Cheating in music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brit, did Madonna cheat on Hard Candy??? OMGZ!!!

I listened to it again last night. It's really not that bad! :shifty:

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Shame, BoMac, shame.:tsk:

Hey, I was aware that Ross cheated when he thought he and Rachel were on a break.

And what does London have anything to do with it, eh? :eyebrow: Everyone knows that Rachel went to London to tell Ross her true feelings, only to have it backfire. It has nothing to do with cheating.

:wink:

I really need to get more channels.:doh:

this thread is made of pure, solid, unadulterated

win_button.jpg

This thread deserves to be stickied, just cause. Five stars. Thread of the Year. Or something!

Oh, but I forget, stickying threads is cheating. As is replying to them. As is posting them in the first place.

*head explodes*

Hey, I was aware that Ross cheated when he thought he and Rachel were on a break.

And what does London have anything to do with it, eh? :eyebrow: Everyone knows that Rachel went to London to tell Ross her true feelings, only to have it backfire. It has nothing to do with cheating.

:wink:

I really need to get more channels.:doh:

At that point, I just figured I'd liven things up with random Friends references to see if anyone would pick up on them.

It was the first Friends quote that popped into my head.

Could i BE any more clear? ;)

This is why I'm told I'm the female Chandler. I talk the same way. I noticed the first time when my friends and I were having a first season DVD session and that episode was on when Phoebe, Ross, and Joey were imitating him.

Ross: "The hills are alive with the sound of music. :laugh:

Ok my last message was written when I was :mad:, and it didn't make sense, however my message about Nat King Cole and the use of effects make perfect sense. Here's a Canadian singer who I agree with. Maybe when you read what she said in an interview then you'd understand. What is wrong with you people, you used to be so nice?

]There’s technology like auto tune and pitch shifting so you don’t have to know how to sing. That shit sounds like shit! It’s like that taste in diet soda, I can taste it– and it makes me sick. When I hear auto tune on somebody’s voice, I don’t take them seriously. Or you hear somebody like Alicia Keys, who I know is pretty good, and you’ll hear a little bit of auto tune and you’re like, “You’re too fucking good for that. Why would you let them do that to you? Don’t you know what that means?” It’s not an effect like people try to say, it’s for people like Shania Twain who can’t sing” “Yet there they are, all over the radio, jizzing saccharine all over you. It’s a horrible sound and it’s like, “Shania, spend an extra hour in the studio and you’ll hit the note and it’ll sound fine. Just work on it, it’s not like making a burger!” Case: It’s rough, I know. She’s so rich she could get somebody else to do the other stuff while she spends that extra hour in the studio. Or Madonna! Just hit the note! Don’t pretend it’s William Orbit being crafty– we know you’re not hitting the note because you have other shit to do. You can do it, I have faith in you. But don’t leave the studio before you hit that fucking note. And you know what? When you do hit it you’re going to feel so much more valid that it’ll come through in all the other shit you’re supposed to be doing later in the day. Seriously! And if Celine Dion is supposedly the great singer that she says she is why is there auto tune on every fucking word in her songs? Can’t you just hit it, Celine? Do you have another baby book to shoot? You gotta paint your baby to look like a pot of peas? What are you doing that you can’t be singing in the studio? It’s your fucking job! Case: I’m not a perfect note hitter either but I’m not going to cover it up with auto tune. Everybody uses it, too. I once asked a studio guy in Toronto, “How many people don’t use auto tune?” and he said, “You and Nelly Furtado are the only two people who’ve never used it in here.” Even though I’m not into Nelly Furtado, it kind of made me respect her. It’s cool that she has some integrity/QUOTE]
Yes. How old is Bono? I can understand how this kind of shit can happen to Damian Rice on Cannonball (the guy on the link I gave you used this song as an example) but Bono SHOULD have realized this could happen. But oh no, earning extra for recording on the song meant more. I bet Neco thinks he's a complete dummy also, after hearing it on the radio. Tosser. The producer on that record also produces for Christina Agulira (according to e reviewer in Mojo megazine also uses it) and Black Eyed Peas (according to a producer on a website they use it also). He is also on that really dull programe that put the Pusseycat Dolls together as a judge whereby he critisized a contestant because she was slightly off pitch. I remember him saying that most people wouldn't notice but he could. If most people wouldn't notice does it matter?

I was on this forum and these girls were saying that Mary without autotune is like Jimi Hendrix without his guitar, in other words, she always uses it. Then this other lady said that everytime she hears her cover of One on the radio with "her obnoxious vocal runs" she feels like being sick. Then this other women said that this song was not a cover because they were both performing on it. She said that we should blame Bono because that song was his idea and not her's. If the rest of the band wanted to perform on it that's fine but Bono should have preserved his integrity.

