Charli XCX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure why you don't rate "How Can I", Ashley. It's one of the weaker tracks, I'll agree, but it's ahead of "Grins" and "Set Me Free". Maybe "What I Like" too.

As for LM's keepers, I agree, but definitely add "You're the One". At the moment I'm inclined to suggest it's her best song, just ahead of "Nuclear Seasons" and "Stay Away".

Also, much as I enjoy "You (Ha Ha Ha)", every time I hear it I just want to listen to Gold Panda's original instead.

It just tries so hard to be something, but it never quite gets there, for me. I feel the raw emotion for a second, but then it never crescendos into anything else.

Pretty much I'd rank it something like:

Best Songs Ever ZOMG!!@!!?##:
Nuclear Seasons
Take My Hand
Stay Away
Set Me Free
What I Like
You're the One
Lock You Up

Great Songs:
You (Ha Ha Ha)
Black Roses

Good:
Grins
So Far Away
How Can I

WTF?
Cloud Aura

The Dogs enjoyed it. The Dogs do not know how often they will come back to it, but The Dogs gave it a good few listens and were pleased.

The Dogs feel that 2-3 tracks will make it onto the next playlist they build for themselves for general listening at work now and then.

Grin and Take My Hand seems to be the tracks The Dogs like best.

Hearing Charli on my radio every day is really getting to be bittersweet to me. I know it's her, but does anyone else?

But she's being pretty cool about it:

Do you ever wish you hadn't given that track away?
No, never. My album doesn't sound like that and it took me so long to make this album. If I had taken that song I would have had to re-write the whole f**king album. It wouldn't have come out until 2018.

Charli XCX: 'I'm glad I gave 'I Love It' to Icona Pop' | Gigwise

Would I like this record? Which song should I listen to as a test? Maybe I'll just wait until she releases her fourth album and just listen to that.

Edit, nevermind. I just did a quick google search and then clicked google images. I'll be purchasing everything she has ever released.

Bee En Em.

I'll give this album a shot based on So Far Away, which is quite great. The review described it as having the "sun-dappled lushness of The Avalanches".

:)

I agree with the score. Really great album, not quite worth SUPER effusive praise, but it's a strong pop album that should be given special notice so the BNM is cool.

:happy:

This was the first night in a week and a half that I didn't check Pitchfork at midnight to see if they'd finally reviewed this. I'd given up.

Decent review too. It's over the top in it's attempted Internet comparisons, but at its heart there's certainly a good amount of, "Hey, this is what the album sounds like and this is why we like it."

Called this shit!

I really like the album, but that review is hall of fame-worthy bad. You can tell the writer was just looking so hard for a reason to use the word "detritus," probably because it popped up on his word-of-the-day calendar a while ago.

It's 90s postmodern! Who would have thought that I was clever enough to use that term?!

I still need to listen to it. Have only heard one or two singles, but liked the both quite a bit.

Am I going fucking insane, or are there about six people in this thread who have never ever said anything about UK female pop music? Why the fuck are all of you all over this shit?

How the fuck is this any different than the dozens of artists in this same vein that Cori and I have been pimping for YEARS over here, that none of you have ever showed any interest in?

GAF God forbid that an uninitiated listener discover a sound that they enjoy through an artist that didn't pioneer that sound. Fuck all those Bob Dylan fans for not working through the Woody Guthrie discography before idolizing an inferior follower. There's no way they'll ever discover the good shit now. It's not like a format exists that allows people to listen to performances of music that occurred in the past.

Did you like the album or not?

For what it's worth, I think that it'd be quite pleasant to make sex upon Charli XCX.

Grantland has a tank of an article about Charli

When I ask Charli about "I Love It" — if she feels even a twinge of regret — she cuts me off: "Everyone asks that." After writing a song, Charli can usually pair it with a visual. (An example: the video for "You (Ha Ha Ha)," in which Charli and a crew of female assassins pop off with lipstick bullets.) After writing "I Love It," nothing visual came to mind. She felt it didn't reflect her life at the time, that she couldn't connect with it. "It's elevated me as a writer," she says. "And it's paying off a load of debt that I'm in. Which is great, yeah? It's making my record label happy and it's making my publisher happy, but it's also enabling me to say, 'I'm gonna make the weirdest second album ever! And no one can stop me! 'Cause I made you loads of money!'"

She's not joking: "It's kind of actually freaking them out. I sent my record label this Serge Gainsbourg song the other day and they were like, 'What?' And I was like, 'Don't worry, you just don't get it, but you will.'" She pauses. "They will."

That's awesome. I feel less bad now. I'll feel even better once she gets her own song on the radio, if that ever happens.

Ugh, why aren't you guys talking about an underrated song like Stay Awa-

*reads thread*

no wait, sorry, carry on. It's well rated. Stay away. Stay away. why couldn't you

Back
Top Bottom