Charli XCX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love that song. Love this album. I haven't heard it in like a month. I think I need to fix that. Thanks Mobvok.

So, Charli announced a fall headline tour. Can't decide if that means new album imminent or not. Would she tour the same material plus two b-sides twice?

I didn't know why bono_212 was thanking me a few posts ago, and then realized it was from June 2013. :lol: I see this thread didn't light up when Fancy broke huge.

Damn, I thought there was going to be an album announcement in this thread. If I get one more facebook post from her about another remix of Boom, Clap, her head's the next thing that's gonna go boom.

ah cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqEX0mbvb0

it sounds by the date and description that this performance of Stay Away predates the album recording, and I think she made a great choice both ways- the spacey atmosphere of the studio version is fun, but hard to replicate live; while this keeps the bones of the song while focusing mainly on her.

my youtube digging turned up a live version of Boom Clap she played on the Today show, and there it sounds like her backing band figured out that there's a vocal melody that should be rising for the last third of the song and makes the chorus repeat a bit more interesting.

Guys...I heard Boom Clap on the radio tonight. Not just an indie station, either. It was the big one: Kiss FM.

Whatever happens from this point out...if she pulls a fun. on me and goes completely "commercial", if I find myself unable to stand her a year from now, just know this...for those three minutes, I was ecstatically happy for her.

How the fuck is it a big deal to hear Charli XCX on a major pop station? Have you fucking heard of "Fancy" or "I Love It"? This bitch has been on the biggest song of both this AND last summer. She's been unavoidable on major pop stations for over a year now.

Features don't mean shit. Successful rappers throw their weed carriers on tracks all the time and they go nowhere as solo artists.

Charli never charted here as a solo artist until Boom Clap and now she's at #14 on her own. That's a huge jump. I'm guessing her next album sells more than 12,000 copies.

Last edited:
How the fuck is it a big deal to hear Charli XCX on a major pop station? Have you fucking heard of "Fancy" or "I Love It"? This bitch has been on the biggest song of both this AND last summer. She's been unavoidable on major pop stations for over a year now.

Not much to say beyond her not being even near audible on "I Love It" and "Fancy" not being her song. Obviously features helped boost her, I'm just pleased that she's getting to that point now on her own.

Damn, now here's an artist who totally slipped off my radar after their album failed to stick with me. "You're the One", "Nuclear Seasons", and "Stay Away" remain cool tracks but I fear I've already largely lost interest in Charli XCX. Still, good for her in getting so much exposure of late and I hope her next album perhaps achieves more of the potential of her best tracks.

PS Hey GAF, when did you go from being a pretty cool guy to grumpily chewing out people? Perhaps I've missed the part where this started as some kind of drunk inside joke, but every time I've seen you post lately it's just to talk down to other posters.

It goes in phases, Ax man. I should be good when summer's over and I don't have so much time on my hands.

Also, I genuinely love Trashley so I feel comfortable talking shit to them.

Some of the other people I talk shit to I actually don't like.

But let's talk about Charli. "Fancy" is fucking awesome. Still need to hear her album. Way late on that, I know.

As well you should. :up: It's cool.

Charli claims she's making a...punk album next. Inspired by the Hives. With all of her recent pop success, it wouldn't surprise me if the label makes her shelve it and release some bullshit, but that's the word for now.

I have high hopes for her. True Romance was great.

Last edited:
It goes in phases, Ax man. I should be good when summer's over and I don't have so much time on my hands.

Oh good good. I'd just got to wondering!

Charli claims she's making a...punk album next. Inspired by the Hives. With all of her recent pop success, it wouldn't surprise me if the label makes her shelve it and release some bullshit, but that's the word for now.

This would definitely rekindle my interest. I take her as the assertive type who would tell her label where to go if they tried to shelve it.

New Album:

charli-xcx-sucker.jpg

New song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exKlnBmsF84

October 21st.

Punk rock from Venus :rockon:

aka "the Boom Clap check cleared".

it's kind of a high wire act Charli's pulling, between "dumb" and "pop". I think she's smart enough to pull it off and comes down on the right side; as a first impression I like it and think it's pretty solid.

Yeah, my gut response is good, but how it's going to sound two months from now by the time the album friggin' comes out- sort of boom or bust.

I've voiced my concern many times over that she's going to release something bubble-gum pop radio friendly. That's not inherently a bad thing, I'm just afraid of it not sounding like her. Eh, it is what it is, I suppose.

Sucker is streaming on iTunes.

I think it's a clean stream, but it may just be the first track with ironic censorship (a la Protect Ya Neck); there's nothing approaching explicit on most of these tracks.

Despite the presence of Boom Clap, this IS a rock album, albeit with lots of electronic touches. Breaking Up sounds like an Elastica track. Play it fucking loud.

OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fuck me. I have some stuff to do that prevents me from listening.

Soon, Charli.

Soon.

Alright, here we go.

Intro was fine, Break the Rules continues to grow on me, and the third track was silly fun. I'm happy so far.

Got caught up in work and baseball related stuff, sorry.

Listened to the album twice. I'm not 100% sure how I felt, while I loved True Romance on first listen. This was certainly enjoyable, but it didn't sound nearly as innovative, for pop music. I'm expecting it to grow on me, because the songs are catchy as hell.

Definitely something I liked, at any rate.

Back
Top Bottom