The sole line from their biggest hit has been stuck in my head all day has been "heaven sent hell away/no one sings like you anymore".

:/

"Love was my drug but that's not what I died of" that's from Temple of the Dog Reach Down.

He was very intelligent and his lyrics were clever much like Bono's my other favorite band also

Have never listened to Soundgarden or Audioslave or anything to do with him but still feel sad. How terrible.

There's a video on youtube that I saw years ago where he mashed up U2 and Metallica's One... check it out, just unbelievable.... :sad:

Is it good?

A review of last night's show. According to the writer, he seemed very 'off.' Ugh.

Chris Cornell's final performance: Something clearly wasn’t right

Wow, this is hard to read.

I was fortunate to catch Soundgarden at MSG when they opened for Guns N Roses in the Fall of '91. All I remember from that show was that it was really fucking loud and Chris' voice pierced your soul. I was kind of a passive fan of Soundgarden. Like any rock music fan of the 90's, I had Superunknown in my CD library and played the shit out of it. Like a Suicide was one of my favorites from that album.

It's tremendously sad that this is the way that Cornell's life story had to end. :sad:

I never listed to Soundgarden outside of the regular radio play. Their music didn't catch me like Pearl Jam did, so I never paid attention. (Although Chris Cornell did Times of Trouble, which turned into one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs).

A couple years ago I listened to that acoustic U2/Metallica thing he did and I was blown away by his voice. I then fell down the rabbit hole of his acoustic stuff on YouTube and was thoroughly blown away. One of the best voices I've ever heard if not the best.

He seemed like a genuinely nice, down to earth guy. Sad day.

He'll probably mention Chris Cornell and say something along the lines of "we lost a great singer" and dedicate a song maybe. I can't recall any time Bono acknowledged Soundgarden or Cornell in interviews or anything.

They did that when Amy Winehouse died the day of the Minneapolis show in 2011.

Chris seemed like a guy who had been through a lot of shit, but was genuinely happy and loving life. It's a shock to hear that he killed himself, I'm just glad I got to see him before he left us.

In any discussion of suicide, I always post this number to the suicide prevention hotline: 1-800-273-8255

Yeah I saw bunch of footages from his last performance at Detroit and he sure did look like he was in agony and struggling to sing. It felt surreal that it was literally the last show he's ever played in his life

I've never been a connoisseur of Soundgarden/Audioslave, but this is so sad, and my grunge mates are really feeling it. [emoji853]

He had SUCH a vocal, so powerful and distinctive.

Only now have I come to realise how remarkably catchy his vocal melodies are in the handful of songs I know, especially Black Hole Sun and You Know My Name.

Just shattering.

My sister had me watch his cover of I Will Always Love You at an Obama event shortly after Whitney Houston died. He definitely had a way of covering songs with just a guitar and his voice, no matter how you look at it.

https://youtu.be/KOvH5LSH9Sw

I heard Audioslave's Shadow On the Sun on the way home yesterday as well. That vocal at the end... even with the effect and all, wow.

https://youtu.be/dfF4t9-wpCM

I never listed to Soundgarden outside of the regular radio play. Their music didn't catch me like Pearl Jam did, so I never paid attention. (Although Chris Cornell did Times of Trouble, which turned into one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs).

A couple years ago I listened to that acoustic U2/Metallica thing he did and I was blown away by his voice. I then fell down the rabbit hole of his acoustic stuff on YouTube and was thoroughly blown away. One of the best voices I've ever heard if not the best.

He seemed like a genuinely nice, down to earth guy. Sad day.

His solo stuff really shows off his vocal range and song writing ability...it's great stuff.

When I got home last night, MTV Classic was playing a marathon of Cornell videos (Soundgarden, Audioslave, TOTD and solo).
Had never seen the video for Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart before, but jeez...

Maybe MTV should have left it out of the rotation (and maybe Pretty Noose as well).

Back
Top Bottom