Captain Beefheart (aka Don Van Vliet) - 1941-2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy shit. When picking CDs to listen to in the car today, I took Trout Mask Replica with me, an album I hadn't listened to in years.

:ohmy:

Holy shit. When picking CDs to listen to in the car today, I took Trout Mask Replica with me, an album I hadn't listened to in years.

:ohmy:

now look what you've done!

i didn't know any of his music, but he was on my list, and someone i had always heard a lot about. sad.

Shit, this really crappy radio station here that plays awesome music has this tendency to ramble on and on and on about pretentious things, and today they were being REALLY bad about some artist, about how fantastic he is and all this stuff he did. So, I left the station on just waiting to find out who they were describing and then cracked up when I found out it was Captain Beefheart, because they were really going over the top. I didn't realize they were saying all that because he died. I am an ass.

I was there when Captain Beefhart started up his first band.
I told him, "Don't do it that way, you'll never make a dime."

photo_blackim_beefheart.jpg

I don't have many positive things to say about his music, but I will say that he had a lot of batshit/cool ideas that occasionally translated properly and that his attitude towards music was a very awesome one. RIP.

I don't have many positive things to say about his music, but I will say that he had a lot of batshit/cool ideas that occasionally translated properly and that his attitude towards music was a very awesome one. RIP.

That's how I feel. I know a lot of people really dug and respected him. I can get behind that.

:lol:

for some reason my brain is telling me that U2, or Bono, were in some way inspired, or really into Beefheart, but i can't remember why or where i read it... can someone explain?

I know that I've read that at least one of them was into him, yeah. Thinking about it, though, U2 being even remotely interested in the Zappa wing of rock makes little sense to me, these days...

Back
Top Bottom