Cheating in music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I agree with impy's RHCP sentiments, but Chad Smith nothing special?? He's pretty fucking good. I saw him, Johnny and Flea on trumpet do a half-hour total improvisational jam two year back.

But yes, Keidis sucks. Blood Sugar is overrated too.

ive seen RHCP several times, they are a good live band, anthony may not be the strongest vocalist but they have written at least one stellar album, blood sugar sex magic

Blood Sugar Sex Magic sucks in my opinion; and the main reason...Anthony. Sure his lyrics are normally stupid and make zero sense but on that album they are just beyond awful. Californication is a much strong album in my opinion, even though it turns bad halfway through, the first half of it and Road Trippin' are just brilliance.

its funny folks who hate the band know so much about each album and the members, i only own a few albums, i grew up listening to them and other bands, i have seen live a few times and thought they were very good

that is my opinion

oh and i also like u2, go figure

I'd just like to personally say I don't hate the band; I own four albums, it's more just I've never really loved any of their albums but they can write great songs.

its funny folks who hate the band know so much about each album and the members

It's because they're friggin ubiquitous. For a while they were all over TV, their videos were on constantly, and every other radio song was RHCP. It's probably harder to NOT know about them. The other day my mother was hatin on BSSM and my father was like, "Hey, it's not Mother's Milk, but come on!" It was crazy.

Vocal Aid?

We've had Live Aid, Farm Aid, The Office had Crime Aid, South Park had Chef Aid.

Now there's Vocal Aid. Is it like Band Aid?

FYI auto-tune has only been around since about 96/97.

Nearly the entire genre of hip-hop could be described as cheating.
Samples, loops, drum machines, auto-tune/pitch correction.

Digitial recording itself is fucking cheating, when you get right down to it.
If everyone who got on their high horse about certain techniques, knew quite frankly how easy it ALL was, we wouldn't have to have these snobbish arguments.

I loathe the digital pitch correction (auto-tune).
Hate it, hate it, hate it. The actual sound, the laziness, the insincerity.
But it's not anymore chaeting than a programmed drum track.
Are you ready to throw out all your albums with canned beats?

Bono sang thru a distortion pedal on The Fly to sound more creepy and to boost his lower range. In fact, almost all singers (even the Indie bands) have to do something to bring the voice up because it's naturally a weaker tone than the amplified instruments. Boosting volume alone sometimes doesn't give the desired effect. Sure, not all of them do it but you certainly can tell the difference. It all depends on the sound of the original instrument. Most of these people just don't have the pipes. We want it to sound good don't we?

Thom Yorke is fucking notorious for tricking up his voice.
You want to know why Pitchfork hasn't gone on a digi-vox rant?
They know all of this. The voice is an instrument.

I don't want to sound AT ALL like I am defending that horrid auto-tuning bullshit.
But if it's 'cheating' then we are gonna have to talk about all of it in the same light.
I can make a hip hop song (sans vox) in 5 minutes that might sound something like a Kanye West track. Lay down some drum beats, get a loop from an old record, voila. Now, would it really sound like something that Kanye might have poured months into? Would it have the same heart, the same feeling, the same groove/textures?

Of course not.
But if one is cheating, it's all cheating.
Because the mechanics are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom