Broken Social Scene ARE the new Menudo! - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #211
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
on second listen, The Ode to Josef Fritzl is pretty good.
What is this?

Friggin' Cobbler.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #212
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 PM
I went to my local indie record store today at 2pm (when their shipments are supposed to arrive) to pick up my copy of the album. As I walked in, the guy looks at me and says, "Sorry, it's not coming until tomorrow."

Indie fail.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #213
Blue Crack Addict

How To Write A Hipster Review:

1. Establish your indie cred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
As a very, very long-time BSS fan (well, since YFIIP, anyway),
2. Express disappointment with new material.

Quote:
I just wanted to chime in to express profound disappointment.
3. Explain how the old stuff was so much better.

Quote:
but when you compare this sound to the last two OG BSS albums, you know what I mean), don't like the lyrics or especially the vocals, don't like the melodies, don't like...well, anything. "World Sick" is okay, and I do actively like "Meet Me In The Basement," but even that sounds a lot better live. I'll never forget seeing them in Tokyo, about 2.5 years ago, and seeing them play that with most of the crew + Stars + some Japanese kids/fans they met on the subway, that afternoon. AMAZING. This version's good, for sure. But I do wish that it was longer, and more krauty a la the live version.
4. Emote like the older, 'wiser' Emo kid you really are ...

Quote:
Again, please don't hate. I'm not hating. I'm just sad. And I wonder if anybody feels the same way. Maybe...? Anyway, continue. I don't mean to derail. I'm just speechless, as I didn't see this coming.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #214
A childless dog

Local Time: 11:08 AM
It's missing a pointless anecdote about a personal experience that relates to the topic at hand in a tenuous manner, begging questions such as "who the fuck is this guy?" and "why should I care?" Otherwise, yep, it's prototypical.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #215
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It's missing a pointless anecdote about a personal experience that relates to the topic at hand in a tenuous manner, begging questions such as "who the fuck is this guy?" and "why should I care?" Otherwise, yep, it's prototypical.
Ahem

Quote:
I'll never forget seeing them in Tokyo, about 2.5 years ago, and seeing them play that with most of the crew + Stars + some Japanese kids/fans they met on the subway, that afternoon. AMAZING.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Why do you seem to be so angry with me, all the time? Genuine question. Hilarious try, though! I apologize for not liking a record whose songs I dislike, just like their first album, Beehives, and the two Presents... records.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #217
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Why do you seem to be so angry with me, all the time? Genuine question. Hilarious try, though!
Ah shouter, we both know that I'm not angry. I am, however, bemused by your consistent and predictable pattern of criticism. I read your review to my two year old. She said you need to rewatch Ratatouille:

YouTube - Ratatouille(2007)-the critic Ego's review
Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #218
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't understand how I'm wrong for not liking a group of songs I don't like...? I only like 1.5 BSS records to begin with. But given that I already have disliked most of the band's catalog (but LOOOOOOOOOOOVED one record and half of the s-t), I suppose that it is rather predictable that, you know, my taste is consistent. I haven't ever really, really, really disliked their stuff until most of this record, though.

And what is that predictable pattern not of criticism, but rather admitting that I simply don't like something? Have I failed in some way by accepting and explaining my opinions?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #219
A childless dog

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Ahem
I think that can be filed under establishing indie cred.

I was referring to shit like this:

Quote:

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Radiohead: Kid A

I had never even seen a shooting star before. 25 years of rotations, passes through comets' paths, and travel, and to my memory I had never witnessed burning debris scratch across the night sky. Radiohead were hunched over their instruments. Thom Yorke slowly beat on a grand piano, singing, eyes closed, into his microphone like he was trying to kiss around a big nose. Colin Greenwood tapped patiently on a double bass, waiting for his cue. White pearls of arena light swam over their faces. A lazy disco light spilled artificial constellations inside the aluminum cove of the makeshift stage. The metal skeleton of the stage ate one end of Florence's Piazza Santa Croce, on the steps of the Santa Croce Cathedral. Michelangelo's bones and cobblestone laid beneath. I stared entranced, soaking in Radiohead's new material, chiseling each sound into the best functioning parts of my brain which would be the only sound system for the material for months.

The butterscotch lamps along the walls of the tight city square bled upward into the cobalt sky, which seemed as strikingly artificial and perfect as a wizard's cap. The staccato piano chords ascended repeatedly. "Black eyed angels swam at me," Yorke sang like his dying words. "There was nothing to fear, nothing to hide." The trained critical part of me marked the similarity to Coltrane's "Ole." The human part of me wept in awe.

The Italians surrounding me held their breath in communion (save for the drunken few shouting "Criep!"). Suddenly, a rise of whistles and orgasmic cries swept unfittingly through the crowd. The song, "Egyptian Song," was certainly momentous, but wasn't the response more apt for, well, "Creep?" I looked up. I thought it was fireworks. A teardrop of fire shot from space and disappeared behind the church where the syrupy River Arno crawled. Radiohead had the heavens on their side.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't understand how I'm wrong for not liking a group of songs I don't like...? I only like 1.5 BSS records to begin with. But given that I already have disliked most of the band's catalog (but LOOOOOOOOOOOVED one record and half of the s-t), I suppose that it is rather predictable that, you know, my taste is consistent. I haven't ever really, really, really disliked their stuff until most of this record, though.

And what is that predictable pattern not of criticism, but rather admitting that I simply don't like something? Have I failed in some way by accepting and explaining my opinions?
I don't care if you like or dislike this album. I've only heard it once while I was making phone calls, so I don't have an opinion at this time. I, like you, don't love much of their back catalogue (I only love YFIIP).

So why do I mock you? You put yourself there as a critic and a fairly predictable one at that. If it's new, you're probably dig it. As it gets older, popular or developed, your opinion begins to sour. Then when it no longer passes the frat-party test, you're disappointed that it (whatever "it" may be) has lost its original magic. So, to answer your question, I mock because I am a critic of critics. Isn't that ironic as a motherfucker? I've got a mustache.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #221
Blue Crack Addict

I wouldn't fret too much though, Shouter, I'm kind of a douchebag.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I've got a mustache.
This non sequitur ending is an homage to Old Spice and their new ad campaign, albeit a poor one.

/critic of critic of critic
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #223
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, thank you for clarifying. I do say that genuinely, as it helps me to understand. I just cannot believe, though, that after posting together for so many years, you so wildly and fundamentally misunderstand even a sliver of my taste or person. Staggering! My favorite bands of all time are The Beatles and U2, dude!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
This non sequitur ending is an homage to Old Spice and their new ad campaign, albeit a poor one.

/critic of critic of critic
It's actually an homage to Old Lazarus, who is also a poor one.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #225
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Well, thank you for clarifying. I do say that genuinely, as it helps me to understand. I just cannot believe, though, that after posting together for so many years, you so wildly and fundamentally misunderstand even a sliver of my taste or person. Staggering! My favorite bands of all time are The Beatles and U2, dude!
And I'm really surprised you're taking me so seriously. I only mock you because you take yourself so seriously.

Don't sweat it. You keep doing what you do and I'll keep ribbing you.

Tags
broken social scene