Another warning sign was when they were performing on the stage and he couldn't hear himself properly. He should have put down his guitar said he needed toilet and climbed out the bathroom window. U2 wrote the song and they have the final say.That's why I agree with Neco when she said that Madonna can't lay the blame with William Orbit. She even thinks Shania Twain is being lazy. Someone on these forums that I stake out said that he heard sing live on an awards ceremony once and she sang well. Yeah, Shania's lazy.

I think the producer is mainly at fault because he could hear him sing, why couldn't he rectify the situation?

See Nelly Furtado doesn't use it either

For the 4 th time when I was talking about effects in music I was refering to this quote by this gentlemen here:

FYI auto-tune has only been around since about 96/97.

Nearly the entire genre of hip-hop could be described as cheating.
Samples, loops, drum machines, auto-tune/pitch correction.

Digitial recording itself is fucking cheating, when you get right down to it.
If everyone who got on their high horse about certain techniques, knew quite frankly how easy it ALL was, we wouldn't have to have these snobbish arguments.

I loathe the digital pitch correction (auto-tune).
Hate it, hate it, hate it. The actual sound, the laziness, the insincerity.
But it's not anymore chaeting than a programmed drum track.
Are you ready to throw out all your albums with canned beats?

Bono sang thru a distortion pedal on The Fly to sound more creepy and to boost his lower range. In fact, almost all singers (even the Indie bands) have to do something to bring the voice up because it's naturally a weaker tone than the amplified instruments. Boosting volume alone sometimes doesn't give the desired effect. Sure, not all of them do it but you certainly can tell the difference. It all depends on the sound of the original instrument. Most of these people just don't have the pipes. We want it to sound good don't we?

Thom Yorke is fucking notorious for tricking up his voice.
You want to know why Pitchfork hasn't gone on a digi-vox rant?
They know all of this. The voice is an instrument.

I don't want to sound AT ALL like I am defending that horrid auto-tuning bullshit.
But if it's 'cheating' then we are gonna have to talk about all of it in the same light.
I can make a hip hop song (sans vox) in 5 minutes that might sound something like a Kanye West track. Lay down some drum beats, get a loop from an old record, voila. Now, would it really sound like something that Kanye might have poured months into? Would it have the same heart, the same feeling, the same groove/textures?

Of course not.
But if one is cheating, it's all cheating.
Because the mechanics are the same.

You cannot criticize a singer for using effects in music, like this man says effects are necessary. That's the whole point of my post about Nat King Cole's version of when I Fall In Love. This young man is right. When you buy CD's of old singers from the 60 and 50's, and you compare them to CD's that have been recorded in the 00's you can tell the sound quality is much better. Geez, I even compared an example you can listen to on You Tube and yet you still didn't get me.

However, where me and U2fan disagree is what he says about samples. If you think that then you'd also say that cover versions are also cheating. In fact samples are probably not as bad as covers because samples usualy mean that an artist has been inspired by a tune of an original song but they have put there own slant on it. For example: Beyonce's Crazy In Love sampled the entire backing track of a Chillets song but she wrote her own lyrics to it. 2 Pac's Changes samples the pretty piano melody of The Way It Is which was originally recorded by a band called Bruce Hornby And The Range. What 2 Pac then did was write his own rap for it and kept the chorus of the original song in there as well.

BTW I don't like rap. Other than Run DMC. It's Like That is awsooomeeeee

IN a magazine I read, I think it maybe this months Mojo, Edge was asked to pick his favorite track of the year. I forget what it was now but he said liked this particular track because the production is very raw. He says that as a fan of music the last thing you want to hear on a rock record is perfection. He says it takes away the character of the recording.So that basically confirms what I wanted from you guys when I started this thread in the first place. That they won't use it.

I wanted to hear BonoVoxSupastar to say that they never used it the U218 disc, Bonocomet to pipe up and say that it wasn't used on the U2 3D film, Corianderstem to say that on all the recent remasters, she's never heard it. Then U2Fanatic will say that it is wrong to use it . This is eactly what people from other U2 forums have said about it. This one guy said he hated Hobastank and Maroon 5 because they use it. On the discussion page on Autotune in wikepedia and many many other sites I've been on everyone hates it.

I can hear it on the one record

I wanted to hear BonoVoxSupastar to say that they never used it the U218 disc, Bonocomet to pipe up and say that it wasn't used on the U2 3D film, Corianderstem to say that on all the recent remasters, she's never heard it.

I'm sorry, but what the hell are you talking about? Why are you wanting some sort of confirmation from some of us? I don't give an honest to god shit whether or not Bono has ever used autotune.

I don't care if Mary J Blige uses autotune.

I don't care if any singers I like use autotune. I don't care if they suck on vocal lozenges. I don't care if at night they go home, put on a bear costume and go to bed with woodland creatures.

Seriously, you are completely, ridiculously obsessed with all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom