Broken Social Scene ARE the new Menudo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This album is gonna cook. Both tracks released have been good, good shit.

It releases next week.

FYI, the CD is $8.00 on Amazon right now, that's cheaper than the digital versions of the album.

Amazon had lowered the price of the cd to $7 yesterday, not sure if it's still at that price, but I assume it's close.

Looking forward to listening to my copy tonight.

Holy shit! Broken Social Scene dropped a new song. Well it's from an Arts & Crafts comp and was recorded during the sessions for Forgiveness Rock Record, but new to us.

“Golden Facelift” is a song recorded during the Forgiveness Rock Record sessions, but ultimately did not make the final cut for one reason or another. It is a song we as a band all felt strongly about lyrically and musically and we wanted to give it a proper unveiling when the time was right. We feel that chance is now as this year draws to a close. 2014 has not been without its beauty, but it has also been a year of incredible brutality and all of humanity has a great deal to answer for. Broken Social Scene aims to echo the voice and concerns of the underdog while creating music that will hopefully inspire those who are doing good and useful things for this planet and humankind.

I like it. Would give me great joy if they put out new music again this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YFWxqnnmqE

Really excited about this. I hope Lisa is on board, and it would be great to see Emily or Feist contribute some songs.

Last edited:
Stoked to be seeing them tomorrow and Friday! Hopefully they are re-energized, the last time I saw them Kevin and Lisa seemed extremely burnt out.

This was incredible. They were so genuinely happy to be back together, it was visible. And they sounded pretty amazing. Amy Milan joined them, too (NSW would be happy).

They seem really serious about getting back together. I doubt it's a one off album from what Kevin was saying. And I definitely expect a tour.

They played a new song - Gonna Get Better. It's a female lead over a beat, with guitars for color. Slower tempo, but some resemblance to All to All (not as good though). The lyrics in the chorus stood out as not good ("it's gonna get better because it can't get any worse" or something), but I need to hear it in context.

Anyways, I can't believe these guys are back. I seriously missed them. Seeing this show live made me so fucking happy.

Ashley will be happy to know they played Anthems :hides:

Last edited:
I was there too gump! Very cool show last night, a lot of joyful chaos (sound mix was not the best though where I was standing), and it seems like Kevin Drew has his groove back and is happy again (he was visibly not in a good place last time I saw them five years ago). Kinda glad Lisa appears to be gone - nice voice but very stiff. Hopefully they have air coolers for Amy today, won't be fun performing that pregnant in this heat!

I was there too gump! Very cool show last night, a lot of joyful chaos (sound mix was not the best though where I was standing), and it seems like Kevin Drew has his groove back and is happy again (he was visibly not in a good place last time I saw them five years ago). Kinda glad Lisa appears to be gone - nice voice but very stiff. Hopefully they have air coolers for Amy today, won't be fun performing that pregnant in this heat!

Agreed on the sound, and it got fucking loud in the second half of the show. My poor eardrums.

Amy is so pregnant that I was afraid she might give birth in the middle of the "Anthems".

She was stiff on stage but she is a fucking angel and I will not stand for it

Seriously. I will join you in fighting anyone who says a bad thing about her. #TeamLisa.

Pitchfork savaged it.

If you don't expect too much from “Halfway Home,” you might not be let down. The first Broken Social Scene song in seven years—from their as-yet-untitled fifth LP—falls squarely in line with the Broken Social Scene of old. Sweeping chorus? Instrumental pile-ons? Stoned philosophizing from sorta-frontman Kevin Drew? The gang’s all here. “Halfway Home” is a solid Broken Social Scene song, rousing and multivalent in the manner to which we've become accustomed. Which is precisely why this one never quite achieves the dizzying heights of a great Broken Social Scene song: “Halfway Home” meets every expectation, exceeding none.

The enthusiasm these people have for sharing space remains infectious; their ability to meld the 13 musicians credited on “Halfway Home” together still generates plenty of heat. In the classic Broken Social Scene mode, instruments seem to transform mid-measure: stratospheric strings bleeding into punch-drunk horn blasts and back again. Brendan Canning’s bass leads the charge here, guiding this ragtag assemblage towards the summit as Drew and Ariel Engle shout down the darkness, looking for the light. You can either take “Halfway Home” as a neat five-minute distillation of everything Broken Social Scene do well, or a kind of deviation toward the mean: get all these old friends in a room together and they’ll seek some sort of consensus. But the very best Broken Social Scene songs have always been the oddballs, the ones that felt like they could spin off in almost any direction. This isn’t one of them.

A fair criticism, but a bit of a shitty reason not to like the song. I can enjoy it for what it is (a very enjoyable, if-not-groundbreaking or game-changing song).

It is very good. This is my most anticipated album of the year. They were incredible when I saw them last year, clearly happy to be playing again. This gives me hope that the album will be something special.

Back
Top Bottom