Cassette Store Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we're all sophisticated enough to laugh at this:

tumblr_static_cassette-store-day-2013-light-bg.png

Be back in a few, guys, gotta go to the laser disc store to rent a few videos for my VCR.

laser disc

This is the format above all others that I simply cannot understand. The first time I saw one (which actually was not too long ago), I kept staring at it trying to figure out what advantage it could possibly offer.

Dualdiscs were pretty ridiculous as well.

This is the format above all others that I simply cannot understand. The first time I saw one (which actually was not too long ago), I kept staring at it trying to figure out what advantage it could possibly offer.

At the time they were awesome, but super expensive. There was no digital alternative

That one was definitely never a presence in my life until much later.

I didn't even know they existed until late in high school when we watched a video on one. Even then, when the teacher pulled them out, I thought he was joking.

I believe my dad still has Tremors on Laserdisc. I actually think he owns that movie on every format it's been released on. Laserdisc was pretty awesome during the relatively short period before things moved to DVD. I remember we'd only watch my friend's copies of the Star Wars movies on Laserdisc, because they were the only digital versions available without the special edition junk for quite a while.

At the time they were awesome, but super expensive. There was no digital alternative

This. VHS is one of the worst medias ever. A significant improvement, even if they look poor compared to DVDs.

Plus, the Criterion Collection started on LDs. Lot of good stuff there.

I'm going to side with Ashley here - I wish we still had a VCR, because we've got so many fucking VHS tapes that we can't watch anymore because the VCR carked it and you can't buy new ones obviously.

Not a problem for stuff that's readily available on DVD, Blu-Ray etc, but what about all the family videos, taped shows, sports videos that came out years ago and were never re-released!

Goes without saying DVDs are miles better, and VHS sucked (rewinding? Quality eroding? Fuck that) but we had no alternative. No idea what laserdisc is.

Yeah, I hope you guys are just referring to VHS being a horrible media thanks to repeat decay, because obviously the format at its best is still being used today by professionals.

Only reason I keep my VCR around is because I find the commercials from 10-15 years ago when I used to actually use it are fucking hilarious. Labor Day sale at Nobody Beats the Wiz LOL.

I lost count of the amount of times I watched the 60s Batman film or Daffy Duck's Fantastic Island that we taped off the TV. I can still recall a few of the ads even though I haven't seen either in years.

I believe my dad still has Tremors on Laserdisc. I actually think he owns that movie on every format it's been released on. Laserdisc was pretty awesome during the relatively short period before things moved to DVD. I remember we'd only watch my friend's copies of the Star Wars movies on Laserdisc, because they were the only digital versions available without the special edition junk for quite a while.

OMFG F41L! Laserdisc is analog.

22764945.jpg

You've made a fool of me. I will hang myself this morning. Goodbye, "friends".

Remember kids: stay in school, don't do drugs, and hang the dj--not yourself!

Back
Top Bottom