Broken Social Scene ARE the new Menudo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Houston has this new two day festival called Summer Fest. BSS are there this weekend. They're also playing Dallas Friday night, where I may be headed this weekend for a friend's birthday.

So yeah, there's a chance I may see BSS again this weekend. Kewl.

I was going to head to that festival in Houston this weekend (and also to see a friend). I am sorta kicking myself. Hope you get to see them.

New BSS LP in May, woot!

Pitchfork: Kevin Drew Reveals All About New Broken Social Scene Album

From the interview:
Kevin Drew said:
I remember when U2's single ["Get On Your Boots"] came out, I thought, "All right, what's it gonna be? What's the man gonna sing about?" And Bono's opening line was like, "I don't wanna talk about politics, I just wanna rock!" And I thought, "Uh oh-- we're in trouble." This is a crazy state of limbo right now and we tried to embrace it and bring those subjects up here and there. We've always been a band that sings about exactly what's inside of us and exactly what's happening outside as well. Like, if we're screaming, let's have something to scream about.

weird quote about Bono, lol. he kind of missed the overall point of GOYB. with that said, i cannot fucking wait for this album.

I think even Boner missed the overall point of getting yer boots on.

Hopefully it's considerably better than the "featuring" albums.

Ahhhh shit. Other than the next THE NASH! album, this might be my most anticipated now. Absolutely great news.

And what are you talking about, Scums? The Presents albums were awesome.

To my ears they had like 2 or 3 songs each that were "good", nothing "great", and the rest was all pretty much filler. They weren't bad by any means, but they really didn't live up to the Broken Social Scene name for me.

On a side note, it's crazy how fast the whole Canadian indie invasion scene died.

I can see the Canning album suffering from the two or three good songs thing for some people, but KD's was pretty great front to back. In any case, understandable sentiment there.

It's admittedly been a year or two since I last listened to it, maybe I'll have to give it another spin this week.

So, I found out that one of my professors is good friends with Julie Penner of BSS (and Do Make Say Think). Fucking awesomeness.

Only had a chance to listen to it once while I was getting ready for work this morning, but I like what I heard quite a bit.

Fantastic song. Forgiveness Rock Record!

BSS.jpg

Let the hype officially commence. I'm already losing my shit.

Huge deal. I can't believe it's been five years.

Maybe we need a "Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record" thread. I'm tired of thinking about Dalton lusting after a young Ricky Martin.

yeah, i would say i'm losing my shit over this song too. if the rest of the tracks are as good as this one...:drool:

May 4.

This new track sounds terrific. Oh, the drums :drool: This reminds me of Explosions In The Sky crossed with, I dunno, something from You Forgot It In People, maybe Pacific Theme in the verses and KC Accidental in the chorus. I usually hate it when Pitchfork reveals their biases in article titles like that, but "epic" is a perfect descriptor for this.

Um, fuck me and my ears. The polyrhythms in this song are going to make me eargasm every time I hear it. May 4th can't come soon enough.

Very surprised by the effusive love, after listening to this track several times, since yesterday. Not to mention seeing one of the worst album covers in years and then reading an equally humiliating title. I hope it's (damn) good, but I admit...I really, really missed the Newfeld sound, on this track. Sounds too Chicago-post-rock, though I don't think it's a bad song. I just think it's all right. Pretty decent, even. Just sounds really small, in comparison. Hoping for the best, come what may.

The change in production style was actually something I really dug about it. To me it sounds more spacious, sort of more like their live show. Cover art and title don't bother me one bit. Definitely not as good of art as the self titled, but YFGIP is pretty unremarkable and I'm not fan of Feel Good Lost's.

I get this big stupid grin on my face when the unapologetically BSSy guitar line comes in at 0:52. May 4 can't get here soon enough. They're playing the tiny ass Parish during SXSW. Even though I saw them twice just last year, I gotta get in that thing.

Back
Top Bottom