Chairlift - Something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Without posting the entire album in the form of youtube videos, I'll also say that "Wrong Opinion" is another great track.

I like this pretty well. It's a bit front-loaded, but maybe I'll grow to like the rest too. I like their sound.

Bruises annoys me. Their new sound is harder and cooler.

Congrats on getting my google ads changed to old people stairlift thingies

Bruises would have been a great soundtrack to old people falling down in excruciating pain without their stairlift thingies

What in the hell was that?!

I see why you posted it, but where in the hell did it come from?

The Pusher Robot and the Shover Robot is an old internet meme that I forget the exact origin of. I think it came from Something Awful.

A "band" called The Laziest Men on Mars made that song back in 2001 and then someone made a video for it.

The same group created the song Invasion of the Gabber Robots, AKA "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" about the same time.

My copy showed up yesterday, I've only had the chance to listen through it once. I really liked everything except for the last 3 songs or so (which could have just been me not paying attention towards the end, and I could have a completely different opinion on my next time through it). Glad I bought it, good stuff.

I can't see one of those stairlift thingies without thinking about that crotchety old bitch getting thrown out here window in Gremlins

ParkCity.Utah.ChairLift-600x799.jpg

kinda dig "met before." the first one and the one DB posted, not so much.

Just finished this album. I enjoyed it substantially, but I am not quite sure how much replay value it will have. It is one of those times in which I loved a bunch of the songs while they were playing, but could not recall them at all once the album had finished.

This album has like 5-6 of my favorite songs of the year and then a bunch of stuff that's pretty average. I have a hard time ranking it.

I do know that these guys are extremely capable of making something consistently fantastic. It's just a matter of when.

I feel that way about this one, Grimes, and Purity Ring. I love about half of the tracks from all of them, and am somewhat bored by the rest.

Still like them all quite a bit though.

I have never soured on an album as much as I did Grimes. But boy do I hate it now, when it was #1 on my list for like 3 months.

Purity Ring is pretty great throughout, but not amazing.

Meanwhile, there are 4 songs on this album that are the greatest of things released this year. Love love love.

FTR: I have NO IDEA why you keep comparing these three albums. To my ears they sound not a thing alike.

I don't know why either. I suppose Grimes and Chairlift came out around the same time, and Purity Ring seems like they're in the same vein of music. I don't mean it as a bad thing though, they'll all probably be in my top 20.

I didn't mean my post as a bad thing either, just curious. I have to use Google Chrome at school and I can't hot-key italics, so I end up capitalizing out of laziness, and it makes my posting look far more aggressive.

I mentally group together Grimes, Purity Ring, iamamiwhoami, and Chairlift. They just seem to belong to a similar sort of sound and aesthetic, though Chairlift perhaps the least of the four.

For my money, I think Something is the weakest of the bunch, but I still really like it and it'll certainly place well on my year-end list. I think kin will place the highest of the four, though Visions has really grown on me. I was initially more interested in just the first few tracks and "Be a Body", but now it's turned into a more full-album sort of experience ... and her live show was really excellent. Then again, so was Chairlift's. Purity Ring won't be here until March and I'm not holding out hopes iamamiwhoami will be rushing down here.

So I hear! Got my tickets the moment they went on sale. Really looking forward to it.

Purity Ring is my favorite of those three and will likely place in my top ten of the year. Perhaps I'm just not up on my witch-house or electro-gaze or whatever the hell genre they get labeled as, but Shrines is a unique-sounding album for me.

Visions has three great songs and a lot of pretty OK dance music with ear-piercing vocals. I don't get it. Purity Ring is cool but they have lots of room to improve.

I'll agree with Ax that iamamiwhoami is the most talented act of the batch. Kin is great.

Back
Top Bottom