Cassette Store Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first job after college was the mall record store - Tape World.

Yeah.

Then that store closed and I moved to its sister store - Record Town.

Yeah.

I actually still have a discman. I used it to listen to NLOTH for the first time, with my nice headphones. It has a radio on it as well, which came in handy to loan to a friend at the Seattle U2 show, so she could keep tabs on the hockey game with her Vancouver team while she was in the GA line.

My best Discman ever was probably my yellow Sony Sports one.

41opOmDeczL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

By that time they actually used memory buffers to avoid skipping. I still own a portable CD player that I got for free with a pair of Bose headphones. Haven't used it in years.

As far as nostalgia, I probably have fonder memories of my Walkman, but probably more to do with the stage of my life rather than the actual device. It was the really cool one that collapsed to the size of a cassette case so you could carry in one of those portable cassette holders. I got it in sixth grade and it lasted all the way through high school. In fact, I think it's still at my parents' house somewhere and it still works.

wm10.jpg

I actually found the last Discman I purchased in a box with some other old electronics a few months back. Will have to try to remember to take some pics of it and the MiniDisc stuff I had in the same box.

I still own multiple discmans. Used one just the other week on the plane out to Vegas. Listened to Yeezus for the first time on one.

My iPod died.

Does the fact that I'm looking for a early 20th century upright record player make me a twat? I'm into antiques, not being a hipster

I was at a friend's cottage the other week (different than the one I mentioned last night) and he's got it all decked out in antiques and kitsch. He had one similar to this in perfect working condition. He's got it loaded with old jazz.. Billie Holiday records and the like. It was fucking awesome to sit and listen to

1large.JPG

Did you have any cheese in the cottage? hahahahahahahahahhahahahahah!!1!!1!1hhahaha!!!1!!11lol!!!!omg!!!!111!!!!

I was at a friend's cottage the other week (different than the one I mentioned last night) and he's got it all decked out in antiques and kitsch. He had one similar to this in perfect working condition. He's got it loaded with old jazz.. Billie Holiday records and the like. It was fucking awesome to sit and listen to

1large.JPG

Your friend sounds like a bag of dicks.

That thing is awesome. And "antique collector" is a nice euphemism for "hipster twat." :wink:

Yeah, bit of pot kettle black about that, JT...

I was being sarcastic.
What does collecting antiques have to do with hipsterism? I literally don't know one hipster into antiques. the guy who owns the juke box is a 45 year old with no wife (well, husband) or kids (ie, money), so he's got a ton of awesome old furniture and odds and ends (also has an impressive collection of vintage neon street signs).
There's a big difference in wanting an old, aesthetically pleasing piece of history (record player and otherwise) and wanting to listen to music on a 20 year old piece of shit technology just because nobody uses it anymore

Back
Top Bottom