Chinese Democracy, Nov 25, through Best Buy ??? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #91
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Plague Rock.

Nice.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:01 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:00 PM

Old 11-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:00 AM
I have to say that even though songs like There Was A Time and Catcher In The Rye sound somewhat better now on what is my 4th listen of the myspace stream, they still seem to ramble on for too long. But the album overall does seems more listenable now. It's not flat out boring like on the first and second listens. I'm still skipping Shackler's Revenge though.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Finally took a listen to this. At least it's not a disaster; some songs aren't too bad. But overall, it's probably not something I would listen to that much. It really is nothing like the older albums.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #95
Refugee

Its Not Guns N Roses, its Axl "Washed Out" Rose. Rant Time!

Axl Rose, I am sorry, but you ruined guns n roses. First you push all your former band members who were the heart and soul of the band to the edge, forcing them to quit because of your abusive dictatorship. You then put the "band" in a totally different musical direction, but not in a good way. You took little retards from nine inch nails, after going through a million and one line up changes. You made your fans wait for 14 years, for a terrible album. This is not Guns N Roses, this is Axl Rose Fea. Nine Inch Nails. Axl, I am sorry to say you have disgraced the name Guns N Roses. Today, all your concerned about is making money, and not the fans. Grow a pair, and make up with Slash. Guns N Roses is not Guns N Roses without your former crew. The album is totally crap, and when you play live and do older songs, it really pisses me off. Axl, you really need to get your head out of your ass. I have nothing more to say.

and yes I actually listened to the whole album. Street of Dreams was the only ok song, but it totally ripped off november rain.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Plague Rock.

Nice.

why did I thought of Limp Biskit when I saw that?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Its Not Guns N Roses, its Axl "Washed Out" Rose. Rant Time!

Axl Rose, I am sorry, but you ruined guns n roses. First you push all your former band members who were the heart and soul of the band to the edge, forcing them to quit because of your abusive dictatorship. You then put the "band" in a totally different musical direction, but not in a good way. You took little retards from nine inch nails, after going through a million and one line up changes. You made your fans wait for 14 years, for a terrible album. This is not Guns N Roses, this is Axl Rose Fea. Nine Inch Nails. Axl, I am sorry to say you have disgraced the name Guns N Roses. Today, all your concerned about is making money, and not the fans. Grow a pair, and make up with Slash. Guns N Roses is not Guns N Roses without your former crew. The album is totally crap, and when you play live and do older songs, it really pisses me off. Axl, you really need to get your head out of your ass. I have nothing more to say.

and yes I actually listened to the whole album. Street of Dreams was the only ok song, but it totally ripped off november rain.
Hey, Pac Mule, that was some rant.

For starters, I believe the expression is washed "up", not washed out. You do have a couple of valid points though. Axl did pretty much get rid of the heart and soul of Guns N' Roses by forcing all of the original members of the band out and he did shift the band into a new musical direction. But aside from that, I couldn't disagree more with you.

Last I checked, there was only one former member of Nine Inch Nails playing with Axl and that was drummer Robin Finck. Now, as a fan of NIN, I can tell you that the new Guns N' Roses doesn't really sound much like NIN.

Now, if Axl were only concerned about making money, Chinese Democracy would've been released in 1995 instead of 2008. You don't make much money waiting 8 years to tour again or 15 years to release an album of new material, so making money wasn't exactly the primary focus. Besides, Axl makes plenty of money from G n' R's back catalog. He didn't need to release this album, but he chose to see it to its completion anyway.

Yes, everyone from the original line-up is gone, but its not like that's never happened to a band before. When David Gilmour decided to release a new Pink Floyd album back in the 80's, he pretty much released a David Gilmour solo album and called it Pink Floyd. He too enlisted the services of many musicians to make his "Pink Floyd" album. Plus, when Ozzy and Dio were both done with Black Sabbath, Tony Iommi kept the the Sabbath machine rolling by employing an ever changing line-up of musicians and lead singers, so Axl's band changes aren't really that unprecedented.

Now, honestly, with Axl being the control freak that he is, would you honestly expect Slash or Duff to stick around and deal with Axl's bullshit forever? The answer is "NO". It was inevitable that Axl would get rid of everybody and be the last man standing from the old Guns N' Roses.

If seeing new Guns N' Roses play old songs really pisses you off, I suggest you no longer attend their shows.

Finally, if you think Street of Dreams rips off November Rain, I suggest you listen to both songs again. While both songs' themes may be similar, they sound nothing alike.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think the comparison to Pink Floyd is a good one, as three of the four members were still in the group - only Waters was gone. Here, you only have one member remaining.

That said, I understand the point you are making.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I don't think the comparison to Pink Floyd is a good one, as three of the four members were still in the group - only Waters was gone. Here, you only have one member remaining.

That said, I understand the point you are making.
To further clarify the Pink Floyd situation, initially it was Gilmour and Mason who attempted to revive the Pink Floyd brand after Waters left the group. After moving forward with the project, Mason himself admitted he was out of practice drumming and another drummer was brought in to take over certain tracks. Gilmour also used a drum machine as well. Richard Wright re-joined the group during these recording sessions, but he was essentially a salaried employee with zero group input. So yes, you had Gilmour, but Mason and Wright were pretty much lumped in with the dozens of musicians that Gilmour had hired for the production of the album. In 1994, when Pink Floyd released The Division Bell, they were more truly Pink Floyd because Mason and Wright were once again bonafied members/contributors of Pink Floyd.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Well, if you want to get technical, then yes, Wright was a salaried employee, but Mason was a bonafide member still, despite his limited input.

So you had two official members still, with a third co-founder still involved. So no, it's not exactly the same.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Well, if you want to get technical, then yes, Wright was a salaried employee, but Mason was a bonafide member still, despite his limited input.

So you had two official members still, with a third co-founder still involved. So no, it's not exactly the same.
Well, I look at it as one official member, with the other two guys somewhere in the background along for the ride. But, you are correct, it's not exactly the same.

I'll just stick with my Tony Iommi/Black Sabbath example instead.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #102
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm liking this album more now. lol.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
I'm liking this album more now. lol.
How many times have you listened to it Zoots?
Old 11-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #104
Refugee

I'm glad there are some people out there that can appreciate the music for what it is rather than immediately dismiss it because it's not Slash and Co.

If you're an Axl fan, you're gonna love it.
If you're not an Axl fan, you're gonna hate it.
If you're a casual listener with no pre conceived notions, you're gonna love it after a few listens.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #105
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
How many times have you listened to it Zoots?
About 4 or 5. I mean I still think some tracks are mediocre or boring. But there seems to be a handful of decent songs.

Tags
chinese democracy, gnr, guns n' roses