Cheating in music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cactus Annie

Refugee
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxar
I just wanted to know what you guys thought about this I found on Google. There was 2 other web pages I found on the same subject, one of which appeared to in Swedish or something which I couldn't understand but I have tried to look for them on MSN as well but both have seemed to have dissapered.

freddynet.vox.com/library/post/autotune-overkill.html

Well I used to think that the man had more dignity in himself than to sink so low and copy everyone else. Mary J is a pop singer much like Mariah and Celine. Donna Sotto Morettini said so on page xi and 145 in her book on popular singer. She describes pop music as anything presented in lite form whereby the melody, lyrics and timbre of the voice are pleasant but not outstanding or unsual. She says that although pop singing requires more skill then many types of singing (such as rock singing, which is more about emotion), but is less about honesty and more about craft. They need great pitch and pleasant tone, which can make them seem bland and without style. I always says that if you're more concerned about pitching accurately without any slurs then something has got to give and that something is emotion.

Many singers used to slur their pitch: Stevie Wonder, Louis Armstrong, Robert Plant, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Elvis Presley & Costello, Tom Yorke, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, Billie Holiday, most Blues singers, Patsy Cline, Frank Sinatra, etc, etc.

I was on one forum where this silly woman said that whilst she was listening to Frank she thought he needed autotune! I still think these above singers, including, Bono are better pitchwise than these singers:

Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, Iggy Pop, John Lydon, the singer from Embrace who on his first album seems to be unable to hold a note like Anthony Kiedis (RHCP's use autotune a lot and that's why I snapped the CD in half and put them in the bin.)

I like my singers to have a great or unsual distinctive timbre than be perfectly in tune. Big George agrees with me on this one. Upon hearing Mariah, Celine and Mary in recent weeks on the radio I really don't think they have the most outstanding voices. Not like Alicia Keys, Whitney, Aretha, Tina Turner or Lauryn Hill. But I suppose the thrill of appearing in a bad version of his own song is more important than his reputation.

You snapped a cd in half because the singer used autotune? :eyebrow: I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of everything released these days had autotune used. Or at least 90% of all bands that record digitally (instead of analog).

I agree with the original post. I like when the singers use their NATURAL voice. I prefer singers that may not have the GREATEST voices but sing with EMOTION and RESPECT for the craft - Perry Farrel, the guy from Beirut, right now I'm into Glasvegas who's singer has an thick Scottish accent and tons of emotion. I also like the Motown sound because you can hear the emotion in those songs.

I don't know what autotune is, but it sounds like CHEATING to me. ANd Anthony Keides sucks - Frusciante should take over that band.

I also like Karen O's voice. Also Aimee Mann, but I can't stand her songs. I think Eddie Veddor is outstanding vocally.

I agree with the original post. I like when the singers use their NATURAL voice. I prefer singers that may not have the GREATEST voices but sing with EMOTION and RESPECT for the craft - Perry Farrel, the guy from Beirut, right now I'm into Glasvegas who's singer has an thick Scottish accent and tons of emotion. I also like the Motown sound because you can hear the emotion in those songs.

I don't know what autotune is, but it sounds like CHEATING to me. ANd Anthony Keides sucks - Frusciante should take over that band.

I also like Karen O's voice. Also Aimee Mann, but I can't stand her songs. I think Eddie Veddor is outstanding vocally.

Still opposite day?

If you follow the link and read what the guy says about One with MJB.

Once you've used it once it's bad enough in my opinion. He could have told the producer to stick it up their ass it's his song. But he chose not to. That make him a lying cheating skumbag

So what one guy wrote on a blog makes Bono a lying cheating scumbag? Well then that makes you a... well I'll refrain.

Let me tell you a few things about that song. One it was recorded for the most part in a few takes on a stage not even in a studio, so you don't really have the luxury of a studio recording, secondly this was for MJB album so I doubt Bono had a whole lot of say in production, and third if you've heard the song I'm not sure how anyone can believe it has a lot of autotune. In fact it probably should use a little more, if perfection was what they were going for.

I think autotune is fine as long as you aren't using it throughout the song, which most of the time you can tell if it is... But I see nothing wrong with fixing a bum note here or there, nothing sucks more when you nail a take with the exception of one little note.

in my opinion, autotune is just another tool that can be used in production, like compression or reverb. if an artists wants to use it for a record, that's perfectly fine with me. that being said, i don't see how any credible producer could replace a heartfelt, emotional, and slightly off-pitch vocal track with one that is digitized and lifeless but on pitch. i also believe that the true strength and power of an artist/band can only be seen in a live setting. any artist who is so off key that they have to use pitch correction live ain't worth shit in my book.

I knew a backup singer for Shakira.
When they were recording her album in 2005, the first single used over 200 vocal takes.
Yes, I said 200. That means she sang the vocal 200 times. For one song. They then edited the best parts together for the final recording.
Did she use auto tune? I would bet on it.
So, even if singers are not using autotune, which 90% are, they're doing multiple takes to "get it right" to the extreme.
Hey, even jazz and classical recording do "studio tricks" to fix mistakes these days. It's not uncommon. It's very common. Anyone looking for purity better go back to pre-1963.
Autotune goes wrong when it's obvious. If anyone has actually listened to a Britney Spears or Jennifer Lopez track you know what it sounds like, because it's cranked.
As far as U2 goes, I can't say how much, if at all, Bono has used autotune. Probably some. Maybe quite a bit. But more importantly, he's most likely done many, many takes of tunes in the studio. "With Or Without You", recorded during what was arguably his vocal peak, was most likely at least a dozen takes spliced together.
Have you ever seen the UF documentary? Have you heard the raw vocal takes on "Pride"? Compare that with the album version.....a little different? Yep.

Does that take away from Bono's singing ability? Not to me.
It's a fact of the recording industry.

Listen to Eddie Vedder or Thom Yorke sing live vs. record. Pitchy at times? Hell yeah. Filled with emotion and getting the song across anyway? Hell yeah....

That whole band sucks. Frusciante is wasting his talents.

Let me say I am the last thing but a RHCP fan. Never liked their tunes.
However, Flea and the drummer are great players. The band lacks great tunes delivered by a great vocalist.

I think Flea is an exceptional talent at bass. Chad Smith is nothing special. But musically, that trio could do something special. But they settle for trash. Kiedis is a clown. Poor lyrics, poor delivery, poor voice. The guy just sucks.

I really hate that band and their hype.

I think Flea is an exceptional talent at bass. Chad Smith is nothing special. But musically, that trio could do something special. But they settle for trash. Kiedis is a clown. Poor lyrics, poor delivery, poor voice. The guy just sucks.

I really hate that band and their hype.

:love:Impy

ive seen RHCP several times, they are a good live band, anthony may not be the strongest vocalist but they have written at least one stellar album, blood sugar sex magic

as for autotune, who cares, i have been to recording sessions with amazingly talented singers who do take after take after take after take, its the nature of recording

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom